Apple stock falls below 200-day moving average, drags down Dow Jones Industrial Average

Comments

• Reply 41 of 87
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    And people get mad at me when I complain about FUD. But FUD is basically what's driving this panic sell off right now.

Here's another example. On July 25, John Gruber posts a link to a BBC interview with Tony Fadell. He was asked about ?Watch and this is what he supposedly said:
    “I’ve had mine for about two weeks now,” he says.

“I think they did a tremendous job on the hardware components of it. They are trying many different things with that platform - some are going to be great, and some are not.”

To which Gruber responded:
    Consider the difference between “I think they did a tremendous job” versus “I think they did a tremendous job on the hardware”.

Many in the Apple blogosphere and twitterverse took this as Fadell throwing shade at Apple and dissing the ?Watch software. Now we find out that's not everything he said and the BBC provided Gruber the rest of his quote:
    The same thing happened with the iPhone. If we go back in history when the iPhone first shipped there were a few things that weren’t so right about it. But the second version, the third version started dialing in the right amount of each of those pieces and it really, you know, hit the ground running. So, I hope and I would fully assume they will do the same thing with the Watch as well.”

That last part of his quote makes a big difference doesn't it. Of course it's just little things like this that come out on a daily basis that start to add up and chip away at positive sentiment. I think it does have an impact on the stock.
  • Reply 42 of 87

Added just below $115.

• Reply 43 of 87
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 wrote: »

Added just below $115.

Congrats.  I wish I could buy more but I'm fully loaded with AAPL.

That's not all you're fully loaded with. ;)
  • Reply 44 of 87
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

If Apple weren't so true-to-form stingy with their dividends, I think there would be a lot less volatility in their share price. 

• Reply 45 of 87
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I'm really getting sick of this shit.  I haven't sold a single Apple share but I want this company to go private.

Really, you are starting to trip yourself up with your own lies.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I bought 300 shares last night at $122 and sold this morning for a quick $400 profit.

I'm still holding 1000 shares.

I have no doubt this will see $150 sometime this year.

All these analysist are a-holes.

Apple guided for revenue to be $46-48 billion for Q3.  They blew that away with $49.4 billion.  Apple blew away there own expectations. Wall Streets expectations were unrealistic, yet they penalize Apple for not meeting some pipe dream $51 billion mark.

• Reply 46 of 87
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

I rarely short, but this drop was inevitable. Looking good so far. Now the hard part, where to cash them in at! Could well slip sub $100, will sit and wait.

• Reply 47 of 87
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Yes it does.  In the short term.

But when does the short term start chipping away at the long term? It doesn't seem to matter what Apple's quarterly results are. They had a record 3rd quarter last quarter and it did nothing for the stock. And then you get Eric Jackson going on CNBC saying the worst thing Apple ever did was share buybacks and they should have been spending their cash on acquisitions.
  • Reply 48 of 87
    qvakqvak Posts: 86member

So Xiaomi and their 2% margin phones are #1 in China.

Apple and its 40-70% margin iPhones continue to sell like hotcakes in China.

Somehow, this is bad. Because you know, BMW cares how many 8000$ shitboxes Kia sells.

• Reply 49 of 87
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    For Apple to go private it would have to be something innovative.  Doing the traditional method is impossible = a small group buying out the entire company.

What I'm saying is, is it possible to convert public shares to private shares?  That way no group of shareholders would need to sell their shares but rather the majority of shareholders can keep their shares but just not be part of the public market?

That would mean Apple would have literally millions of private owners.  Shares still could be bought and sold (like any other private business) in a private exchange setup by Apple.

How would that be any different? If you think AAPL is being manipulated now, what would prevent it from being manipulated in this other exchange with millions of participants? Do you imagine that the incentives for manipulation would disappear somehow?
  • Reply 50 of 87
    Quote:

I don't believe you shorted Apple.

Give us a screen shot for proof.

Here you go. The amounts are blanked out because that info is none of your business. But you should be able to work out by the color and stop point that the second one down is in fact...  SHORT  bought at $126

• Reply 51 of 87
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Debaserness View Post

As much as I love jumping on "analysts" who attempt short-term manipulations of Apple stock, I must say that the efficient market theory would apply pretty well here.  If there are a bunch of manipulators driving the stock price down, then that means there are more sellers than buyers at the higher price.  If the price is driven down, then prudent investors will start buying at lower prices to get more of the stock in a company with great fundamentals, but with jerk analysts driving down the price.  So prudent investors would jump in basically to get larger and larger ownership percentages in a great company with an artificially low price.  This is what Apple itself is likely doing, as well as Icahn.  Eventually, the charlatans will be hoisted by their own petard because ownership will be concentrated in fewer hands, thus there will be less ability to manipulate the stock price.  This is a game that takes years to play out, but it seems to be the game that Icahn and Apple (to name a few) are, long-term, winning.

" because ownership will be concentrated in fewer hands, thus there will be less ability to manipulate the stock price." People who think like this are the reason the masses, for the most part, get "fleeced." Who do you think is moving the market theses days? Millions of little people who all think alike on every decision? or the 40 or 50 hedge fund, pension fund, mutual fund and every other fund you can think of, plus all of the "traders" that make a commission on every transaction whether you are selling or buying and if you put them all in a group probably represent majority of all shareholders. Fun fact% of AAPL Shares Held by Institutional & Mutual Fund Owners:  62%.  All, (or at least the vast majority) funds are "run" by very small committees, sometimes by one person who makes the decision whether they buy or sell. 

People don't seem to realize that Apple, Inc. (the computer company) and AAPL, (the stock market "company") ARE TWO DIFFERENT ENTITIES and are "run" by different people who have a very different, and usually opposing, agenda's. Apple's focus is customer satisfaction and the profits that follow that focus. AAPL, not so much. The focus with the stock market is always the same, how to dip into the pockets of the masses, often known as the more appropriate term, SHEEP, so they can relieve us of as much money as possible.

Do the little people sometimes make money? Of course. When they understand the rules of the game, understand the odds of going against the people who make, and change, the rules to put the odds even more in their favour, and accept that they (the sheep) are not going to "outsmart" the house so stop trying and just jump onboard. Don't forget that the best decisions are made with the head and not the heart.  8-)

• Reply 52 of 87
    Some interesting thoughts here -- like Apple going private!

Here's another:  What If Apple were to split into multiple, interrelated companies, say:
    [LIST]
    [*] Executive/Holding company
    [*] Design
    [*] Hardware manufacturing
    [*] Software manufacturing
    [*] Services
    [*] Fashion
    [*] R&D
    [*] New ventures
    [/LIST]

There are some possibilities -- let people do what they do best;  more efficient/direct profit/cost centers ...

There also are some pitfalls -- I worked for Consolidated Electrodynamics Corporation in the late 1950s (Computers, DataTapes, Instrumentation, Mass Spectrometers ...). One year each division posted a profit, but CEC Corp. posted a loss (the divisions were selling to each other and paying taxes on their profits).  This looked like such good idea that Bell&Howell bought them  :???:

• Reply 53 of 87
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

If you allow short-term movements to influence you to sell your shares its time you stop INVESTING.  At that point you are TRADING and GAMBLING.

Good point, but short term may tell you when to buy.  Now seems a good time. 8-)

• Reply 54 of 87
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Here you go. The amounts are blanked out because that info is none of your business. But you should be able to work out by the color and stop point that the second one down is in fact...  SHORT  bought at $126

I sold before the earnings report. Have to be caring a white stick not to have seen this coming. Someone needs to give him a Valium or something. 

• Reply 55 of 87
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

I sold before the earnings report. Have to be caring a white stick not to have seen this coming. Someone needs to give him a Valium or something. 

Exactly, it was the calm before the storm, and way too much positivity. I haven't shorted for ages, but this one was too easy.

• Reply 56 of 87
    Quote:

cant really conclude much from that screenshot.

Then try using your brain.

I can spell it out for you if you like:

Short bought at $126.61

Stop is $129 (that's higher than $126)

The current value is $114 , which is lower than $126, and the color of the profit/loss is blue (which means I'm in the profit, and only a short could be in the profit given the previous parameters).

The color of the amount/Pt is red, which also  indicates that this is a short.

• Reply 57 of 87
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

cant really conclude much from that screenshot.

Frankly, he has nothing to prove to you (or anyone else). It's a damn internet forum with anonymous posters, for heaven's sake!

How in the heck do we know that you're not making up everything about yourself?

If we can't take each other at face value here, there's not much of a point, is there?

• Reply 58 of 87
    Quote:

all we know you could have shorted 1 share.  Which is you know, useless.

At least show the profit number

Why? I don't need to show anything to you. You are lucky you got that screenshot frankly. You were wrong in your assumption, so get over it.

• Reply 59 of 87
    Quote:

Fine.  Congrats in shorting 1 share.

They are not even shares, so get the terminology right. They are leveraged spread bets, with the minimum way above the equivalent of 1 share.

To have shorted at $126 means that I would have had to have made the short in the region of 14 days ago at the earliest. So I can't have made that short just for the screen shot.
  • Reply 60 of 87
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member
    The market keeps asking for Apple to perform and it always out performs yet this is how the market treats Apple all the time. Apple gets some of its biggest sales out of China including this last quarter. Those made up stories of China slowing down are just that, made up. No evidence seen by Apple sales at all. Really fed up with how the market treats Apple which had another record quarter in its slowest sales period. So I don't get this free fall with no evidence or truth to prove it.