Apple expected to unveil 'iPhone 6s,' new Apple TV on Sept. 9

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

Of the people that own a 6 or 6 plus, do you think you'll be going for the 6s variant or better to wait for the 7?

Wait for Skylake. I hear it will be made from real rainbow unicorns.

• Reply 42 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frood View Post

No, it was a good answer, thank you =)

The 6 and 6+ had very obvious and compelling reasons to buy and upgrade from the 5s, but ended up being so good I'm not sure if many will see a need for the 's' upgrade or will skip a cycle.  I think one of Apple's strengths are its users are affluent enough and view their devices as personal enough they just always upgrade them regardless.

I'm curious to see how Verizon getting rid of cheap on-contract pricing affects how often their customers upgrade.

• Reply 43 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Get ready for disappointment /s

Can't be worse than the iPhone 6. If anything I am expecting Apple to put their house back in order with the 6S and 6S+. 

• Reply 44 of 83
    thejdthejd Posts: 37member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RPT View Post

No problem to print my ticket at the check-in devices, that is what I frequently do, because of low battery. Please tell Apple that they should withdraw the passbook app, because even people with 15 340 posts at this site doesn't see the need for it.

I would have to respectfully disagree.  I travel very frequently for my business so I find Passbook extremely handy.  It eliminates the need for me to carry around/stuff in my bag/keep track of flight boarding passes, car reservations, hotel reservations.  It also aggregates as many of my rewards numbers as possible so my wallet doesn't become a Costanza model.

You might achieve the same result if Apple allowed Passbook to be restricted in Settings.  I'm doing that right now with the Connect service and used to do it with Siri on my 4s in iOS 6 or 7 when I didn't use it enough to warrant the battery drain.  It would be a good feature request.

• Reply 45 of 83
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    rpt wrote: »

No problem to print my ticket at the check-in devices, that is what I frequently do, because of low battery. Please tell Apple that they should withdraw the passbook app, because even people with 15 340 posts at this site doesn't see the need for it.
    It's only a problem if you fly Allegiant which charges you $5 to print your ticket at the airport.

I personally don't have time to stand in those lines, or screw with those frustrating kiosks. I walk in and straight through security. That's why I always carry a backup battery pack, just in case my phone runs out of power at a critical time.
  • Reply 46 of 83
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

That will be one hot Apple TV upgrade and I don't even have a clue what's new. Here's what I'm hoping for:

- streamlined interface: I don't even know what kinds of shows I have anymore

- kill whoever invented the code scheme where I have to get up, go to my computer, go to a website and enter a code that I've forgotten by the time I get to the entry screen

- shot in the dark: hopefully it'll run iOS apps, at least WWF

- new remote w/ voice control

- get amazon prime streaming video on board!

I just switched from DirecTV to Comcast. Looks like the Comcast TV guide was designed by Jonny Ive - the fonts are whisper thin and white and tiny. Huge areas of black space. But the remote is really cool and compact. It's drop dead easy to program it to my peripherals and just moving or touching it lights up the buttons. It has voice control which is surprisingly functional.

I hope Apple takes a peek at their competition from time to time.

-----

On the iPhone 6S - I think the new iOS and haptic feedback will be enough to cause a huge wave of upgrades.

• Reply 47 of 83
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

That will be one hot Apple TV upgrade and I don't even have a clue what's new....

I hope Apple takes a peek at their competition from time to time.

I wonder if they'll have two models...keeping the existing AppleTV priced at $69 and a more advanced and pricier version in the $199 range.

With Chromecast available for $39, I'd love to see Apple competitively price two models at $49 and $99.

• Reply 48 of 83
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    satchmo wrote: »
    I wonder if they'll have two models...keeping the existing AppleTV priced at $69 and a more advanced and pricier version in the $199 range.

I'd like to see something powerful as a hub device for the $199-299 range, and then satellite devices for $99 and $69 for 4K UHD and 1080p, respectively.
  • Reply 49 of 83
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Wow. That's the second such 'scoop' from Buzzfeed. Not bad for them, if it turns out to be true.

And, it looks like Ming-Chi Kuo has some competition!

Kuo has been "disconnected".
  • Reply 50 of 83

I guess we will now have to refer to them as "noted industry analyst Buzzfeed."

Long may lazy and uninspiring writing live.
  • Reply 51 of 83
    Why is AppleInsider reporting stories from Buzzfeed? I thought that had less than zero credibility.

Zero credibility is the new credibility.
  • Reply 52 of 83
    f1turbo wrote: »

My wife will definitely be downsizing from 6+ to 6s.  I'll probably update my 6 to 6s.  We used to only update every other year due to AT&T contract structure, but that's gone now, so we'll probably update every year.  No reason not to with good resale value of iPhones.  

I really need a new iPad though.  I'm still using an iPad 3.  

Prepare to be shocked by the difference in weight. I was.
  • Reply 53 of 83

Wait for Skylake. I hear it will be made from real rainbow unicorns.

And the protective cases will be crafted from leather made of baby dragons.
  • Reply 54 of 83
    satchmo wrote: »
    With Chromecast available for $39, I'd love to see Apple competitively price two models at $49 and $99.

Personally I'd rather they added DVR functionality for over-the-air broadcast TV. That, plus the regular features would make it a cordcutter's dream.
  • Reply 55 of 83
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

If the upgraded iPad's are introduced on Sept. 9 along with the new iPhones and Apple TV, its probably because iPad sales have shrunk so much over the last couple of years that its not worth having their own specific presentation date anymore. Maybe instead they'll use that same date to introduce new and upgraded Macs as well as a new 8K Cinema display - finally!

• Reply 56 of 83
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    palegolas wrote: »
    Jolly good times ahead :)
    I think an iPad pro would need pro work flow, pro apps, and even no latency tablet-to-Mac (Wacom Cintiq killer) functionality with an awesome and super precise stylus.

I agree but what makes you think Apple has the mindset or capability of encouraging a precise stylus as an input device, given its long history of being opposed to them?
  • Reply 57 of 83
    Personally I'd rather they added DVR functionality for over-the-air broadcast TV. That, plus the regular features would make it a cordcutter's dream.

You never know but DVR capabilities seems like a return to the past. Certainly they wouldn't add local DVR capabilities with an attached hard drive.Perhaps a cloud based capability but even then ...
  • Reply 58 of 83
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I'd like to see something powerful as a hub device for the $199-299 range, and then satellite devices for $99 and $69 for 4K UHD and 1080p, respectively.

This is meant to reach a large user base not kill off the Apple TV. The price has to be under $100. 4K makes no sense for the limited audience. They need content not hardware gymnastics.
  • Reply 59 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

And the protective cases will be crafted from leather made of baby dragons.

PeTA is against the murder of baby dragons.

• Reply 60 of 83
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    pmcd wrote: »
    This is meant to reach a large user base not kill off the Apple TV. The price has to be under $100. 4K makes no sense for the limited audience. They need content not hardware gymnastics.

I don't understand your comment. When does Apple add 4K content and 4K output? AFTER everyone has a 4K set? If that's the case then we would't even have 720p. What do you mean by "gymnastics"? It's all very straightforward stuff.