MacKeeper to pay out $2M in proposed class action settlement

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    ces69jen wrote: »
    No computer is invulnerable. Point is I was trying to find a tool which the Mac didn't have useful. Don't be a jackass

1) Strawman. No one is claiming that Macs are invulnerable. If you really do care about protecting your Mac the first rule you should adhere to is DO NOT INSTALL PROGRAMS UNLESS YOU ARE CERTAIN OF THEIR USE AND INTENT. You can help protect yourself by only making sure you only install signed apps and Mac App Store apps. This is not a guarantee of safety, but it's equivilant to making your child wear a helmet whilst riding their bike in the neighborhood. Installing any old app on the internet, especially one that forces your browser to open a new window to force itself upon you is equivalent to telling your child to take candy from strangers regardless of the rapiness of the van they pull up in.

2) Yes, it's absolutely ignorance on your part, but you need to learn from it, not get offended when the truth is presented or you will surely fall victim to it again. Did you read and understand [@]ECats[/@] comment? I also gave you some additional info about signed apps and the Mac App Store. All these things Apple has done to secure their Macs but it's all for naught if you let those in the door by installing apps that you haven't vetted. If you're in doubt, jump onto a forum like this one and start a new thread in the general forum. People will respond with opinions and advice. I did that recently to find out with Adobe design app I should install because I lack knowledge (read: ignorant) about such apps.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    I paid for the damn software. :-(
    I'm more pissed at Apple for not producing or providing that type of software for MacOS. They leave their OS vulnerable to the Apple community; not even a virus protector. Shame on them

what the **** are you talking about? seriously, can you explain this sentiment a bit further....?
  • Reply 23 of 33
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ces69jen View Post

I'm more pissed at Apple for not producing or providing that type of software for MacOS. They leave their OS vulnerable to the Apple community; not even a virus protector. Shame on them

Horse-shit. 

I've been using Macs for 10+ yrs, have probably been on millions of internet sites, installed thousands of pieces of software, and never ONCE got malware or a virus. You fail. 

• Reply 24 of 33
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member

So, is this only open to those in the US? My sister was stupid enough to pay for this crap without speaking to me, would love to get here a refund here in the UK.

• Reply 25 of 33
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    saarek wrote: »
    My sister was stupid enough to pay for this crap without speaking to me.

I think that's the worse. You offer your time to family and friends and you really mean to contact them about all computer concerns, especially about installing some unknown app, because you know that having to hear about how it messed up a system and then correcting stuff after all the damage has been done takes a lot more time and effort than fielding a quick question here and there, but noooo certain family and friends always let the worst happen and then contact you after it's too late.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member

Really need to remove the application from existence as it does nothing except attract malware and slow down your Mac. Absolutely useless program that just wastes space existing. 2 million is far to small a settlement for such crap.

• Reply 27 of 33
    They leave their OS vulnerable to the Apple community; not even a virus protector. Shame on them

I think you are eight or nine years old and your daddy runs a PC. May be this is the reason of your comment. I do understand you but most of us are adults with some experiences in life.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ces69jen View Post

Good news for you is that you can claim part of the settlement. Bad news is that you appear very likely to "reinvest" that money in other fake security products for OS X ... which is pretty much all of them.

• Reply 29 of 33
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Wait a minute - a $2 million dollar fund, with 1/3 going to attorneys' fees leaves $1.33 million dollars.

With 513,000 in the settlement class, that's $2.59 each. With some of the money going to "administrative costs", it's even less. Even assuming only 35% of the class fills out the paperwork and actually applies, that's still going to be only about $7 each. "Full refunds are not guaranteed" - you think?

• Reply 30 of 33
    cm477cm477 Posts: 99member

You can't call all the people who buy this software "stupid." The beauty of the Apple and Mac ecosystem is that you don't have to be some tech guru that spends his/her day on sites like AppleInsider to use it. My Dad got some pop-up saying that his browser didn't work, and to telephone some 'support" number to fix it. Fortunately he called me instead, but he didn't realize that the pop-up was a scam. These "software" makers thrive on the less tech savvy, just like typical con men.

• Reply 31 of 33
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I see all the usual libertarian capitalists are silent.

??? Libertarian capitalists are no fans of fraud. It's one of the legitimate exercises of government in libertarian philosophy.

• Reply 32 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

With 513,000 in the settlement class, that's $2.59 each. With some of the money going to "administrative costs", it's even less. Even assuming only 35% of the class fills out the paperwork and actually applies, that's still going to be only about $7 each.

The number of claimants is expected to be much, much less than 35% of those eligible. The sad fact is in cases such as this, only one or two percent of those eligible to claim a refund actually do so. It is more than likely that everyone actually filing a claim in this case will receive a full refund. 

If considerably more than 2% apply though, each of them will receive a proportionate amount less than a full refund.

It is certain that the attorneys will receive one-third of the $2M fund; that amount plus "administrative cost" is in the settlement agreement. 

• Reply 33 of 33
    focher wrote: »

Good news for you is that you can claim part of the settlement. Bad news is that you appear very likely to "reinvest" that money in other fake security products for OS X ... which is pretty much all of them.
    Not that there is an especially pressing need for them, but there are legitimate anti-virus apps for OS X. MacKeeper is not one of them; I'd be more willing to call it a form of malware.