Apple Music reaches 11M trial members after five weeks

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The iTunes team is responsible for Apple Music not Jony Ive.

And on an even deeper level than that, it seems a lot of people just don't understand how these kinds of things are put together. The graphics & Design Language people are likely different from the H.I. and I.A. people, are different from the engineers, not to be confused with the upper management who actually decide what the features will ultimately be. Not that they aren't all working together on some level, but there are a lot of moving parts. Jony might sign off on a lot of it, but there's only so much that can get done before the deals are all signed and the service has to launch. And that's another branch of the company entirely. 

• Reply 42 of 56
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

BTW, you're an investment banker on Wall Street aren't you?

LOL!

• Reply 43 of 56
    sog35 wrote: »
    That includes Mac's and iPods.  You expect those to purchase AppleMusic?  Hell no.

There are about 400-500 million iPhone accounts.  That is the number you need to look at.

Check this out: http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/27/7924919/apple-shipped-its-billionth-ios-device-this-past-november
    Over 8 months ago, Apple shipped its ONE BILLIONTH iOS device (iPhones+iPads+iPod Touches). So we can infer they're are well over a billion iOS devices out there. Whether all those people are likely to use Apple Music or not, that is still Apple's installed user base. Add all Mac users to that... Probably not gonna use Apple Music, but still installed user base!
  • Reply 44 of 56
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I agree with all your points.  I was just trying to show how massive an opportunity streaming music may be.

IMO 500,000,000 worldwide subscribers at $5 a piece is not a pipe dream.

And the music industry will still get revenue from physical media, paid digital media, concerts, and rights.  This is a massive opportunity for them.  The key is getting the price down to $4.99

You know how Apple sells hardware for margin and not numbers? 

Artists kind of like that concept, too. 

• Reply 45 of 56
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    Apple Music is responsible for 1 more Spotify account.
    Having never considered a streaming service, we bought a Premium Spotify account to compare to AM.

While both have their good aspects - we will be sticking with Spotify and dumping AM. Right now it's just a far more mature and streamlined service, and most importantly, the audio quality is superior.
    Libraries are about the same, not a big fan of either GUI (Rdio wins that one).
    AM is just a bit awkward right now and some stupid glitches - can only listen to 2 songs on some albums???

I would go with Tidal for the best audio quality, but their library is sorely lacking.

Hope Apple cleans up the GUI, and adds lossless streaming - I would pay $20 /mo for that in a heartbeat.
  • Reply 46 of 56
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member
    funny all these people with negative comments about AppleMusic only post here once a month.

Why can't you address the very substantive comments that bit mod made? I post more than once a month and many other "complainers" do also. That doesn't invalidate someone's point. You can go ahead and try to bat down every negative comment, but it's clear to me you're willing to compromise intellectual integrity to make useless points.

Having said that, if this poster is correct and you can only download TWO songs from an album:

That explains a major point of confusion on my part. I thought I was going crazy when I went to play an album I saved for offline listening and there were only two tracks. Is that a bug or a feature? With Apple Music, I and many others are completely in the dark.

If it's a bug, Apple should have made a statement because clearly that is a feature that many people want (and it should be a top priority fix). If it's a feature, then Apple has lost a tremendous amount of my good will because that proves intentional misleading.

Again, I will not spend money on Apple Music if major bugs aren't fixed and tent pole features aren't clearly explained.
  • Reply 47 of 56
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

funny all these people with negative comments about AppleMusic only post here once a month.

I only comment on topics i'm familiar with, have experience with, or insight into.

I wouldn't consider my comments 'negative'. Apple Music doesn't live up to my expectations at the moment, & I have pretty high expectations when it comes to my audio.

My iPhones, iPods, iPads, iMacs, Macbooks, Pro's, are great - but i'm not going to defend the crap and blunders Apple shoves out the door either.

You sometimes come across as someone who would defend the puck mouse to your grave - if you thought it would raise your stock index by a half cent. 

• Reply 48 of 56
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    But that was one of the selling points of AppleMusic.  

To have ONE APP to play all your music.

Again there are bugs in any version 1 product, Apple will fix it.

Yeah - I'm really hoping so!
  • Reply 49 of 56
    carthusia wrote: »
    Why can't you address the very substantive comments that bit mod made? I post more than once a month and many other "complainers" do also. That doesn't invalidate someone's point. You can go ahead and try to bat down every negative comment, but it's clear to me you're willing to compromise intellectual integrity to make useless points.

Having said that, if this poster is correct and you can only download TWO songs from an album:

That explains a major point of confusion on my part. I thought I was going crazy when I went to play an album I saved for offline listening and there were only two tracks. Is that a bug or a feature? With Apple Music, I and many others are completely in the dark.

If it's a bug, Apple should have made a statement because clearly that is a feature that many people want (and it should be a top priority fix). If it's a feature, then Apple has lost a tremendous amount of my good will because that proves intentional misleading.

Again, I will not spend money on Apple Music if major bugs aren't fixed and tent pole features aren't clearly explained.

At every step sog35 evades the specific concern and attacks the person. I'm not sure how constructive these types of interactions are.
  • Reply 50 of 56
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    I opted in, and now i don't use it... Through unknown steps, the apple music converted my paid for music, did not have an internet connection... Went to the apple syore for a fix... Got it (something about show only purchased music) but it was too late... and ios 9 beta do not allow pocket tunes to work so i had to go back to 8.4...
    Good news is that the recordings i made with pocket tunes were still there after the downgrade, but i still have to redownload music and connect to computer for lossless music...

So to sum up i liked the st. Vincent mix tape show which is almost worth the ten dollars a month for apple music, but because Apple music has been a huge pain for me... But that is me... And even though i am really annoyed by the music snafu, i guess apple music is a good idea...
  • Reply 51 of 56
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

There is a button (text) that you can click that says "show whole album". It took me forever to see it, but it takes care of this problem.

• Reply 52 of 56

Once the free trial is over, will Apple count a subscription to the Family plan as 6 subscribers, or just a single one? Or would they consider the different accounts that are using the Family Plan and only count those? That seems like the logical thing to do.

• Reply 53 of 56
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Not planning on renting music from anyone, although I am giving Spotify's 3 month trial a run.

Overall, I do not see the value of the wasted $3 Billion or the inclusion of Iovine and Co at Apple. The newer versions of iTunes on OS X are awful and the iOS Music app is a pain to use. I have a large library of digital music and am not happy at how Apple has screwed it up for us to chase those too cheap to buy their music.

Why not give the music renters an app and keep that mess separate from iTunes. At the same time, fire the people responsible for the train wreck that is the current OS X iTunes. They fixed what was not broken and did not fix that which should have been addressed (metadata handling comes to mind).
  • Reply 54 of 56
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    Hardware at margins.  But not software and services.  Those are sold for ecosystem stickiness.

This is not the artists' problem, and they are the ones supplying content - or not, if they can no longer afford to.
  • Reply 55 of 56
    Completely agree!
    I would love the iPod app to return. I feel betrayed somehow by the redused functionality and usability of the Music app. I hope Spple gets back to its roots and focusses on people enjoying their own collections!