Conventional watch sales slide after Apple Watch launch, NPD says

Comments

• Reply 61 of 144
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member
    No, tbh, I didn't, the last time.

I did take look at your links this time, and I am kind of sorry I did: the pictures you linked looked somewhat grotesque, especially the Kairos mechanical + digital. (<span style="line-height:1.4em;">But, on the bright side, they take </span>
    bitcoins<span style="line-height:1.4em;">, </span>
    apparently; interesting consumer segment they're catering to!).

<span style="font-size:medium;line-height:1.4em;"> </span>
    One look does not fit all does it. Different strokes. . .
  • Reply 62 of 144
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Yeah, but some minimal sense of taste would be useful.

• Reply 63 of 144
    .. yup, different strokes. FWIW I don't care for plaid either but dang if there aren't golfers that do.
  • Reply 64 of 144
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    gatorguy wrote: »

The watch itself doesn’t look bad. What does look bad is the display over the mechanical part. Just way too busy.
  • Reply 65 of 144
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    The watch itself doesn’t look bad. What does look bad is the display over the mechanical part. Just way too busy.
    On the other hand some might see this iOS/Android one as just too simple. But that's why consumers will appreciate some choice in design and use-cases.
    http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/133595-vector-luna-smartwatch-simple-subtle-and-sexy

Of course Apple will take the lions-share of profits in this space. It's hard to compete with a captive and dedicated user-base of millions. Not impossible, but darn hard to do.
  • Reply 66 of 144
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Yes, that's what I meant.

And what's with that huge, horrendous-looking "B-A-T-T-E-R-Y" in bright green, glorious Casio font in the middle?!

Yikes.

• Reply 67 of 144
    bkkcanuckbkkcanuck Posts: 864member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

I suspect most high end luxury watch buyers are driven by the aesthetic and social aspects of watches, not by functionality. Wearing a flashy Rolex lets the world know that you are sporting some serious financial means. I don't see the inclusion of "smart" features having any impact on sales of watches in the luxury category. The fact that they tell time is more than enough. I also wouldn't read too much into any single data point at this time.

Don't group all luxury watch owners in the same group there really are two or three generalities.  There is the nouveau rich that buy a watch and make sure people notice that - hey I have a luxury watch - jangle it around the wrist loosely spinning it making sure everyone sees.   They are usually driven by insecurities and it shows big time.  

Then you have people that have money and just like to wear quality, usually are not flashy and for many people that could not tell the difference - you would never notice them wearing it.  Different people spend money on different things.  I have a friend that spends around 20K per year on her horses, I have a friend that probably 10K average per year on cars, some people spend it on fancy vacations.... this group tends to be older.    

The Apple watch (with the exception of the gold one) -- is NOT a luxury watch -- it is a functional device - a toy to some - a business device to others - a sporting good to some.  The gold one is IMHO more aimed at the nouveau rich that just like to flash their wealth around.  It is a device that is obsolete in a few years.... with no guarantees that it can be upgraded -- actually not likely as they will likely get thinner.  

In short Apple watches and luxury watches are generally completely different markets.  Luxury watches are more like jewelry or high end personal accessories for dress....  Apple watches are more functional.  

The reason that Swiss watchmakers are concerned and reacting to Apple is not because that watch is competitive with the luxury line, but that it may be attracting people that would buy a "starter watch" (something nice - but affordable in an iPhone sort of way) - which tends to be a gateway into their luxury lines (for some) as they become more successful. 

• Reply 68 of 144
    Some of you have a pathological need to hear and trade stories of Apple's failure to feel good about the state of the world. You know who you are. We all know.
  • Reply 69 of 144
    Quote:

On the other hand some might see this iOS/Android one as just too simple. But that's why consumers will appreciate some choice in design and use-cases.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/133595-vector-luna-smartwatch-simple-subtle-and-sexy

Why does it look so pixelated? They couldn't put in a higher quality display?

• Reply 70 of 144
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

Did you really expect a product released a few months ago almost exclusively online and with massive supply constraints to overthrow established watchmakers more widely available worldwide? Look at the industry a year or two from now and then judge the Apple Watch's impact. iPhone didn't put fear into phone makers in three months available on only one carrier, but by a few years had a massive impact. This report along with the one you linked are useless at this point in time.

I have said absolutely nothing about the long term future or any thoughts I might have in that regard.  I was responding to this AI article which is trying to imply that the Apple watch is having a negative impact on US watch sales right here and now.  I am glad you  agree with me that it is silly to think the Apple Watch could be having such an immediate effect.

• Reply 71 of 144
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bkkcanuck View Post

The gold one is IMHO more aimed at the nouveau rich that just like to flash their wealth around.  

BS. It's a spectacularly gorgeous-looking product, much more so than a couple of very nice higher- (not highest-) end Swiss watches I own.

I would buy it in a heartbeat if I could comfortably afford it.

• Reply 72 of 144
    Why does it look so pixelated? They couldn't put in a higher quality display?
    Mu guess, and it's just that, is it's a trade-off for a lot better battery life. Hopefully within another generation or two of wearables that becomes a negligible concern and I think it will.
  • Reply 73 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

BS. It's a spectacularly gorgeous-looking product, much more so than a couple of very nice higher- (not highest-) end Swiss watches I own.

I would buy it in a heartbeat if I could comfortably afford it.

It is putting your TV in a gold cabinet..... it will make you tv look wonderful but it still has cheap / rapidly obsolete components inside of it.   Spending $15,000 on an Apple Watch is spending $15,000 on a disposable item....  Spending $15,000 on quality jewelry is going to last a lifetime - in many cases handed down to future generations....  Apple watch $15,000 in 3 years.... and you have to find what to use that hunk of gold for now.

It only serves to flash that you have it... 

• Reply 74 of 144
    Quote:

It only serves to flash that you have it... 

Perhaps among the people with whom you hang-out.

• Reply 75 of 144
    Quote:

Mu guess, and it's just that, is it's a trade-off for a lot better battery life. Hopefully within another generation or two of wearables that becomes a negligible concern and I think it will.

Ah, got it.

It's about fugly-looking versus battery drain.

• Reply 76 of 144
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Perhaps among the people with whom you hang-out.

Somebody's a little cranky today....

• Reply 77 of 144
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    I never thought it would be an instaneous thing like armageddon or a rapture. After the release of the iPhone, Nokia and Blackberry (RIM) continued to sell phones for years. It took many years for the market to sour for them.  The watch may or may not do that. Time will tell. High end watchmakers may not have much to fear or maybe they will as they all compete for the same spot on the wrist. But if you are Chanel or one of the similar stylish accessory watch makers you should probably look at making Apple watch bands if you want to stay in the game. My wife has left her J12 in the jewelry box the last couple months in favor of her Apple watch which cost a sixth of the price and quite honestly even as an Apple fan I don't think it looks as nice, but I can't argue it is not significantly more useful. 

RiM even increased their sales dramatically because the iPhone launch started the smartphone's interest in the consumer sector.
  • Reply 78 of 144
    Quote:

Not in the least.

I am always like that...

• Reply 79 of 144
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    bkkcanuck wrote: »

Not in the least.

I am always like that...

And I was starting to believe that it was just me that you're cranky with. :lol:
  • Reply 80 of 144
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Cue the analysts to declare the watches to be failures since windows phones out sold them.

Who knows for sure why it declined. It's just coincidence Apple watch was released.