Apple's Jimmy Iovine hints at curation playing part in future TV product

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited August 2015
While discussing Apple Music in a new interview published on Thursday, Apple executive Jimmy Iovine mentioned the prospect of applying curation to TV, potentially pointing to a direction for Apple's rumored streaming TV service.

"We all know one thing, we all have different television delivery systems, don't we all wish that the delivery systems were better, as far as curation and service?" Iovine told Wired without being asked about the topic.

He claimed that while all of the current systems are "technically good," and companies like Netflix are crossing into original content, they don't help in finding something to watch.

"That box helps you none -- it doesn't help. You're on your own. And eventually that will catch them unless somebody digs in and really helps the customer. And entertainment needs that, it needs to live and breathe," the executive said.

He added however that he isn't planning to get involved in any TV projects, because music alone is "so daunting that I can't even think about anything else."

Rumors have circulated for many months that Apple is working on a TV streaming service with a "skinny" bundle of channels. The company has reportedly had a tough time negotiating content deals though, and the most recent rumor hinted at a 2016 launch, or at best late 2015.

Curation might also simply be applied to a refreshed Apple TV set-top expected in September. That device should not only have Siri and an App Store, but a new operating system, which could in theory use curation to better highlight videos available to buy and rent.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Beats TV? Nah...
  • Reply 2 of 31
    "curation"... the 3B dollar word, already a bit worn, I think.
  • Reply 3 of 31

I don't have issues with finding stuff on Netflix. I have issues with them not having stuff when I want to watch it. I don't see Apple solving that with the same model.

• Reply 4 of 31
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Great! I do curation of TV Shows and Movies all the time with friends and family since I know the stuff they will like and I'll likely know something exists before they will so it would be nice to get some curation assistance for myself, however, curation is not even in my Top 10 requirements for a revamped Apple TV.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Great! I do curation of TV Shows and Movies all the time with friends and family since I know the stuff they will like and I'll likely know something exists before they will so it would be nice to get some curation assistance for myself, however, curation is not even in my Top 10 requirements for a revamped Apple TV.

I want it to retain the Ethernet port, have a reasonable price point ($99 ideally), and have an open app store so I can choose the services I want and not just the ones Apple has deals with. That's pretty much it.

• Reply 6 of 31
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismy wrote: »

I was thinking the same thing. There aren't as many genres of TV shows as music, and there just aren't enough TV shows to warrant curation. Most of the shows I recommend are British, like Luther, Misfits, and Copper. Also many really good foreign language shows are made in a English version like The Bridge, and Gracepoint.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    I curate my Netflix wish list, but Netflix has an algorithm that suggests what it thinks I want to watch from its 1-or-2-star back catalog of B-movies (and frankly, C- and D-movies). I mean, it's the long tail of stuff you never heard of and stuff that would languish on the shelf at Blockbuster, if they were still around.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member

I want it to retain the Ethernet port, have a reasonable price point ($99 ideally), and have an open app store so I can choose the services I want and not just the ones Apple has deals with. That's pretty much it.

1. High-profile 4K UHD processing and output
    2. 4K UHD content on the iTS
    3. Default option for 4K content on YouTube,Vimeo, Netflix, etc.
    4. More storage
    5. App Store and SDK
    6. Computers button removed, or at least named Sharing or something more useful (If you have only one Home Sharing library connected that should show up)
    7. Pinning of your main iTunes library to the home screen
    8. Letting me move and hide their iTS buttons (i.e.: Movies, TV Shows)
    9. Something better than each network getting their own channel
    10. A remote that will alter the Apple TV's UI, content, preferences, etc. based on which household member has control of the remote, including blocking out certain kind of content and at certain times for the children.
    11. 10GigE to go along with a new AirPort Extreme with 10GigE, or at least use USB3.x on each so we can get up to 5 gib/s over a wired connection.
    12. A proper iTunes Server in the for of an Apple Home Server. This likely means a primary hub Apple TV that costs several hundred dollars, but which allows satellite Apple TVs to be $100 for all the other TVs in the home.
    13. An open standard for all TVs that will allow video and data passthrough so that a BT antenna, camera, mics, speakers and other sensors can potentially be routed through any participating TV. You could also then create a standard connector and mount since the Apple TV will no longer need to be seen.

dasanman69 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing. There aren't as many genres of TV shows as music, and there just aren't enough TV shows to warrant curation.

There is also the way we indulge in these media. For example, I might recommends a band and do so by pulling out a single song that could be track 5 of their 3 album for you to listen to, but curation of TV shows are typically the whole series, not a single episode*. So the number of TV series** to the number of songs is what needs to be compared. Even if we limit songs to genre it's still not even close to being the same.

* There are key episodes of shows I recommend to get people interested, but that just gets them to watch the series from the beginning.
    ** Series in the American usage, not in the British usage which weirdly means season.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    One could argue that all producers curate. I like the human element. I'll take the best curators, DJs and producers over any algorithm. I probably will for years and years to come.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    mrshowmrshow Posts: 164member
    This sounds dumb as hell. Music benefits from curation because of the vast amounts available.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    When Jimmys wearing his Apple hat out in public, he should learn some discretion about things he's not involved in.
    He's a loose cannon. Full of himself.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

That will never happen! In order to have an app in the app store you will have to  have an agreement with Apple. Be careful for what you ask for because a truly open app store that allowed any and all apps would be security nightmare of malware and such. 

• Reply 13 of 31
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    robm wrote: »
    When Jimmys wearing his Apple hat out in public, he should learn some discretion about things he's not involved in.
    He's a loose cannon. Full of himself.

Ha!!! You said "Jimmy's wearing a hat". Who knows that reference without looking it up?
  • Reply 14 of 31
    pigybankpigybank Posts: 178member
    Thanks but no thanks.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    All thats Bogus, all i want is a Apple TV that replaces conventional gaming systems like XBOX 360 and PS3, I want a sleek system that has graphics of the order of PS3 or better and I could play my games on it, including the ones that i bought on iPhone so that i can play them on the go and when i am at home.

Thats good enough for me. right now switching between so many media devices on TV is hectic , gaming system , Tivo and chrome cast or Roku who the hell needs so many devices , integration is the key and only Apple can deliver that vertical integration.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    All thats Bogus, all i want is a Apple TV that replaces conventional gaming systems like XBOX 360 and PS3, I want a sleek system that has graphics of the order of PS3 or better and I could play my games on it, including the ones that i bought on iPhone so that i can play them on the go and when i am at home.

Thats good enough for me. right now switching between so many media devices on TV is hectic , gaming system , Tivo and chrome cast or Roku who the hell needs so many devices , integration is the key and only Apple can deliver that vertical integration.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    ha - should've used quote marks. "Apple hat" .
    Better ?:D
  • Reply 18 of 31

I just want a Apple TV which replaces conventional bulky Gaming systems like xbox 360 , Nintendo DS and Sony PS3, It should have a processor like Apple A8X, which is  powerful enough to deliver a machine with gaming capability. So that i start playing a game on mobile (lIke ravensword) when i am travelling and continue it on TV or Mac or whatever when i reach home. Thats is what i want.

I really think Apple can deliver a machine that is truly Mind Blowing, and makes Xbox 360 and Sony PS people to think again before they make there next ugly beast.

TV is a center for many media devices, TiVo, Chrome cast, and A gaming Console. All these need to be integrated into a single device that makes our life as users easier and we don't have to switch between 3 devices. Only Apple can deliver such an experience that is vertically integrated.

• Reply 19 of 31
    jambijambi Posts: 2member

I need TV curation, pronto.

I am picky about what I watch and an 'early adopter' of shows.

It's not just about the Netflix queue, anymore.

I now get 'Hulu' just for 3 shows, same thing with Netflix and Amazon, Two good (Really good) shows, tops. Of course, Apple TV. Also, If I want to watch 'the jim gaffigan show', I need to buy a separate tier from my cable TV provider....or wait till it's on Hulu... Oh yeah, it's also on comedy central....sometime!? HELP! It's too costly and confusing to keep up. Everyone is making content now. 

• Reply 20 of 31
    Sunday Morning Call - "Hi Jimmy, its Tim here, Apple Music failed and all your ideas are crap so I'm afraid you have to go, I'm glad we gave it a shot but I guess it just wasn't meant to be".

Wouldn't be too fussed if he called up Eddy with the same message!

Clearly there is anger building within Apple.
    - Developers getting asked to do dumb things to iTunes and are destroying it in protest.
    - Lovine wanting to use humans instead of machines for curation, its great to give a few people some jobs but its not scalable to Apples needs. Loving is so out of touch with technology.
    - Lovine and Eddy too public, telling stories about calling up Tim to ask him stuff just amateurish and makes me shudder.