Apple Pay adoption and usage rates suffer despite strong iPhone 6 sales, study finds

Comments

• Reply 81 of 140
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    :rolleyes: If you're looking for petty issues it could be said Apple "stole" IMO the likely preferred name for Android Auto (CarPlay, GooglePlay) to prevent Google from using it. Yes, it's silly to claim anyone is "stealing" names, particularly something so obvious as "pay". There's literally thousands of trademarks using "pay". Put that in the search box here and have a look. http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=4809:11eq31.1.1

AirPlay came out 2 years before Google Play.
  • Reply 82 of 140
    Close to perfect timing for Apple Pay disparagements to start rising up. Google's updated payment system is close to being released. The same goes for Samsung's payment system. And, let us not forget about PayPal. Apple's competitors need to slow Apple down to help themselves look better. So they turn to yet another company to conduct another survey with the express intention to report declining use of Apple Pay. Watch for good news to be reported for and by Apple's competitors later this month.
  • Reply 83 of 140
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    foad wrote: »

This will change closer to the end of the year when the liability shift happens. Most banks are still in the middle of issuing chip based cards and most large retailers are still transitioning to newer terminals.
    This is not going to happen as fast as you think. Banks are way behind issuing chip cards, and some think it will take until the end of next year before even a majority of cards have been replaced. Merchants are not liable for any transaction made with a traditional magswipe card, only those transactions where the customer actually has a chip card and the merchant can't process the transaction securely. The smaller merchants who do not regularly conduct high end transactions with customers most likely to have been issued a chip card, therefore have very little incentive to upgrade their terminals by October.
  • Reply 84 of 140
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    So why didn't they stick with Google Wallet?

Because it needed a reboot since they hadn't seen a whole lot of success yet.

Pretty obvious to me that with the big PR push on Apple Py that it was the perfect time to get renewed attention. TBH there isn't a huge change from Google Wallet functions to Android Pay. The name change was to make it look like something new. Google Wallet already covered most of same functionality that Apple Pay has now so not much had to change.

Google is just a lousy marketer, bad at PR. IMO an odd weakness for a company supporting itself thru advertising revenue. Lucky for Google's payment platform that Apple came along and did some PR for them.
  • Reply 85 of 140
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I haven't even had a chance to use it yet because I still have a 5S. Plan to upgrade to the 6S.
  • Reply 86 of 140
    AirPlay came out 2 years before Google Play.
    Actually less than a year but point taken. Another obvious case of "copying" names. ;)
  • Reply 87 of 140
    Because it needed a reboot since they hadn't seen a whole lot of success yet.

That's the point. They saw an opportunity so they went for it.
    Pretty obvious to me that with the big PR push on Apple Py that it was the perfect time to get renewed attention. TBH there isn't a huge change from Google Wallet functions to Android Pay. The name change was to make it look like something new. Google Wallet already covered most of same functionality that Apple Pay has now so not much had to change.

1) Android Pay is not "most of the same" functionality. It's not what it should be. In fact, it's what I said these mobile payment systems should be years before Apple Pay was announced.

2) Google is great at marketing, what they're not good at is 'measuring twice and cutting once' as seen with Google Wallet, but I'd also say Apple is equality guilt of that by having to change Passbook to Wallet due to poor planning to that app's inevitable growth.

Actually less than a year but point taken. Another obvious case of "copying" names. ;)

1) That may very well be. My methodology is to use Wikipedia to grab the launch year which could bring that as close as 1 year and 1 day apart (or nearly 3 years) for what I quickly see as 2 calendar years.

2) Is there an unambiguous term I can used to denote that?
  • Reply 88 of 140
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Google is just a lousy marketer, bad at PR. 

That has to be the most hilarious thing I've heard all day!

Especially regarding a company that endlessly hypes itself and its products that never seem to go anywhere (Glass, RE > C, Nexus, Google+, Wallet, perhaps even the car, etc etc).

• Reply 89 of 140
    That has to be the most hilarious thing I've heard all day!

Especially regarding a company that endlessly hypes itself and its products that never seem to go anywhere (Glass, RE > C, Nexus, Google+, Wallet, perhaps even the car, etc etc).
    Agreed. It's ridiculous.
  • Reply 90 of 140
    With the advent of Apple Pay at TJ's, it's now accepted at 3 out of the 4 markets where I go for groceries. The main obstacle to me using Apple Pay is that I don't have an Apple device which supports it ... my $800 5S is less than 2 years old and still going strong. I'm happy to keep whipping out my credit card for a couple more years, dudes. But I know when I upgrade, Apple Pay will be there, and so will I.
  • Reply 91 of 140
    1) That may very well be. My methodology is to use Wikipedia to grab the launch year which could bring that as close as 1 year and 1 day apart (or nearly 3 years) for what I quickly see as 2 calendar years.
    Airplay was announced at June's WWDC/11, while GooglePlay was announced in March 2012. As the dates don't matter all that much to the point you were making you were plenty close enough. I was just being a pedant :D (Thanks Anant. I knew the adjective but never noted there was also a noun)
  • Reply 92 of 140
    Actually less than a year but point taken.

1) I am seeing September 2010. Call also noticed Fairplay which I have to assume came out around the time the iTunes Music Store took off.

2) I encourage you to be pedantic. If I am incorrect please call me out on it and correct me.
  • Reply 93 of 140
  • Reply 94 of 140
    That's the point. They saw an opportunity so they went for it.
    1) Android Pay is not "most of the same" functionality.

That's something we'll disagree on. While there are some high-profile differences, mainly that Apple doesn't keep transaction information themselves* while Google's old Wallet currently does, both use NFC, tokanization, prevent retailers from seeing your card details, offers a mobile app, can check-out with a smartphone, and can be used on-line and in-person. IMHO most of the features/functions are generally the same.

*Apple Wallet (Passbook) will track the transactions made with Apple Pay if enabled. I guess "wallets" are meant to keep receipts while "pay" should simply be that, payments.
  • Reply 95 of 140
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Except that you do still have to carry a wallet all the time. 

I'm pretty sure in most countries your are suppose to carry physical identification. A police officer is not going to accept your iPhone and go back to their patrol car to run your drivers license any more than they would accept your wallet. They want the mag-stripe on the back of your drivers license.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cropr View Post

so Apple Pay will have no impact on fraud in Europe

It helps in a couple of ways.

1) The retailer does not have your name linked to what you bought.

2) Your card data is not stored on their servers for hackers steal.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

1) It's not any slower than C&P or a card swipe, but faster is certainly better.

I've found it to be quite a bit slower. I attribute that to the extra trip the data makes to Apple servers before hitting the merchant gateway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHateScreenNames View Post

It's even easier than removing a wallet, removing the card, swiping it (hopefully once), returning it to your wallet and then putting the wallet back.

Honestly how hard is it to swipe your card? If you are using an iPhone, you still have to take it out of your pocket, touch the home button for a couple seconds and put it back in your pocket. It is literally the same motions. It is not about being easier since the transaction usually goes through before they get your purchases in the shopping bag either way. It is all about the security.

• Reply 96 of 140
    godriflegodrifle Posts: 267member
    In my experience, ApplePay just fails to work too often, and is accepted in far too many locations. The end result of that is that I have to carry my cards. If I have to carry my cards, and ApplePay is flakey, I might as well just swipe, as it is (in my experience) much faster.
  • Reply 97 of 140
    mstone wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure in most countries your are suppose to carry physical identification. A police officer is not going to accept your iPhone and go back to their patrol car to run your drivers license any more than they would accept your wallet. They want the mag-stripe on the back of your drivers license.
    Gosh, I certainly missed the most obvious reason to carry a wallet. :embarrass Thanks.
  • Reply 98 of 140
    The amount of iPhone 6 owners who don't use TouchID is astounding. I'm betting that this is the number one reason for the "usage rate suffering".
  • Reply 99 of 140
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:

Except that you do still have to carry a wallet all the time. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by cropr View Post

so Apple Pay will have no impact on fraud in Europe

It helps in a couple of ways.

1) The retailer does not have your name linked to what you bought.

2) Your card data is not stored on their servers for hackers steal.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

1) It's not any slower than C&P or a card swipe, but faster is certainly better.

I've found it to be quite a bit slower. I attribute that to the extra trip the data makes to Apple servers before hitting the merchant gateway.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateScreenNames View Post

It's even easier than removing a wallet, removing the card, swiping it (hopefully once), returning it to your wallet and then putting the wallet back.

Honestly how hard is it to swipe your card? If you are using an iPhone, you still have to take it out of your pocket, touch the home button for a couple seconds and put it back in your pocket. It is literally the same motions. It is not about being easier since the transaction usually goes through before they get your purchases in the shopping bag either way. It is all about the security.

Any policeman who asks for the mag stripe on my drivers licence is in for a deep disappointment as I have an old style paper driving licence and I'm not it giving up.

• Reply 100 of 140
    That's something we'll disagree on. While there are some high-profile differences, mainly that Apple doesn't keep transaction information themselves* while Google's old Wallet currently does, both use NFC, tokanization, prevent retailers from seeing your card details, offers a mobile app, can check-out with a smartphone, and can be used on-line and in-person. IMHO most of the features/functions are generally the same.

*Apple Wallet (Passbook) will track the transactions made with Apple Pay if enabled. I guess "wallets" are meant to keep receipts while "pay" should simply be that, payments.

Come on! It's been almost a year so this "Google Wallet is the same as Apple Pay" crap needs to stop. Google could have done what Apple did, but Google's vision was to control everything. It's why Google Wallet failed, why Apple Pay is successful, and why Android Pay is coming soon. Google DID NOT work with the banks and multinationals to get them to rework their backend to support a representational card number system. How many of your credit cards could you hook up to Google Wallet when it launched? Zero! They wanted you to tie a bank account to the one company they partnered with so that it all goes through them. Fail, fail, fail!