Rumor: Apple to launch three new iPhones concurrently: '6s,' '6s Plus' and '6c'

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2015
While a new "iPhone 6s" series is widely expected to be unveiled next month, rumors of a so-called "iPhone 6c" have been less certain. But one rumor published on Tuesday claims that a new, colorful iPhone lineup will indeed launch alongside the latest flagship models.

"Sounds like iPhone 6s, 6s Plus, and 6c will all arrive concurrently," Evan Blass wrote on his @evleaks Twitter account. Blass has been the source of numerous accurate leaks in the past.

Apple is expected to hold a media event on Sept. 9 to unveil its latest iPhone lineup. The company's flagship "iPhone 6s" and "iPhone 6s Plus" are expected to feature Force Touch input, allowing for new ways of interacting with the devices, much like on the Apple Watch.

The current iPhone 5c lineup was introduced in 2013, but was not updated last year. Instead, the iPhone 5s moved down to the $100-on-contract space, while the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus sported entirely new designs.

It's been speculated that Apple might be interested in repackaging the iPhone 6 parts into a tweaked, more colorful design, allowing the "iPhone 6s" series to stand alone. It's expected -- and leaked parts have affirmed --?that the "iPhone 6s" will feature largely the same external design as the iPhone 6.

If Apple were to repackage the iPhone 6 with new colors, it would be the same approach the company employed in 2013, when the iPhone 5c was essentially a previous-generation iPhone 5 with a new plastic back. That allowed Apple to differentiate it from the then-flagship iPhone 5s --?which featured an external design almost identical to the iPhone 5.

Still uncertain: Exactly what screen size and form factor a new "iPhone 6c" might sport.

Apple updated its long-ignored iPod touch last month with the same 64-bit A8 processor found in the current iPhone 6 lineup, and sporting an aluminum case in six colors. That helped fuel speculation that the iPod touch was foreshadowing a new "iPhone 6c" with the same 4-inch form factor and six color options.

If that turns out to be the case, Apple's fall 2015 iPhone lineup would feature a 5.5-inch "6s Plus" starting at $299, a 4.7-inch "6s" starting at $199, an aluminum 4-inch "6c" in a range of colors for $99, and the 4-inch iPhone 5s available for free on contract.

An aluminum back, rather than the plastic found on the iPhone 5c, might add a more premium feel to a so-called "iPhone 6c."

Supply chain rumors have been split on the prospects of a new 4-inch iPhone, with some claiming that such a device is in the works for this fall, while others allege there has been little evidence of an impending launch. While multiple "iPhone 6s" parts have leaked in recent weeks, there have been no such components seen for a new 4-inch handset.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    If there is to be a 6c it would seem as if it would not be a 4.7" variant. That'd be a lot of unapologetic plastic. Then again – with screen size being a major differentiator to being called an iPhone 6 – would a 4 inch "iPhone 6c" carry an odd name? Or would this be the new plan to keep a 4 inch phone around? Only build them every other year during the 's' phase. It is very much influx what size this potential phone would have.
  • Reply 2 of 66
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Like I've been saying for months:

No way in hell is Apple going to sell the 6 at a $100 discount in Sept.

They will not risk canibalizing the 6S with a cheaper 6.
    rumor...cough cough....I see a big BS in this prediction. There should be a leak already for aluminum color case. I can see no 6 or 6+ but not both.
  • Reply 3 of 66
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    The 5S is most likely going to be transferred into the 5c plastic case, making a big distinction between "free" and "$99". I'm not convinced there will be a 4" 6c, but having an iPod Touch styled design could work, especially if they leave out force touch and other improvements to offset development costs. That sets them up for the "5c" model and it keeps the larger screen format out of the lower end for another year, thus making those who want a bigger screen pay for it. But it won't be plastic.
  • Reply 4 of 66
    If there is to be a 6c it would seem as if it would not be a 4.7" variant. That'd be a lot of unapologetic plastic. Then again – with screen size being a major differentiator to being called an iPhone 6 – would a 4 inch "iPhone 6c" carry an odd name? Or would this be the new plan to keep a 4 inch phone around? Only build them every other year during the 's' phase. It is very much influx what size this potential phone would have.
    at $99 subsidized or $549, this 6C must be 4" in new design with curved edge and current 6 gut. If it's 4.7", it will canibalize 6S for sure. btw, new color phone "c" in mid term refresh is brilliant. It brings some excitement during "S" release.
  • Reply 5 of 66
    mac_128 wrote: »
    The 5S is most likely going to be transferred into the 5c plastic case, making a big distinction between "free" and "$99". I'm not convinced there will be a 4" 6c, but having an iPod Touch styled design could work, especially if they leave out force touch and other improvements to offset development costs. That sets them up for the "5c" model and it keeps the larger screen format out of the lower end for another year, thus making those who want a bigger screen pay for it. But it won't be plastic.
    look like no rebadge at all meaning 5S stays as it is while 5c is going away and replaced by metal 6c. So, 6c if true will have new design of 6 series and last year components or in short, 4" iPhone 6 in color.
  • Reply 6 of 66
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    sog35 wrote: »

You've been saying what? Stating a personal feeling as fact which you've now confirmed as accurate using a rumor as evidence?

And yet for most for most iPhones have last year's model being sold as a cheaper option. They've even done that with 2 year old models, and repackaged year old models with a plastic casing, as seen with the 5C. So why don't you think they will have an iPhone 6 or 6C on sale along with the 6S even though you also stated you've benign it will happen for months?
  • Reply 7 of 66
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Where's that completely rubberized model we've been expecting? ????
  • Reply 8 of 66
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 257member

I would rather have a smaller version (than the 6) with all the premium goods, even if it's at the same price.  I guess that's un-American to say in the land of bigger is better.  ;) 

• Reply 9 of 66
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    There's no way Apple is going to push the aluminum and glass 5S to the lowest tier and then replace the mid tier with colored plastic. So either we get a iPod touch style 6C or we get an updated plastic phone for the low end and the 6 gets discounted.
  • Reply 10 of 66
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I think the lineup is more likely to be:
    - 6s Plus, $299 on contract
    - 6s, $199 on contract
    - 6, $99 on contract
    - 6c, free on contract

... with the 5s continued only in an 8GB model for developing markets like India and Brazil.
  • Reply 11 of 66
    rogifan wrote: »
    There's no way Apple is going to push the aluminum and glass 5S to the lowest tier and then replace the mid tier with colored plastic. So either we get a iPod touch style 6C or we get an updated plastic phone for the low end and the 6 gets discounted.
    read the article. It says 6c in metal aka new iPod Touch with cellular and gps in mid tier $99.
  • Reply 12 of 66
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member
    Well, only way I'm upgrading this fall is if there is a 4" phone with better hardware than the 5S.
  • Reply 13 of 66
    mcarling wrote: »
    - 6s, $199 on contract
    - 6, $99 on contract
    - 6c, free on contract

... with the 5s continued only in an 8GB model for developing markets like India and Brazil.
    hell no. Metal 4" color phone is too good at lower tier where 5S belongs.
    - 6 and 4" 6c will both be at $99 tier, same internal gut while screen size offset by colors.
  • Reply 14 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Apple most definitely would drop the price and not worry about cannibalizing iPhone 6S sales because selling an iPhone is selling an iPhone.

A lot of people upgrade to the latest and greatest iPhone just to be able to parade it around to family and friends and co-workers and everybody else that they have the latest and greatest iPhone. I am one of those people. ;)

I know the iPhone 6C is a rumor at this point, but did Ming Kuo announce the iPhone 6C would not be released until next year? Having him burned a few more times would hopefully stop AI from stating how "well connected" he is.

• Reply 15 of 66
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Unless it had a 4" screen which is entirely plausible. It would not cannibalize 6S sales, but it would capture the old 5s sales and would allow them to kill the 5c which lacks Touch ID and therefore no Apple Pay.

• Reply 16 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

Apple most definitely would drop the price and not worry about cannibalizing iPhone 6S sales because selling an iPhone is selling an iPhone.

A lot of people upgrade to the latest and greatest iPhone just to be able to parade it around to family and friends and co-workers and everybody else that they have the latest and greatest iPhone. I am one of those people. ;)

I know the iPhone 6C is a rumor at this point, but did Ming Kuo announce the iPhone 6C would not be released until next year? Having him burned a few more times would hopefully stop AI from stating how "well connected" he is.

You may not have noticed, but he has not been "well-connected" for a couple of weeks now.

• Reply 17 of 66
    f1turbo wrote: »
    I would rather have a smaller version (than the 6) with all the premium goods, even if it's at the same price.  I guess that's un-American to say in the land of bigger is better.  ;)  

Asia is where phablets went crazy popular.
  • Reply 18 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

- 6s, $199 on contract

- 6, $99 on contract

- 6c, free on contract

Makes sense only if your 6c is a 4" screen.

• Reply 19 of 66
    f1turbo wrote: »
    only you will pay the same price for a smaller version of the same phone, not those with sense. You'll get the 4" of all premium goods...well from last year. Tell you what...most people don't even use the phone at even 50% capability. Why ask for latest components? This is the reason to get new 1st year design instead of "S" version of the phone: you don't use much of the phone capacity but the bling of it only.
  • Reply 20 of 66
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

Makes sense only if your 6c is a 4" screen.

I hope and expect that the 6c will have a 4" screen.  In my opinion, the big hole in the current iPhone line is the lack of a 4" iPhone that supports Apple Pay.