How to use the new back button in iOS 9

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    rcfa wrote: »
    Awesome: you managed to devote an entire article (and created the corresponding ad space) to a feature so self explanatory that its entire help text fits into the button itself...

How about a series of articles on other little talked about features?

Here some suggestions:
    The headphone plug
    The volume buttons (could be two parts, one article on the + and one on the - button)
    The mute toggle
    The power button
    App folders

I'm sure more topics will come to mind as time goes by...

Lmao...
  • Reply 22 of 92
    Ah. Reachability. The feature that in terms of usefulness competes directly with quick type for me. Especially when browsing: tap-tap. Then tap on address bar. Again tap-tap for copying link. New tab. Tap-tap for Address bar. Tap-tap for paste. And not soon after you can modify the link. Ok. Doesn't happen often. But still, all this tapping is close to overloading the UI IMHO. I'm curious whether force touch will simplify or add to the complexity.

Yeah, I activate Reachability by accident far too often. Why it's not a toggle in Settings is beyond me.
    Why would they ever switch from Windows Phone? Windows Phone 10 is coming! Unless of course, they're just saying that in the forums to insulate that Windows had this feature first, and they have no plans to ever use iOS 9.

If Windows had it first...why does it matter if they say that? How many Apple fans go around pointing out all the things iOS had first? Heck, most of the new stuff in iOS is stolen from the jailbreaking community.
  • Reply 23 of 92
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

???

You're not sorry. I assume you guys only test the site with chrome.

Some of us still use Safari on iOS 8. I know, crazy right? Who still uses an iPhone to view this site? We should be using safe and secure android where Flash is still worshipped as a deity, am I right?

In the meantime, can you fix the issue for the last of us iOS 8 Safari-using hold-outs? Because Safari does in fact support HTML5 video:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20347352/html5-video-tag-not-working-in-safari-iphone-and-ipad

I see that message in both Chrome and Safari on my Mac.

• Reply 24 of 92
    crowley wrote: »
    I see that message in both Chrome and Safari on my Mac.

Then someone at AI must have messed up real bad on the content side!
  • Reply 25 of 92
    Any button in the upper-left is bad.

I can't reach up there on my 4" iPhone 5S without shifting my grip.

All navigational buttons should be at the bottom of the screen.
  • Reply 26 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

All navigational buttons should be at the bottom of the screen.

Wholly agree.  Something that every other mobile OS apart from iOS seems to get right.  Reachability is an absurd solution for something that shouldn't be a problem.

• Reply 27 of 92
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Maybe I'm a bit slow today, but what's this "double-tap-swipe-left-tap-again gesture" business?

Edit: ah. Double tap the home button to enter the app switcher. Now I get it. Must be too warm today... ;)
    Not at all. (Unless I misunderstand) they mean "double-click", not "double-tap".
  • Reply 28 of 92

^ There's no need to swipe left either.  The correct maneuvre would be double-click-then-tap.

• Reply 29 of 92
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    The new back button looks horrible, blocks other info, is not necessary, and doesn't match the rest of the UI.

What the hay?
  • Reply 30 of 92
    grbladegrblade Posts: 93member
    I really hate it staying up there blocking the signal strength. I don't usually need to right back to the previous app. It's distracting. It makes me want to close the app and reopen it directly just to get rid of the stupid thing.
  • Reply 31 of 92
    About time! I'd been wondering how long that would take.
  • Reply 32 of 92
    9secondko wrote: »
    The new back button looks horrible, blocks other info, is not necessary, and doesn't match the rest of the UI.

What the hay?

Yeah. Duplicates functionality by removing other functionality (ability to see info). I'm with you
  • Reply 33 of 92
    9secondko wrote: »

What the hay?

Yeah. Duplicates functionality by removing other functionality (ability to see info). I'm with you

This button will only be on existing hardware. The new products, available next month will not show this button and be replaced with force touch. As new hardware cycles in and the old cycles out, this will be a temporary measure.
  • Reply 34 of 92
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Awesome: you managed to devote an entire article (and created the corresponding ad space) to a feature so self explanatory that its entire help text fits into the button itself...

Here some suggestions:
    The headphone plug
    The volume buttons (could be two parts, one article on the + and one on the - button)
    The mute toggle
    The power button
    App folders

I'm not running the beta, so the feature is new to me. the article did its job by informing me how it worked and when.
  • Reply 35 of 92
    Ah. Reachability. The feature that in terms of usefulness competes directly with quick type for me. Especially when browsing: tap-tap. Then tap on address bar. Again tap-tap for copying link. New tab. Tap-tap for Address bar. Tap-tap for paste. And not soon after you can modify the link. Ok. Doesn't happen often. But still, all this tapping is close to overloading the UI IMHO. I'm curious whether force touch will simplify or add to the complexity.
    I honestly like reachability and quick type.
  • Reply 36 of 92
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'm struggling to see how the new back button looks horrible? What's horrible about it? Plus it's not there all the time. It's only there to help you remember where you were and let you quickly get back when you get taken from one app to another.
  • Reply 37 of 92
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member

Here some suggestions:
    The headphone plug
    The mute toggle
    The power button
    App folders

None of the features you mention are in beta.

I haven't had the chance to see the feature in question to see its drop-dead simple interface in action.

So I found this information useful.
  • Reply 38 of 92
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fruitstandninja View Post

I honestly like reachability and quick type.

Right there with you, brother.

Heck, once I got used to Quick Type I couldn't believe I ever was able to function without it!

• Reply 39 of 92
    ronnoronno Posts: 5member

It's too bad it's not as good as the Android back button.

In Android, if you click a link and get forwarded to a web site, and then click back, that web page will not remain open after you leave it using the back button.

Here in iOS, clicking on a number of web links ends up with a ton of open web pages in Safari. Seriously annoying. And no way to close all the pages at once either.

• Reply 40 of 92
    How 'bout a hardware Back button? Now where have I seen that before?