Study: Apple's lead in enterprise mobility threatened as iPad's tablet share plummets

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2015
Apple's dominance in the enterprise mobility marketplace waned during the second quarter on a precipitous drop in tablet marketshare, the balance of which went to devices running Android and Windows, according to mobility solutions firm Good Technology.

In its most recent Mobility Index Report for the second quarter of 2015, Good found iOS accounted for 64 percent of all device activations on its network, down from 70 percent last quarter. Taking advantage of the situation was Android, which saw its marketshare jump from 26 percent to 32 percent over the same period.

Data suggests the shift is due in large part to a dramatic erosion of iPad's sector influence. Apple's tablet has for the last year been enterprise's go-to device, taking anywhere from 80 to 90 percent of activations per quarter, but that lead is being threatened by Android and Windows. Non-iOS platforms saw substantial gains as more businesses turn to slates as laptop replacements. Android share grew from 15 percent to 25 percent during quarter two, while Windows jumped from 4 percent to 11 percent over the same period.

In what could be framed as a bid to bolster enterprise marketshare, Apple is said to be working on a 12.9-inch iPad model, dubbed "iPad Pro," that some predict will be marketed toward business customers. With more screen real estate, users would be able run point of sale systems, enterprise-centric apps or jot down notes with a rumored Apple-branded stylus. In addition, the upcoming iOS 9 sports a number of iPad-only features that mimic desktop operation, such as split-screen multitasking, picture-in-picture video, a revamped soft keyboard and customizable keyboard shortcuts.

On a sector-by-sector basis, Apple's iOS continued to lead in regulated industries, taking 79 percent of public sector, 70 percent of healthcare, 65 percent of insurance and 63 percent of financial activations. Education was another strong point this past quarter, with Apple products accounting for 76 percent of all activated devices.

Android gained ground in a few categories and surpasses iOS for the first time in high-tech with a 53-percent marketshare. Google's platform also saw an uptick in energy and manufacturing, where its marketshare reached 48 percent and 42 percent, respectively.

Good Technology aggregated activation data from its global customer base of more than 6,200 organizations for its most recent study. The report notes BlackBerry products are not accounted for, as those devices operate solely on the company's closed Enterprise Server.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member

I think a lot will be about stronger app development. If the tablets are primarily being used as a lighter, cheaper replacement for a laptop (email, browsing the web...), then cheaper alternatives will make sense. But if there is better app development either company specific or for verticals, the benefit of the iOS platform will become more clear.

I use a lot more apps on my iPhone than my iPad, especially when it comes to web content. On a smartphone, browsing the web is no great experience, so using purpose built apps is common. But on an iPad, the web browsing experience is largely the same as using a laptop or desktop, so I find I am not using purpose built apps nearly as much for web based content.

Im sure this is what the IBM partnership is all about, and I would expect that Apple is working with larger corporations to kick start internal development for custom, secure apps.

• Reply 2 of 36
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,948member
    I'm sure Apple is shaking in their NewBalances
  • Reply 3 of 36
    This is concerning, considering that Apple only has enough money in the bank to run for the next twenty years or so without making a single dollar...
  • Reply 4 of 36
    qvakqvak Posts: 86member

If true this has nothing to do with ecosystem and everything to do with price point.

SURE these devices are best in class with great hardware, software and battery life.

But here, have this 50$ shit-droid tabled with a resistive touchscreen. Just as good, right?

• Reply 5 of 36
    I don't think activations are that important, and at this point the install base Apple has makes this changes rather insignificant.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by qvak View Post

If true this has nothing to do with ecosystem and everything to do with price point.

SURE these devices are best in class with great hardware, software and battery life.

But here, have this 50$ shit-droid tabled with a resistive touchscreen. Just as good, right?

But there are good 200$ to 300$ Android tablets on the market that have a better price/quality ratio than the iPad and that have all the necessary features.  In a cost competitive business environment this is enough to decide for the cheaper solution

• Reply 7 of 36
    appexappex Posts: 687member

Apple should develop a real tablet computer: Mac tablet. Because iOS is a toy.

• Reply 8 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    appex wrote: »
    Apple should develop a real tablet computer: Mac tablet. Because iOS is a toy.

Blocked.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    [B][SIZE=5][COLOR=blue]Study:[/COLOR] Apple's lead in enterprise mobility threatened as tablet share [COLOR=blue]plummets[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Mmm ... It might be more meaningful to show the actual study -- rather than cherry-pick data to support a subjective claim.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    Every time I hear the words Apple and market share in the same sentence, I want to vomit.

Apple doesn't prioritize having X% of market share, so its performance cannot be judged by this metric.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    qvakqvak Posts: 86member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cropr View Post

But there are good 200$ to 300$ Android tablets on the market that have a better price/quality ratio than the iPad and that have all the necessary features.  In a cost competitive business environment this is enough to decide for the cheaper solution

Except they don't. With android come increased security concerns and support costs, generally less well-developed apps, etc.

But I have never known any corporation to buy any equipment that isn't at the bare minimum of specifications. Some companies are still rolling on windows XP. Their big migration plan now that windows 10 is out? Windows 7, office 2010 and IE8.

Every company I have worked for has been penny-wise, pound foolish. One instance, the old 24" CRT monitors were EOL and the leasing company was all set to upgrade them with 24" LCDs for the same monthly cost.

Well some IT dipshit decided to save 100$/unit and downgrade to 17" LCDs. Good enough, right?

I don't advocate dumping cash left and right, but shit-tier equipment will get you shit-tier results.

• Reply 12 of 36
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cropr View Post

Cheaper yes, and at $300 shouldn't be too bad in performance.  Would like to see some links to backup claims of quality though.  There are now years of evidence that iPads last very well - and this is cited by many as reasons for the slow upgrade cycle.  Where is the evidence that lower priced Android tablets are better quality?

As is often the case, I would expect the TCO (total cost of ownership) of iPad/iOS over 5 years, to be better than any competition.  The build quality, Apple Care support, customer support, software longevity (iOS8 running on iPad2 as example), software updates, security updates.  Plus application support.

Lots of history to see that many companies make purchasing decisions on the initial cost only though.

• Reply 13 of 36
    Quote:

Except they don't. With android come increased security concerns and support costs, generally less well-developed apps, etc.

I agree with you that Android is sure less secure than Apple.

But 99% of all business related apps are developed for both Android and iOS.  I still have to see the first business related  app on iOS that is absolutely great (so Apple Numbers does not qualify) and that is not available on Android

• Reply 14 of 36
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    iPad shelf life is far, far longer than some folks expected. It's actually testament to how great a device it is.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brucemc View Post

Cheaper yes, and at $300 shouldn't be too bad in performance.  Would like to see some links to backup claims of quality though.  There are now years of evidence that iPads last very well - and this is cited by many as reasons for the slow upgrade cycle.  Where is the evidence that lower priced Android tablets are better quality?

As is often the case, I would expect the TCO (total cost of ownership) of iPad/iOS over 5 years, to be better than any competition.  The build quality, Apple Care support, customer support, software longevity (iOS8 running on iPad2 as example), software updates, security updates.  Plus application support.

Lots of history to see that many companies make purchasing decisions on the initial cost only though.

If one buys an Android tablet, one has to take much care about build quality.  All iPads have great build quality, but only a limited number of Android devices score on that point quite well.  So yes you are probably right on this point.

But I think 5 years is too long for TCO calculations.  The orginal iPad is 5 years old and in terms of performance, storage capacity and iOS support, it is really outdated.  On the other hand my 4 year old iPad2 is still alive, as is my original Nexus 7 from 2012.

That lots of companies make purchasing decision on the initial cost is quite logical.  You have to survive in the short term before you can survive in the long term

• Reply 16 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

iPad shelf life is far, far longer than some folks expected. It's actually testament to how great a device it is.

Yes, but sometimes the upgrade was not really appealing like the upgrade from the iPad mini2 to the mini3. 

• Reply 17 of 36

@cropr  

"Yes, but sometimes the upgrade was not really appealing like the upgrade from the iPad mini2 to the mini3."

Not sure how this is relevant. The article refers to the last quarter. Most people who want a new iPad are pretty sure new ones are coming in the Fall. No reason to buy currently. 

• Reply 18 of 36
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Good Reader is perhaps the definitive app for enterprise functionality; you can access SAMBA shares, ftp/sftp, mail, dropbox, webdav... and mark up PDFs, view photos, etc. I wish Apple would buy them and really market the product, because people just don't understand what it can do; it is effectively the app that defines use of a tablet over a more clunky device.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member
    This data is not completely relevant. First of all, not all enterprises use Good tech. Far from it. Second, companies using Android devices need Good much more due to security concerns
  • Reply 20 of 36
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    cropr wrote: »

What absolute bullshit. Name one $200 - 300 tablet that has a "better" price/quality ratio? Quality also encompasses security, OS, support, ease of use, build quality, resale value, ecosystem etc. etc. etc. the ONLY issue is price, and as seen by the markets where iPad dominates, those in general are the most important markets. The fact that Android has such a high market share in the tech sector says more about OS philosophy than anything else. Lastly, one quarter does not a market make. Stay tuned.