Apple continues to gain ground in US smartphone market as Android shrinks

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2015
Apple not only remained dominant in the U.S. smartphone market during the June quarter, but was also the only top-five OEM to exhibit gains over the three-month period, according to new data from research firm comScore.

The latest numbers from comScore's MobiLens tracker, released on Friday, show iPhone grew its share of the U.S. market to 44.1 percent in June, up 1.5 percent quarter over quarter.

Trailing Apple was Samsung, LG, Motorola and HTC, all of which suffered minor declines in marketshare, suggesting Apple is winning over Android converts. Samsung's piece of the pie dropped 0.2 points to 28.1 percent, while smaller players LG and Motorola both saw dips of 0.1 percent to end the quarter with a respective 8.3 percent and 4.9 percent marketshare. HTC was hardest hit with a fall of 0.4 percent for the quarter, dropping its take down to 3.4 percent of the market.

As for America's most popular operating system, Android continues to see its once commanding lead whittled away by Apple's iOS. Google's share of the market dropped from 52.4 percent to 51.6 percent, shrinking the buffer zone between No. 2 Apple to 7.5 points.

Both Microsoft and BlackBerry saw a negative 0.4 point change during the June quarter, dropping their share of smartphone subscribers to 2.9 percent and 1.2 percent, respectively. Symbian held steady, but trailed the pack with a 0.1-percent marketshare.

Since launching larger-screened iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus models last year, Apple has gobbled up marketshare from competing manufacturers. Apple sold 47.5 million iPhones over the June quarter, a record-setting performance that drove company revenue to $49.6 billion. That upward trend is expected to continue as the company prepares to launch next-generation handsets in the coming weeks.

According to the latest rumor, Apple's so-called "iPhone 6s" series could debut at a special event on on Sept. 9. The smartphone duo is widely expected to feature a faster "A9" SoC with 2GB of RAM, Force Touch display technology and camera upgrades.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Apple up, Apple down, Apple up, Apple down....

Utterly clueless bunch.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    One thing's a sure bet ... Samsung's profits will down yet again next quarter.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    But wait...Wall Street says....
  • Reply 4 of 26
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Utterly clueless bunch.
    Agreed. Different day different reports. It gets silly
  • Reply 5 of 26
    gatorguy wrote: »

Especially when you consider Apple has been 'up' in all things, profits, leading technology, beating Google, Samsung and Microsoft at every turn, all along. I'm sure that's what you meant by silly, and I agree too.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Up/down.... Right, wasn't there a report earlier this week claiming that Apple lost market share in the U.S. during the most recent quarter?
  • Reply 7 of 26
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Did Samsung ever have a dominate market share in the US?
  • Reply 8 of 26
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I don't recall them ever having one.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    Nope, they just have the leading android devices "shipped" . Still don't know what landfill they are being shipped to :)

In terms of usage, my own websites place iOS devices at the top, with only a small handful of android devices even getting anywhere near iPod levels. You have to fold the entire Samsung line (phones, tablets, smarttvs) to get any number above iPads.

Like, who knows, it could be true that Samsung sells more phones than Apple sells iPhones, but very few of those Samsung phones are actually being used as smartphones, let alone the owners paying money for apps.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

Weren't we just told yesterday that apple is loosing smart phone share in the us?  The real info here is that none of these data analyzing companies have any clue what there talking about.  There morons.

• Reply 11 of 26
    mechanic wrote: »

Weren't we just told yesterday that apple is loosing smart phone share in the us?  The real info here is that none of these data analyzing companies have any clue what there talking about.  There morons.

I'd love to agree but I suspect most are manipulators or puppets of manipulators.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    badmonk wrote: »
    But wait...Wall Street says....

... What ever they think will help them screw the average investor to their benefit.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Tim Cook needs to go, right guys? He's destroying the company, right guys? I disagree with his social views and his tweets enrage me, so clearly he isn't fit to lead Apple. 

/s

• Reply 14 of 26
    One thing's a sure bet ... Samsung's profits will down yet again next quarter.

Samsung just cut the retail prices of their top products by $100 each to "improve profitability." Wait, wait... cut prices to improve profitability??
  • Reply 15 of 26
    I don't recall them ever having one.

Maybe, it you count flip phones
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Maybe, it you count flip phones

But they always count flip phones. You can't let Apple win!

• Reply 17 of 26

But but but but

Apple is doomed. Research reports say so, Wall St says so.

I guess those anal(yists) will be going around all weekend with their fingers in their ears shouting 'Na na na can't hear you'.

To be honest, I've sort of given up actually getting a clear unbiased review of the market.

• Reply 18 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Pump...dump...pump...dump...
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Depends on which source you read. Yesterday another report was saying that iOS was down and Android was up. Comscore also doesn't have a very accurate history with these numbers
  • Reply 20 of 26
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Utterly clueless bunch.

Click bait, and we fall for it, hook, line, and sucker.