Apple stock falls below 200-day moving average, drags down Dow Jones Industrial Average

Comments

• Reply 21 of 87
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    sog35 wrote: »
    gloating in August?  

Are you still chicken shit to take my bet?

Come on and man up.  The stock is at $115.

You're the genius who volunteered, with no opposition mind you, for a self-ban. Enjoy the time off.
  • Reply 22 of 87
    But if no one takes the offer than there is no deal.

It takes two to tangle.

I knew all along you were a gutless liar and you just proved it.

Also, "it takes two to tango".
  • Reply 23 of 87
    I knew all along you were a coward and chicken shit.

Even with the odds stacked in your favor you still are not man enough to risk anything.

I never offered to self-ban. You did. And you going back on your own promise indicates you are a worm.
  • Reply 24 of 87
    chadmatic wrote: »
    Ah yes, welcome to the greatest game of manipulation.

And we're ALL tied to it.
  • Reply 25 of 87
    So why do you gloat when you think I'm going to be wrong?

No have no stake in this game so STFU.

I'm not gloating, I'm overjoyed at the prospect of never seeing another one of your posts.
  • Reply 26 of 87

They wouldn't "dip into" any of their foreign cash, they'd just sell more bonds or borrow at today's ridiculously low rates.

We've been through this many times before. Even money borrowed abroad has to be serviced with US cash, otherwise taxes have to be paid.

(Typos, formatting fixed).
  • Reply 27 of 87
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Calm down you guys, Jesus ....

oh wtf ... go for it !
    popcorn
  • Reply 28 of 87
    robm wrote: »
    Calm down you guys, Jesus ....

oh wtf ... go for it !
    popcorn

Hooray! ????
  • Reply 29 of 87
    You truly need help.  

Just put me on block.  Seriously.  Look yourself in the mirror and get some help.  If you are overjoyed with other people's suffering you need some serious help.

And I do mean suffering.  If Apple continues to tank MILLIONS of people's retirement accounts will be crushed.  I'm decades away from retirement so it won't affect me much.

Anyone here can quickly review your posting history and see that 99 times out of 100 you are shitting on someone. You need to look at your own behavior.

Also, since you're a coward and backslider whose word is worthless, I am blocking you...again.
  • Reply 30 of 87
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

So, Wall Street is complaining about an average slump in share price that they caused by continually increasing expectations on Apple to make them "fail" in the investor's eyes. Good one dickheads.

• Reply 31 of 87

Apple should go private.

Is there any law that says a private company can't have millions of owners?

There must be a way for Apple to convert all shares to private shares.  And those who don't want to convert can be bought out at a premium.  IMO I think most investors will welcome going private.

Not a realistic option. It would have to float too much debt to do so. The typical going private transaction is done with about two-thirds debt relative to enterprise value (i.e., net of cash), so we're talking about the company and its private equity sponsors having to raise something like $450B to finance the repurchase.

Not going to happen.
  • Reply 32 of 87
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

So, Wall Street is complaining about an average slump in share price that they caused by continually increasing expectations on Apple to make them "fail" in the investor's eyes. Good one dickheads.

The "manipulation" position is that this is done on purpose. "Wall Street" manipulates the news so it looks like Apple is not doing well - when in reality most companies would LOVE to be in their position. This news manipulation then causes the price to slump and the big players grab up shares. The stock then climbs back up to more sane levels. Profit. And then in a few months the cycle starts over again.

That's my completely naive take on the situation. I don't understand who is willing to sell at these low prices. All I know is that I believe AAPL is undervalued at this price and I'm buying some shares.

AAPL at $114ish now.

• Reply 33 of 87
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Apple should go private.

Is there any law that says a private company can't have millions of owners?

There must be a way for Apple to convert all shares to private shares.  And those who don't want to convert can be bought out at a premium.  IMO I think most investors will welcome going private.

Its total manipulation.

The initial iPhone unit sales by analysts back in April for the June Quarter was 45-46 million iPhones.

But through June and July they kept raising their estimates for no reason at all to 49-50 million iPhones.

Why did they raise their estimates?  SO APPLE WOULD MISS.  PERIOD.

I'm really getting sick of this shit.  I haven't sold a single Apple share but I want this company to go private.

You would not have to raise the full $650 billion.

Like I said people could convert their public common shares to private shares.  I'm pretty sure the majority of shareholders would do that.  The rest could be bought out with Apple's $200 billion in cash.

Stop! Just stop you're pathetic crying for Apple to go private. It can't happen, it won't happen and nothing like that will happen. Up all these numbers that follow and maybe you'll understand why Apple can't go private.

There is none.

No, really, there is none. So stop imagining them.

Let's just assume you'd need to offer a 30% premium to today's stock price to even get the Board of Directors to consider a deal. (Apple's institutional ownership is relatively paltry, there is no "Michael Dell" to vote/control a big bloc of stock, so you can't run some game where you get the board to take a sweetheart deal for some minority shareholder.

You need to get lots of people / institutions / employees to vote their stock out of their own hands. Why are they doing this on a company with a 2% yield? No reason, but let's pretend 30% gets it done.

That makes the cost of the buyout about $700 billion. Apple has about $150 billion in cash. Now you only need $550 billion in debt to buy the remaining shares.

Easy enough?

Well, the biggest corporate debt offering ever was not even one tenth that size (Verizon Raises $49 Billion in Largest Corporate-Bond Sale). Apple currently has about $40 billion in debt-related liabilities on its balance sheet, so you'd need to be able to increase that by another 14-fold to pull this off.

Aside from the fact that such an offering would be absolutely unprecedented, let's get a sense of magnitude. The U.S. federal deficit will be $492 billion this year (U.S. Budget Deficit Narrows as Economy, Jobs Boost Revenue). Apple would need to raise more than that to take itself private.

The interest rates it would have to offer would rise higher and higher given that the debt encumbrance would put the company at grave financial risk. The U.S. government cannot realistically default (unless it refuses to pay its bills as it did in the debt-ceiling nonsense) because it owns a money printing press. Apple, on the other hand, could.

Realistically, it would be very fortunate to finance $550 billion at something like 5% over 10 years if such an offering were actually even possible. Again, it isn't possible. I'm just adding a premium over the government's rates to account for risk. That'd be $70 billion in debt service annually.

Apple makes around $13-14 billion quarterly before taxes. Multiply that by four and you have $52 billion. You are $18 billion short. Even if you adjust down the financing to some shorter maturities, which might allow you to cut the bill to around $60 billion, you are nearly $10 billion short.

Oh, and you've spent the whole cash cushion. And you can't borrow anymore. And while you don't have to spend on public dividends, the history of buyouts says you will have to spend on private ones.

Then there's the whole thing about how a debt offering of this size has not ever been done and nothing close to it has ever been done and so you can stop thinking about it.
  • Reply 34 of 87
    $113.25 low...
  • Reply 35 of 87
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Stock is down 4% on a day when the markets are basically flat to up. The panic is getting comical now. Analysts going on CNBC grasping at straws trying to explain what's happening. The latest is worries in the semiconductor industry and Apple Music. Again it's so stupid all you can do is laugh.
  • Reply 36 of 87
    rogifan wrote: »
    Stock is down 4% on a day when the markets are basically flat to up. The panic is getting comical now. Analysts going on CNBC grasping at straws trying to explain what's happening. The latest is worries in the semiconductor industry and Apple Music. Again it's so stupid all you can do is laugh.

Just in case, I'm considering putting in a buy at $110.
  • Reply 37 of 87
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

"Blue Horseshoe loves Apple..."

• Reply 38 of 87
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by linkman View Post

Smart move. It is probably at the bottom or very close to it. 

Now $113.  Perhaps you might want to rephrase that.

• Reply 39 of 87

But could common stockholders opt to simply convert their public shares to private shares?  That way the company would not have to buy all the shares but just those that want to sell.

I am really not quite sure of what you mean. Perhaps you could explain how such a transaction will work?

(Btw, I was being very optimistic in my earlier estimates for the amount of debt, since that did not include a premium -- often in excess of one-third in going private transactions -- that Apple will have to pay to its existing shareholders to take the company private.)
  • Reply 40 of 87
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

What I'm saying is, is it possible to convert public shares to private shares?  

Your common stock has an actual value of pennies per share. The only value they have is that they can be traded on the public exchange. They do not represent an equity stake in the company. They are unsecured debt. The only time they would represent a piece of the company is if the company goes bankrupt but common shares are the last to get paid after the preferred stock, bond holders and other creditors.