Latest iOS 9 betas automatically detects, switches away from weak Wi-Fi signals, adds AT&T Wi-Fi cal

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    Your carrier has to support this feature. If you aren't on a carrier that doesn't have Wifi calling, you won't see the setting. 
    We mean the "Wifi Assist", not the "Wifi Calling".
  • Reply 22 of 34
    rycardo wrote: »

In the States the menu item is Cellular as the article refers, in the UK / on my iPhone it's the Mobile Data menu item, not sure about Sweden, an other reference, it's the fourth item in Settings app, YMMV.

The fourth Settings item in Sweden is called "Cellular Net" but within that there is no "Wifi Assist" or equal. Within there is a "Mobile Data" switch but that only turns off mobile data entierly.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iantimmy123 View Post

I don't have this feature after updating. Is it a country specific feature? I'm in the UK

If you're referring to WiFi Assist, it's buried clear at the bottom of the cellular data (mobile data) screen, underneath all of the app permissions... 

I didn't think I had it, either, until I scrolled the whole way down. 

• Reply 24 of 34
    If you're referring to WiFi Assist, it's buried clear at the bottom of the cellular data (mobile data) screen, underneath all of the app permissions... 

I didn't think I had it, either, until I scrolled the whole way down. 

THERE it is! What the heck is it doing all the way down there..? :)
  • Reply 25 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Thanks! Good memory..

What? Your sources failed you? ????
  • Reply 26 of 34
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member

This is a great feature I'll make use of.

Whenever I leave the house to walk to a local store, my iPhone always tries to hang on to my home wifi signal, even when I've gone clear past its range. When this happens, I can no longer connect to the internet because my iPhone will keep trying wifi instead of switching to cellular.

• Reply 27 of 34
    This "WiFi Assist" should have been out YEARS ago -- very important feature!
  • Reply 28 of 34
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple first activated Wi-Fi calling features for T-Mobile's network with an early iOS 8 beta last year.

I can't seem to find this feature. Did it not actually make it into iOS8? 

EDIT: I saw a comment over on 9-5 it's iPhone 6/6+ only

• Reply 29 of 34
    neosumneosum Posts: 113member
    It doesn't work properly (yes I know it's beta software). My phone still hangs on to 1 bar of wifi and refuses to let go until I switch wifi off completely. I would like to see a setting where it drops the wifi based on sensitivity level that we can set. Personally, I would like anything less than 90% optimal to be dropped.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

... Therefore, your idea of switching to the strongest signal or least used would provide adequate capabilities for all users instead of just a few. Of course, that's not the American way. ...

I think it's a *result* of the American way.  Competition leads to differentiation leads to incompatibility and boom: the result is an oligopoly of cell carriers with competing and incompatible cell network technologies.  

And the reason why there is spotty coverage in some suburban areas is because of NIMBY.  Nobody wants a cell tower in their backyard.  There is a group of paranoids near where I live who are dead-set against AT&T installing another cell tower in my area.  So wi-fi calling will be a huge improvement for me.

But, as with many other Apple technologies, Wi-Fi Assist could be a precursor to full cellular carrier switching.  The iTunes app store started out as a mechanism for selling those cheesy little click-wheel games for iPods.  You could buy $5 games for your iPod through the iTunes store.  Four months before the iPhone was announced.  If and when there is some kind of "Mobile spring" revolution, Apple already has the signal strength + switching algorithm to allow iPhones to auto-switch to the best carrier.

• Reply 31 of 34
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    This "WiFi Assist" should have been out YEARS ago -- very important feature!
    Why is this even a user-controlled option? It should be automatic. Just lower the threshold for when a WIFI network is no longer usable. Strange that it would become yet another Setting.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Wi-Fi calling also not available in Salt Lake City yet.

AT&T, for the longest time, said you don't *need* Wi-Fi calling on their network because its so prevalent. However, they're happy to sell you a "micro cell extender" if you don't get their signal... huh.

http://www.att.com/att/microcell/
  • Reply 33 of 34
    lee493lee493 Posts: 22member
    So will AT&T subcribers and T-Mobile subscribers be able to make wi-fi calls between each other with improved sound quality, or does this feature only work when both parties use the same carrier? And when, if ever, will Verizon and Sprint get on board with wi-fi calling?