Cellphone, data and landline services down for many in southeastern US [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2015
An issue at a local provider appears to have impacted wireless and landline services in a handful of southeastern U.S. states on Tuesday, with customers reporting outages across all four major carriers.

Visualization of major carrier outage. | Source: Downdetector.com

According to Re/code, a problem first identified on AT&T's network is also affecting Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile, leaving an unknown number of paying subscribers temporarily without service.

The exact nature of the issue has not been announced, though both Sprint and Verizon have traced the problem back to a local exchange provider, confirming multiple carriers are experiencing voice and data services outages in the region. Among the states affected Kentucky and Tennessee are hardest hit, the report said, citing information from Downdetector.com.

"We are aware of the impacts to service in which customers across multiple carriers may be unable to access voice and some data services," a Sprint representative said. "This appears to be an issue caused by a local exchange provider and our network team is working with the provider to restore service to impacted customers as quickly as possible."

A Verizon representative followed up by saying it is currently working with the unnamed provider to restore service, but cannot yet estimate when services will be fully restored.

Update: Sources informed Re/code that AT&T's landline network is to blame for the ongoing outages, as other telecoms rely on AT&T's backbone for transporting data. A company representative said AT&T is "investigating the cause and working as quickly as possible to restore service."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Apple experimenting as an MVNO?

• Reply 2 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

"The devil did it."

• Reply 3 of 26
    This is also happening in Southern California Yucca Valley basically shut the banks and debit cards were not excepted anywhere cash only seem to be the thing to do for about four hours today
  • Reply 4 of 26
    [COLOR=blue]Instead of a network of redundancy we have a network of intra-dependency. So much for national security... and not that far from Washington DC either.[/COLOR]
  • Reply 5 of 26
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    [I]Obama's America[/I] -or- [I]This would have never happened if Steve Jobs were alive¡[/I]
  • Reply 6 of 26
    sumergosumergo Posts: 215member

Sorry folks, but what has this to do with Apple?

• Reply 7 of 26

Word is a construction crew broke a main fiber line in Western Kentucky. At least that is what has been reported around here.

• Reply 8 of 26
    sumergo wrote: »

If you really need some connection, Apple's devices connect to the ISPs affected, but the reality this site posts interesting tech news all the time that doesn't necessary have to deal with Apple directly.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

If you really need some connection, Apple's devices connect to the ISPs affected, but the reality this site posts interesting tech news all the time that doesn't necessary have to deal with Apple directly.

Come on Soli, what are you smoking?  This post has nothing to do with Apple.  This forum is "AppleInsider" isn't it?  Certainly nothing of any specific interest from ISPs, verizon, Sprint et al - at least I hope not.  Or are you just pulling my chain ;-)

• Reply 10 of 26
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

It's affecting a boat load of iPhone users.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It's affecting a boat load of iPhone users.

It's a tech outage that affects some people - it has nothing to do with Apple or this AppleInsider forum.

• Reply 12 of 26
    maclvr03maclvr03 Posts: 198member

China

• Reply 13 of 26
    Ain't there some big military exercise taking place?! We had our mobile phone service cut off for a day in Central Twxas the other day.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    rmb0037rmb0037 Posts: 142member
    maclvr03 wrote: »
    China

Internal DNS issue
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Cut fiber. Drones. Hacks. Malware. Social media. NSA backdoors. Little investment in privacy and security. Porous borders. Security theater. Shoddy hiring practices.

I sometimes think it's quite remarkable that we haven't been really screwed yet.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Come on Soli, what are you smoking?  This post has nothing to do with Apple.  This forum is "AppleInsider" isn't it?  Certainly nothing of any specific interest from ISPs, verizon, Sprint et al - at least I hope not.  Or are you just pulling my chain ;-)

I'm not sure what part of my post is "chain pulling." This does affect iPhone, iPad and Mac users due to the network connections that are lost, so if you want some connectivity as a reason then there you go, but that's not really why AI posted it. As I stated, they post stuff all the time. Samsung earnings, a malware in Android, MS's multiple changeovers, etc. You don't have to look very hard to find that AI will post things that aren't directly related to Apple. You don't have to like it — others don't and they complain on those forums for reasons I can't fathom instead of just ignoring the article — but it does happen and I'm sure it will happen again very soon.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Instead of a network of redundancy we have a network of intra-dependency. So much for national security... and not that far from Washington DC either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinnyd View Post

Word is a construction crew broke a main fiber line in Western Kentucky. At least that is what has been reported around here.

Yah, this is a good example of how the world has become dependent on corporate network providers, which is in stark contrast to what the "internet" was meant to be... a redundant, decentralized network. Let's hope the Meshnet movement really takes hold over the next few years, which will really shine a light on how we consumers can not allow corporate entities to be the gateway connections to our fellow peers anymore.

• Reply 18 of 26
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Cut fiber. Drones. Hacks. Malware. Social media. NSA backdoors. Little investment in privacy and security. Porous borders. Security theater. Shoddy hiring practices.

I sometimes think it's quite remarkable that we haven't been really screwed yet.

I think the marker of what's considered "being screwed" keeps being moved forward by the very entities that screw us.

• Reply 19 of 26
    adybadyb Posts: 205member

The thing that I find slightly ironic is that the people affected are most likely the people that won't be able to access this story because they don't have data/landline services!

• Reply 20 of 26
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Instead of a network of redundancy we have a network of intra-dependency. So much for national security... and not that far from Washington DC either.

I understand what you are saying, but isn't that assuming a digital connection in the vast web? I would think it would also have to make sure that a  number of nodes share service status with each other. Try to get govt to do that and it'll take 25 more years. A corporate solution could be worked out much quicker but then the litigation about privacy/security would far exceed the fantasy sol'n. If this is already in place and I am talking out my a**hole the please excuse the vulgar odor ¡