Australia's Telstra offers free Apple Music subscription with new iPhone 6 plan

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2015
Australian cellular operator Telstra on Monday announced a new incentive plan that gives iPhone 6 and 6 Plus customers a one-year Apple Music subscription for free when they sign up for post paid Go Mobile services.

According to an advertisement on Telstra's website, the free Apple Music offer applies to new 12- or 24-month Go Mobile plans for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. The company notes data charges apply, meaning the offer covers only Apple fees, not contract bandwidth.

As noted by Gizmodo, it appears Telstra is instituting carrier billing for its Apple Music offer, as the terms and conditions specify customers will be charged once the trial period ends:
If you sign up and agree to T&Cs to put Apple Music on your Telstra account this will roll on to a paying subscription at the end of the trial / free period unless you cancel it. You will receive an SMS 3 days prior to rolling over to a paid subscription.
Since Apple Music launched in June, a number of carriers have adopted the streaming music service to incentivize their respective mobile plans. Last week, U.S. telco T-Mobile announced it would add Apple Music to its Music Freedom perk, which lets users stream content from various music services without it counting against their data allotments. Alongside Apple Music, Music Freedom supports Beatport, Pandora, Rdio, Spotify, Google Play Music, SoundCloud and SiriusXM.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    this is as a result of Telstra previously offering Beats Music subscriptions under their own labelling and having that service shut down by Apple / Beats
  • Reply 2 of 14
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    This actually nothing new, our mobile providers here have been offering Spotify for free for the last 2 years.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    relic wrote: »
    This actually nothing new, our mobile providers here have been offering Spotify for free for the last 2 years.

Over here in NL almost all ISP's give free access to Spotify Premium. I think I have it for about 4 years now.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    I believe it's also available to existing subscribers as well
  • Reply 5 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    What's the point if it metered? One and half gig per month subscription would last a few days at best.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    sleakajsleakaj Posts: 32member

Telstra is the most expensive of the main 3 telcos we have here. Optus is in 2nd place and Vodafone is in 3rd.

Co-incidentally, that's the same order as best to worst network coverage.

Telstra is also well regarded as the most reliable too, so it's kinda understandable.

• Reply 7 of 14

Telstra overcharges for everything, so you'll probably pay for the subscription somehow.  I wouldn't recommend them to anyone for internet or mobile service if cost is an issue.

• Reply 8 of 14
    subbiessubbies Posts: 71member
    sleakaj wrote: »
    Telstra is the most expensive of the main 3 telcos we have here. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Optus is in 2nd place and Vodafone is in 3rd.</span>

Co-incidentally, that's the same order as best to worst network coverage.

Telstra is also well regarded as the most reliable too, so it's kinda understandable.

Telstra doesn't have the best coverage at all. I have a work mobile with Telstra and it drops out all the time.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    subbiessubbies Posts: 71member
    gargravarr wrote: »
    Telstra overcharges for everything, so you'll probably pay for the subscription somehow.  I wouldn't recommend them to anyone for internet or mobile service if cost is an issue.
    I fully agree. They also have the worst customer service ever.
  • Reply 10 of 14

Here in New Zealand Telstra was bought out by Vodafone.

Aside from a few issues in rural areas with signal I find Vodafone to be the best service provider in New Zealand.

Spark can pour petrol on itself and use it's name to ignite said fuel to be honest. They might have slightly better service in rural areas but frankly that doesn't make up for the fact that their plans suck, their service sucks, and they suck.

• Reply 11 of 14
    sleakajsleakaj Posts: 32member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Subbies View Post

Telstra doesn't have the best coverage at all. I have a work mobile with Telstra and it drops out all the time.

There may well be blackspots in major cities where Telstra hasn't got the best coverage, but there are places out in the middle of nowhere where Telstra is the ONLY telco that provides a service.

If you compare the coverage of Telstra, Optus and Vodafone in Australia, Telstra has the largest and therefore the best coverage.

• Reply 12 of 14
    dagazdagaz Posts: 19member
    @djsherly

It is available to current post-paid contracts. If you follow the link at the top of the article (which I did this morning) you can add it for free to your existing contract.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Entropys View Post

What's the point if it metered? One and half gig per month subscription would last a few days at best.yeh?

They usually include the data for free for any streaming service that is included in the subscription. Otherwise it wouldn't be a logical purchase for those who have small data contracts. At least that is the way it is here in Switzerland. Actually mobile providers here now only offer unlimited data plans, what you pay for is speed, similar to your home internet contracts. Sunrise has a system where you get full LTE, 30Mbps for up to 10GB, than the connection is throttled down to 1 Mbps until the next month, the user is never charged if they go above 10GB. After all of these horror stories about people having to pay 1,000's of dollars for using to much data, Switzerland forced the mobile providers to come up with a reasonable solution.

• Reply 14 of 14
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    relic wrote: »
    ^ post

I have a 10GB LTE data plan, costs € 44 a month. Call/SMS is unlimited. Telco's seem to focus on pricing their data plans right. I think there will come a day that old school voice infra will disappear, and VoIP takes over.