New video shows alleged 'iPhone 6s' shell with reinforced sides, lighter weight

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2015
A new video published on Monday shows a gold iPhone shell claimed to be for Apple's rumored "iPhone 6s," and suggested that Apple has strategically reinforced portions of the device to avoid last year's media-hyped "bendgate" controversy.

The areas around buttons and other cut-outs in the 6s shell are "significantly" thicker when compared with the iPhone 6, according to Unbox Therapy. The YouTube channel also did overall length, width, and mass measurements, finding that while the 6s part is slightly bigger than its predecessor, it manages to be 2 grams lighter.

The latter point may back claims by KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo and others, who have hinted that Apple is using tougher 7000 Series aluminum. Along with some structural changes, the material could be allowing Apple to make the 6s more resilient while miniminizing bulk. 7000 Series metal is already used in the Apple Watch Sport.

Unbox Therapy was one of the originators of "bendgate," thanks to a video showing that it was possible to permanently warp an iPhone 6 Plus with enough hand pressure. Previously, some people had complained that the 6 Plus was bending in their pockets.

Later videos noted that other smartphones -- such the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 -- are not immune to the problem. The controversy has largely died down since, although Apple may be eager to avoid any future bad publicity.

The iPhone 6s and a 6s Plus are expected to be announced as soon as September 9, though when they will ship is uncertain, especially given rumors of production delays.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    A stronger body just means that goons will simply apply more force to bend it so that they can get their little 15 minutes of fame on their amateur YouTube channel, and be linked to by link-baiting blogs and websites (and you can bet your a$$ AI will be there).
  • Reply 2 of 44
    Apple hasn't said anything about their upcoming phone being stronger; that's entirely the rumor mill making promises again on Apple's behalf.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I wonder which 7000 series alloy they're using. There's a big difference in strength and hardness between the 705x and 707x series, with the 705x being the stronger and harder. Both are significantly better in both regards than the most commonly used 6061.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    A stronger body just means that goons will simply apply more force to bend it so that they can get their little 15 minutes of fame on their amateur YouTube channel, and be linked to by link-baiting blogs and websites (and you can bet your a$$ AI will be there).

It doesn't matter. It's the relative performance that matters.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

Was there ever a Bengate media circus surrounding the highly bendable Sammy S6? You know, The one that bends and glass shatters at LESS force than the iPhone?

Did these youtube 5-minutes-of-famers even cover it?

• Reply 6 of 44
    Finally! Its a bit ridiculous that the iPhone was able to bend so easily as it did. It does mean that more people will be interested in the phone now though. And with easy accessible unlock services such as http://www.unlockingofficial.com more and more people will be ready to make the move from Android to iPhone.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    sog35 wrote: »
    Fuc unbox therapy

Why? Even though their feeble attempt of trolling failed miserably it may have helped to push Apple to make the pone even sturdier which is a good thing.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Will the "slightly bigger" size fit in cases for the current iPhone 6?
  • Reply 9 of 44

My iPhone 6 must be defective - it's nearing a year old and hasn't bent at all despite being dropped, sat on, and unintentionally used as a see-saw.

On an unrelated note - Apple's leather case has proven to be durable, effective, and unobtrusive - MUCH better than the bumpers, which each lasted about a year before falling apart.

• Reply 10 of 44
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    melgross wrote: »
    I wonder which 7000 series alloy they're using. There's a big difference in strength and hardness between the 705x and 707x series, with the 705x being the stronger and harder. Both are significantly better in both regards than the most commonly used 6061.

Would they be using the same one as on the Watch?
  • Reply 11 of 44
    Why? Even though their feeble attempt of trolling failed miserably it may have helped to push Apple to make the pone even sturdier which is a good thing.
    The structural changes are likely to do with Force Touch and all the additional pressure that will be applied. Bendgate or no bendgate, Apple likely would've had to do the same thing.

It may not show but Apple basically had to redesign this phone.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

They don't need some stupid ass video to do that. They get data from their stores on returns. If some people were returning their phone because it bent some of those phones would have made their way back to Cupertino.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    rogifan wrote: »
    They don't need some stupid ass video to do that. They get data from their stores on returns. If some people were returning their phone because it bent some of those phones would have made their way back to Cupertino.

Taken. But sales sat back smiling with a nice drink in its hand anyway. :)
  • Reply 14 of 44
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

I'm not sure it pushed anything other than the troller's YouTube views and bank account up.

Common sense dictates that things bend and break when exerting the kind of pressure he using.

Apple only responded to prevent a PR nightmare.

Whether his actions prompted Apple to add increased strength is debatable. Consider that Apple is constantly looking into new materials and metals.

• Reply 15 of 44
    cali wrote: »
    Was there ever a Bengate media circus surrounding the highly bendable Sammy S6? You know, The one that bends and glass shatters at LESS force than the iPhone?

Did these youtube 5-minutes-of-famers even cover it?

No. Not a peep. The Androiders really circled the wagons to protect one of their own, LOL.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member

I'm sort of hoping for a LiquidMetal option at some point, mostly just because I think it would be cool--my 6 is holding up just fine, but does have a few scratches and shiny corners. An even better feature would be to waterproof the thing.

• Reply 17 of 44
    It's difficult to accurately compare when you don't know what the acceptable manufacturing tolerances are on each device.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

So, we're giving this guy credit for bullshitting Apple into "fixing" something that wasn't wrong in the first place?

I didn't think he had credibility then, so why would I credit him for "prodding" Apple now?

And the thing I'm most curious about:  how does he even have a real shell, for an as yet unannounced product?

Thought they weren't even starting assembly till later this month, so they probably exist, but again, how does he have it?

• Reply 19 of 44
    rogifan wrote: »
    Would they be using the same one as on the Watch?

Who knows?
  • Reply 20 of 44
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

So, we're giving this guy credit for bullshitting Apple into "fixing" something that wasn't wrong in the first place?

I didn't think he had credibility then, so why would I credit him for "prodding" Apple now?

And the thing I'm most curious about:  how does he even have a real shell, for an as yet unannounced product?

Thought they weren't even starting assembly till later this month, so they probably exist, but again, how does he have it?

I'm brutal with my iP6+.  It sees a lot of abuse when I place it in my front pocket and drive my motorbike.  I'm honestly surprised, and impressed that it has not bent/warped one bit for the year I've owned it.  I would expect any other phone to finally give up.  As far as I'm concerned, BendGate was just some fabricated BS by a bunch of iHaters.  What makes those trolls even more pathetic and hypocrites were their silence when the Samsung phones were shown to be even more bendable than Apple!   F**k them.