How to use the new back button in iOS 9

Comments

• Reply 41 of 92
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    cnocbui wrote: »
    Those familiar with Windows Phone OS will feel a sense of déjà vu but will be scratching their heads as to why it is no longer in the right place.

So six people will get déjà vu? Not the end of the world. Not people have probably never even arena. Windows phone, let alone used one.
  • Reply 42 of 92
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

Fail. That's one thing that irritates me with Android.  But I tell you what... I use the double tap on the home button for Reachability... let's see... never.  I have the iPhone 6 Plus, but I find the feature annoying and I sometimes accidentally trigger it.

BUT... if there was a way to change that function to go back to the calling app, I think that would be more intuitive.  For instance, Safari opens a link in maps... double tap on the home button to return to where you were.  It's also pretty intuitive since before you needed to double press the home button to get the multitasking view anyway.

• Reply 43 of 92
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Reason is so Apple can introduce a "Natural direction for task switcher" switch in the settings menu.
    indiekiduk wrote: »
    Is this the reason why the flipped the direction of the task switcher? Users that previously did commit that to muscle memory now find they need to do the opposite.
  • Reply 44 of 92
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    I think it's a poor implementation. It should be scrapped and the 4-finger swipe gesture to the right to return to the previous app should be encouraged instead.
  • Reply 45 of 92
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

???

You're not sorry. I assume you guys only test the site with chrome.

Some of us still use Safari on iOS 8. I know, crazy right? Who still uses an iPhone to view this site? We should be using safe and secure android where Flash is still worshipped as a deity, am I right?

In the meantime, can you fix the issue for the last of us iOS 8 Safari-using hold-outs? Because Safari does in fact support HTML5 video:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20347352/html5-video-tag-not-working-in-safari-iphone-and-ipad

Not working in my Safari on OS X 10.10 either. And the substitute link doesn't work either. What gives, AI?

• Reply 46 of 92
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

So six people will get déjà vu? Not the end of the world. Not people have probably never even arena. Windows phone, let alone used one.

You forgot a few million, Android had this since version 1.0

• Reply 47 of 92
    @haptic

re : No surprise as Sir Jony has been driving on the wrong side of the road for a considerable period of time in his life ;-)

Ahhh, the old misunderstanding, You, Sir, may have been driving on the right side but we have been driving on the correct side of the road .

;)
  • Reply 48 of 92
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

I think it's a poor implementation. It should be scrapped and the 4-finger swipe gesture to the right to return to the previous app should be encouraged instead.

Four fingers on the iPhone? 

Uh-huh.

• Reply 49 of 92
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

so you're a four-finger kinda guy huh? Some people like to use less.

• Reply 50 of 92
    tokyojimu wrote: »
    How 'bout a hardware Back button? Now where have I seen that before?

How about not? Because in this case, the button only appears in a clearly defined context - when you were catapulted out of whatever you were doing into a different app, it will return you to the previous app.

A hardware button changes function depending upon what you were doing. It could flip you between apps, or return you to one of the home screens, or move back within the app.

This function is explicitly NOT the same as a dedicated hardware back button. It is much more limited and simpler - by design.
  • Reply 51 of 92
    indiekiduk wrote: »
    Is this the reason why the flipped the direction of the task switcher? Users that previously did commit that to muscle memory now find they need to do the opposite.

I haven't used iOS 9 yet, but on 8, I'm constantly swiping in the wrong direction when flipping between apps.
  • Reply 52 of 92
    Has the Apple news/rumor business peaked?
  • Reply 53 of 92
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    A 4 finger swipe on the phone doesn't seem like a good UX. And I wonder how many people even use that gesture on the iPad.
  • Reply 54 of 92
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Now it will be double-tap the home button to activate Reachability so you can tap the new back button in iOS 9. Because everybody wants a phablet. image

Ah. Reachability. The feature that in terms of usefulness competes directly with quick type for me. Especially when browsing: tap-tap. Then tap on address bar. Again tap-tap for copying link. New tab. Tap-tap for Address bar. Tap-tap for paste. And not soon after you can modify the link. Ok. Doesn't happen often. But still, all this tapping is close to overloading the UI IMHO. I'm curious whether force touch will simplify or add to the complexity.

And, despite all the "tapping, tapping at my chamber door", there is still no tap or gesture for "scroll to the bottom"...  :-(

• Reply 55 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

A 4 finger swipe on the phone doesn't seem like a good UX. And I wonder how many people even use that gesture on the iPad.

I use it all the time, especially four-finger swipe up to get to the app switcher (since swipe direction between apps seems to switch randomly* ).

*) I know it's not random, but it flips often enough to be annoying, so I go via the switcher instead.

• Reply 56 of 92
    can someone please help me? for some reason i don't see the back button in the ios 9 beta on my iphone 6
  • Reply 57 of 92

A back button, side by side apps, the ability to watch a video while doing something else.

Who cares if the photocopiers are working overtime in Cupertino. I am happy iOS9 is finally giving us these basic features.

• Reply 58 of 92
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member

I guess that's nice, I'd rather they'd fix the intensely annoying "open in app" situation where it springs open a safari tab then bounces you back over to the app. Then you have to go back and manually close the blank safari tab. There has to be a solution for this at some point.

• Reply 59 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

And, despite all the "tapping, tapping at my chamber door", there is still no tap or gesture for "scroll to the bottom"...  :-(

I second that.

• Reply 60 of 92

This is awesome. I was thinking I wished the button existed, now it does!

This will definitely save time. A little tweak that I'm actually pretty jazzed about.