MacKeeper to pay out $2M in proposed class action settlement

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2015
The original developers of much maligned Mac security software MacKeeper have agreed to a $2 million settlement in a class action lawsuit over deceptive claims and false advertisement, with part of the sum set aside for customer refunds.

Under the proposed settlement, ZeoBIT, creators of MacKeeper that later sold the software to German firm Kromtech, will put up to $2 million in a fund to cover attorney fees, refunds and administrative costs, reports MacWorld. One-third is earmarked for lawyers, with a large chunk of the remainder to be meted out equally among claimants who purchased MacKeeper prior to July 8.

In all there some 513,000 U.S. customers in the settlement class, some of whom paid up to $39.95 per copy to license MacKeeper. Depending on the number of claims, customers could recoup original costs, but full refunds are not guaranteed. The company admits no fault as part of the settlement's terms.

MacKeeper is notorious for aggressively advertising its software and services through online ad agencies, though its new parent firm Kromtech is supposedly abandoning such tactics and has made efforts to cut down on "scare ads" pushed by affiliates. The software's validity is also a subject of debate as tests have shown it to sometimes return false positives in system scans.

Those eligible for compensation must visit the settlement website and submit a claim by Nov. 30 to receive payment.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    Thought I'd never here about them again since I put this in my hosts file years ago:

127.0.0.1 mackeeperapp.zeobit.com
    127.0.0.1 mackeeperapp.com
    127.0.0.1 mackeeperapp3.mackeeper.com

The fine is not enough, lock them all up.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

I can't believe over half a million people actually paid for that crap software. 

• Reply 3 of 33
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    They still run the scareware adverts. Scumbags.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Proof that ignorance is rampant, and companies like MacKeeper know how to capitalize on that ignorance.  What a sham of a company.

I'm surprised that many people purchased their garbage.  They should be shut down.

• Reply 5 of 33

$2M is a pathetic settlement:

Quote:

MacKeeper was wildly lucrative for ZeoBIT. As many as 650,000 consumers bought it in the U.S., according to documents filed in the suit. At $39.95 per copy, ZeoBIT would have made $26 million in revenue in the U.S. alone.

http://www.itworld.com/article/2919295/apple-security-program-mackeeper-celebrates-difficult-birthday.html

I wonder if CleanMyMac is next. ZeoBIT had a US presence though, not sure about MacPaw.

• Reply 6 of 33
    I paid for the damn software. :-(
    I'm more pissed at Apple for not producing or providing that type of software for MacOS. They leave their OS vulnerable to the Apple community; not even a virus protector. Shame on them
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ces69jen View Post

They leave their OS vulnerable to the Apple community; not even a virus protector. Shame on them

Wrong.

• Reply 8 of 33
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

Some people are unaware how Macs work and believe these ads. People think it's a Windows with an Apple logo. Everytime I see one of these scareware ads, I remember I'm on a Mac and then laugh.

Quote:

I'm more pissed at Apple for not producing or providing that type of software for MacOS. They leave their OS vulnerable to the Apple community; not even a virus protector. Shame on them

No wonder you paid for this program.

• Reply 9 of 33
    ds92jzds92jz Posts: 90member

If you need to install anti-virus software on your Mac, you're doing it wrong. 

• Reply 10 of 33
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    Quote:

Here's the problem with your thinking: Mac OS X does come with such protections, and unlike MacKeeper, Apple's implementations are legitimate and effective.

netrox
  • Reply 11 of 33
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member

i made the switch from virussoft to mac about 10 years ago. in 10 years i have not had one virus nor ad pop up. EVER. 

but as the comments above show, people are ignorant and if you switched form pc to mac, it just seems standard that you would want an antivirus software. muscle memory and bad experiences i guess. 

• Reply 12 of 33

Who really installed the malware as a vaccine? Half millions people did it? Wow. I have been using Avast for long time. It may not be the best but it does their job.  

• Reply 13 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MiddleGuy View Post

I have been using Avast for long time.

Avast's Mac product was always useless but its newest version installs adware.

Yet another sucker convinced beyond reason that Macs need such garbage. No wonder MacKeeper is so successful.

• Reply 14 of 33
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    My girlfriend's computer was infected with this virus. Her Mac was much faster once it was gone.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Quote:

great...let's blame Apple for your own ignorance.

You deserve whatever virus you get...but I guarantee it won't be your Mac that your itching.

• Reply 16 of 33
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    I see all the usual libertarian capitalists are silent.
  • Reply 17 of 33

great...let's blame Apple for your own ignorance.

You deserve whatever virus you get...but I guarantee it won't be your Mac that your itching.
    Your mother is a goat. And you don't know how many father you have.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    cali wrote: »
    No wonder you paid for this program.
    No computer is invulnerable. Point is I was trying to find a tool which the Mac didn't have useful. Don't be a jackass
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Quote:

Your mother is a goat. And you don't know how many father you have.

I can see the virus has already effected your mind. And your superior knowledge of english has tipped your hand. Need I say more? 

• Reply 20 of 33
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    Mac runs on OS Yosemite, which is free and if you keep it up to date you have nothing to fear. Remove bloat ware like adobe Flash and minimize on use of Java and you'll be ok add DNS protection from opendns and you're solid.