Apple Pay now accepted at Schnucks and Dierbergs, takes over St. Louis grocery scene

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2015
Two large grocery store chains serving the St. Louis, Mo., area recently activated point-of-sale support for Apple Pay, offering customers a fast and easy checkout alternative to credit and cash.

Both Schnucks and Dierbergs Markets are now accepting Apple Pay at registers, joining nationwide grocers like Whole Foods that also support Apple's NFC-based payment system. Apple has yet to append its official Apple Pay website, but Schnucks and Dierbergs announced the news on their respective blogs latelast month.

Schnucks customers can use Apple Pay at each of the company's 98 locations across five states, while Dierbergs rolled out support at its 25 stores.

A report this week suggested Apple Pay is floundering as new and existing iPhone owners appear to be losing interest in the service, or abandoning the system altogether due to security concerns. However, Apple's service remains a big dog in the touchless payments sector, a position that could improve as Apple Pay's bank and merchant support network expands.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    I know some of you are impatient but this is how progress usually works. There is a long way to go but these 325 locations today (including Pei Wei article) is a few more steps toward climbing that mountain. You can want it to go faster but it you are upset because it's not faster you're really not setting your exceptions properly.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    I live in St Louis, went to Schnucks today, didn't use Apple Pay. Wanna know why? I have a Discover Card...
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ross.alex.k View Post

I live in St Louis, went to Schnucks today, didn't use Apple Pay. Wanna know why? I have a Discover Card...

And when your Discover card is hacked at the terminal and sold on the black market, we'll see how quickly you start using ApplePay.

Wanna know why?

Because the ApplePay transaction uses a one-time token that is no longer valid after that use...unlike your vulnerable little Discover card.

• Reply 4 of 18
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:

You've probably heard, but Discover will be on Apple Pay this fall. (No specific date has been reported -- at least that I know of.)

• Reply 5 of 18
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stargazerCT View Post

And when your Discover card is hacked at the terminal and sold on the black market, we'll see how quickly you start using ApplePay.

Wanna know why?

Because the ApplePay transaction uses a one-time token that is no longer valid after that use...unlike your vulnerable little Discover card.

I believe he was getting at the fact that currently, Discover hasnt joined the rest yet, in supporting Apple pay (so therefore, he couldn't use the card, even if he wanted to), until iOS 9 launches (which is around when (I thought I had read) Discover Card is expected to be onboard).

• Reply 6 of 18
    ortort Posts: 39member
    It's worked at Schnucks for about a month and half now. They've been rolling out new card readers and the first thing I did was try Apple Pay and it worked even though it was not advertised. Now that it seems to be in all of the stores, they have big Apple Pay stickers on the door as you go in.

I don't go to Deirbergs as much, but their rollout seems to be more recent. I think they also have stickers.

It's pretty funny, but these two stores suddenly made Apple Pay way way more useful for me.

Next I would like to see some gas stations get on board. Why does it seem like there are no gas stations that support Apple Pay?
  • Reply 7 of 18
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ort View Post

It's pretty funny, but these two stores suddenly made Apple Pay way way more useful for me.

Next I would like to see some gas stations get on board. Why does it seem like there are no gas stations that support Apple Pay?

If you're referring to pump payment terminals, merchants won't be have to have chip capable terminals until Oct. 1 2017. That's when the liability for pump transactions becomes the station owners' responsibility. Frankly, this is where I'd like to use Apple Pay the most, but the deadline is 2+ years away. I'm not counting on it anytime soon. (Transactions inside at the register will likely begin support chip and potentially, Apple Pay much sooner --- Oct 1 2015.)

• Reply 8 of 18

Wanna know why?

My point was that Discover is not yet supported. I fully intend to, once they support it...
  • Reply 9 of 18
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    I gather there's something of a tech barrier for gas station pumps? That's the shoe I'd really welcome dropping.

(And then I scroll up and find the answer has already been posted: nevermind. ???? )
  • Reply 10 of 18
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I know some of you are impatient but this is how progress usually works. There is a long way to go but these 325 locations today (including Pei Wei article) is a few more steps toward climbing that mountain. You can want it to go faster but it you are upset because it's not faster you're really not setting your exceptions properly.
    My local supermarket (Foodtown) accepts Apple Pay now. I didn't see any announcement, but I saw the terminal and tried with my Watch. It was my first watch payment. Very exciting.
    Still, only about 20% of the time I use a credit card is ApplePay an option. I'm ok with a long slow rollout, as long as we are moving forward.

I haven't pressured my wife to sign up yet because she would find it more annoying than interesting trying to figure out where she could use it. Hopefully we reach a tipping point soon...
  • Reply 11 of 18

Wanna know why?

Yikes! I thought his comment was clear when he specifically mentioned Discover Card. I still use physical cards as well as my physical card numbers online*, but I certainly try not to for both security and convenience reasons. This will be a slow process before we can stop carrying physical cards but it will take many years before Apple's vision is in place.

*I hope the next iPhone event has an advancement of Apple Pay so that I can use it online (like via a browser on a Mac) with various websites without ever having to use my physical card number. There are many ways in which this could happen and each has their own hurdles. it could be as simple including the NFC chip in every Mac so that it has the secure element, as well as the SW needed for making purchases, or with a intermediary service that will the site will offer a portal to (like how PayPal and Google Payments work), or something really complex that gets your financial institution to issue you a one-time token through a secure portal that has a short half-life of use that will then be inputted into that site to be verified.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    bageljoey wrote: »
    I haven't pressured my wife to sign up yet because she would find it more annoying than interesting trying to figure out where she could use it. Hopefully we reach a tipping point soon...

I haven't pressured anyone into using it. Certain things, like Touch ID, I absolutely asked them if they are using it so if they weren't I could explain it, show them, and help set them up.

The reason for the different approach has to do with security and the completion of that security hole. With Touch ID once these people with '0000' for a PIN or no PIN at al, which is was scarily common, they will use it and like it, and be more secure as a result. With Apple Pay, there are still years to go and even among those of us that use it many times per week or even every day, are still very likely carrying all our cards with us. Until such time as we don't have to the security hole is still high overall. Apple surely knows this.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Ok. Here goes; I hate to have to say this, but I have never seen anybody use Applepay. I live in NYC, and shop every week at Wholefoods and TJs. Never seen it (same in L.A.). If I had an iPhone 6 I would use it everywhere. Even where it wasn't officially "sanctioned". I just don't understand why I don't see all these people who do have the phone not using the function. Makes me sad.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stompy View Post

You've probably heard, but Discover will be on Apple Pay this fall. (No specific date has been reported -- at least that I know of.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwes View Post

I believe he was getting at the fact that currently, Discover hasnt joined the rest yet, in supporting Apple pay (so therefore, he couldn't use the card, even if he wanted to), until iOS 9 launches (which is around when (I thought I had read) Discover Card is expected to be onboard).

my bad and apologies to ross.alex.k 

• Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

My point was that Discover is not yet supported. I fully intend to, once they support it...

yes, my apologies on that. Hope Discover gets on board soon.

• Reply 16 of 18
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Consumers haven't lost interested. We're just looking for more merchants to accept it. I have found that phone works at non-Apple Pay terminals just like a swipe of the card. Still asks for a signature. So, the hardware is fine. Most small and mid sized merchants are just to technologically inept to turn on Apple Pay. There is no excuse for Target doesn't accepting yet. Just their fear after the hack last year.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Yikes! I thought his comment was clear when he specifically mentioned Discover Card. I still use physical cards as well as my physical card numbers online*, but I certainly try not to for both security and convenience reasons. This will be a slow process before we can stop carrying physical cards but it will take many years before Apple's vision is in place.

*I hope the next iPhone event has an advancement of Apple Pay so that I can use it online (like via a browser on a Mac) with various websites without ever having to use my physical card number. There are many ways in which this could happen and each has their own hurdles. it could be as simple including the NFC chip in every Mac so that it has the secure element, as well as the SW needed for making purchases, or with a intermediary service that will the site will offer a portal to (like how PayPal and Google Payments work), or something really complex that gets your financial institution to issue you a one-time token through a secure portal that has a short half-life of use that will then be inputted into that site to be verified.

I've already made my apologies to ross.alex.k

I agree about the online/Mac aspect and hope a solution is found for that as well. Would be nice to not have to worry about your card being jacked.

• Reply 18 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A report this week suggested Apple Pay is floundering as new and existing iPhone owners appear to be losing interest in the service, or abandoning the system altogether due to security concerns.

This is the part I really don't understand. What exactly are users security concerns? Is it a matter of ignorance? Do they not understand how Apple Pay works and is vastly more secure than a physical card? They trust handing over their credit card to a stranger they don't know but don't trust an encrypted transaction in which the merchant never sees their personal data or account number?

I'm thinking this a matter of educating users.