U2 frontman Bono apologizes for foisting 'Songs of Innocence' on unsuspecting iTunes users

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

You'll love Spotify (great song discovery features).

+1, I think Spotify is great, I've completely stopped buying music because of it and has saved me at least 2,000 CHF a year putting my kids on it as well. My daughter especially, she used to spend a little over a 100 CHF a month on iTunes purchases, now, I can't even remember the last time any of us have actually even started iTunes.

• Reply 62 of 67
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

The real issue was that people who had automatic downloads turned on weren't given enough information about the implications of this, or enough notice to turn it off.

For some of these people it was pushed to their mobile devices over cellular, which had the potential to eat up their entire data allowance or even cost them hundreds of dollars for exceeding the allocated mobile data cap on their plan. When you view it that way hundreds of dollars does seem like an awful lot pay for something you didn't purchase.

Your exaggeration of data use is ridiculous.  The album was 97.1 MB.  Hardly would that exceed a data allowance when most people pay for GBs of data per month on their smartphone.  There are options to turn off automatic downloads, and an option to limit automatic downloads to Wi-Fi only.  I am amazed Apple had to make a tool to delete the album because people could not figure out how to delete songs from their phone, or to go into the iTunes Store to browse their purchases to mouse over the X to delete the album.  Demonstrates how dumb some people could be.  I love free music.  Provides opportunity to discover something new.  If I don't like it, I delete it from iTunes.

• Reply 63 of 67
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Smarky View Post

What Apple and U2 did with this was disgusting. An half assed apology like this is not good enough.

Bono is a complete ****.

Next time Apple decides to give you something for free, be sure to tell them to F*&K OFF because you don't like free stuff.  If you don't like it, don't download it and delete it from your purchases.  It is not that hard to do.  Then you can go back to enjoying your Justin Bieber collection.

• Reply 64 of 67
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Next time Apple decides to give you something for free, be sure to tell them to F*&K OFF because you don't like free stuff.  If you don't like it, don't download it and delete it from your purchases.  It is not that hard to do.  Then you can go back to enjoying your Justin Bieber collection.

Yea and your mother dresses you funny too.

• Reply 65 of 67
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member
    bingo1 wrote: »

Let's say you are a diabetic and someone gives you free pineapples.  Wonder how high you'll jump and how deep you'll be buried in afterwards.  If everything free is good...  LOL

Ummmm, riiiight?.....
    Just because its given to you, doesn't mean you have to eat it.
    People can make their choice, even a kid knows these things.
    Im not diabetic, pineapples are so so for me (kinda like U2) if someone offered them to me, id take them.
    pazuzu wrote: »
    At the end of the day you don't force Drek on anybody. Music is a very personal thing- why are so many surprised about people's negative reaction to this?
    Would you like a free Lawrence Welk album too?

Is this a trick question?, Of course I'm surprised, its why i commented.
    Its actually stupid.
    just because its second nature for you to be an ungrateful self entitled douche, doesn't mean we all are, personally i don't like U2, i won't listen to the album, its still a nice gesture, its called being greatful, when you get something free people normally charge for isn't a bad thing, reading winy bitches online doesn't make it any less sad.
    Id be pissed off if apple made me listen to the album & all my play lists were made up of U2 albums, as it stands, i barely noticed that i had the songs, i have thousands of songs.
    Do you see the theme here?.
    just because you get a gift, doesnt mean you need to use it, no one is being forced.
    People who complain about it clearly didn't learn basic manners as a small child & find socioty a challenge.

lkrupp wrote: »

Well I don’t think it was very many people at all. I think the douche bag complainers were a tiny minority and because of the Internet’s ability to magnify anything way out of proportion, the desire of the media to sensationalize anything, this nothing story got traction. And the same douche bags are the ones calling it a “debacle.” Just like bendgate. Complete asshole losers, and you know who you are.

I hope you're right, reading people complain about this stuff makes it harder to have faith in humanity, people bitching about getting free music, this is actually a thing now, its crazy.
  • Reply 66 of 67
    Hey Bono! I think I'm gonna force my new song on you here!
    I called it "I'm keepin my money and not buying anything from you U2"
    I always thought any band that would chose a meaningful name like U2 had to be a bunch of no talent jerks. After your forced promotion ( You Know! The one with that disgusting album cover. You Know! The one that made me barf every time it kept popping up on my phone)Yes! That's right. That piece of crap. Well! That promotional, distasteful, perverted, self indulgent price of crap (notice that's twice I've used the CRAP word now) verified my original thoughts about U2, their music and in particular BONO (another delightfully intelliegent name by the way - How Charming! You know, I bet your mother was proud of you when she learned of your stage name) So in honor of your grand scale
    mistake (boy do you make HUGE mistakes - why put and end to your carrer with little mistakes when you can commit complete and instant suicide with an enormous one. You know Boner, oops a typo there sorry, I meant Bono. You know Bono I'm just betting here but it would seem to me that you might have a case against Apple for fostering that type of distribution. At the very least they should give you a Surface Pro. A fair distribution of the wealth don't you think? (PS: I've actually used than CRAP word four times now. Hardly seems enough!)