IBM reportedly plans to purchase up to 200K MacBooks for employees

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    Mine will arrive Wednesday. Definitely the latest OS X, but with a company specific App Store included. I'll let you know if there is anything special about it.

IBM is certainly pushing it though. The page it sent me to to update my old Lenovo highlighted Apple prominently, and only a little text link if I wanted Windows instead.
  • Reply 42 of 45
    bkkcanuckbkkcanuck Posts: 864member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by D.J. Adequate View Post

Mine will arrive Wednesday. Definitely the latest OS X, but with a company specific App Store included. I'll let you know if there is anything special about it.

IBM is certainly pushing it though. The page it sent me to to update my old Lenovo highlighted Apple prominently, and only a little text link if I wanted Windows instead.

Keep us updated what apps that you use (3rd party or IBM) (i.e. productivity, email, communications, and development) or are installed on your laptop and whether they just use the built in email app etc.

• Reply 43 of 45
    Arrived today, a day earlier than I expected.
    [IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/61656/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Pretty standard, but with its own custom App Store. Includes Lotus Notes, Sametime, Apple and MS office products. Cisco VPN and CrashPlan. Takes a bit of work to get the VPN going but so far so good.

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/61660/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
  • Reply 44 of 45
    Quote:

Originally Posted by D.J. Adequate View Post

Arrived today, a day earlier than I expected.

Pretty standard, but with its own custom App Store. Includes Lotus Notes, Sametime, Apple and MS office products. Cisco VPN and CrashPlan. Takes a bit of work to get the VPN going but so far so good.

Does everyone at IBM still use Lotus Notes across the board?  It has been probably 15 years since I was forced to use it last - and it might have improved.... and there was ERP integration for entering time customized into it (which I have commented was a step back because of the time it took to do the entry)..... but with the widespread use of web portals I would have thought the "customized" forms etc. would have been replaced in many workplaces with web pages/portals... and Lotus Notes was not exactly a light application (i.e. it was sluggish - but 15 years the speed boosts on computers might have helped).  As I noted before I am not a big fan of dumping all sorts of functionality into one application just because you can.   Hopefully IBM learns the good things from Apple (re app creation) and not the bad (iTunes :o ).  

I had not realized until a month ago that IBM discontinued their productivity applications.... So I guess MS Word/Excel are common across the board at IBM (which are among Microsoft's better efforts). 

Apple does have the built in Cisco client, but it is not the one we use at our company now -- it is one installed from the vpn web login page (they emailed me the client the first time - and it did not work - then realized I just had to go to the webpage.... IT sent me an old copy by email :p ).  

I do have a soft spot in my heart for IBM (even though I really really would not like to work there - one short time is long enough - a company I worked at was swallowed) dating back to my childhood (35ish years ago) and hope that they are able to transition into a company that can actually learn to develop better applications (though I gather they are focused on services).  

Thanks for the update.

• Reply 45 of 45
    They're slowly moving off Notes to a much nicer web based system called Verse. But there are still a lot of legacy tools that only work with Notes. They've also rolled out OpenOffice, but those who talk to or share files with customers still use MS.

I really hope IBM learns from Apple. There are many things we do well, but customer experience isn't always one of them and a little Apple influence could help.