iOS 9 poised to be 'game changer' as ad blocking already costs publishers $22B yearly

Comments

• Reply 21 of 95
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Any tactic that cuts off Google's air supply is double-plus good.
  • Reply 22 of 95
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by cali View Post

I know some ads can be annoying but how are people supposed to support themselves now??

Prostitution?

Originally Posted by cali View Post

Everyone wants everything for free now. But don't DARE ask them for a teaspoon of sugar.

I want my iPhones to all be free.  I know they won't be free.

At least they will be hitting me with fewer ads.

• Reply 23 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

So you make an app and do iAds right? Isn't that what Apple is getting at (besides going for Google's throat)?

Yup... also with the news app, Apple could make a lot more with their advertising business.

• Reply 24 of 95
    aybaraaybara Posts: 45member

I applaud this as the bulk of my surfing via phone is while connected to the data-capped cellular network.  Every ad I have to see/download/watch on my smartphone is eating away at the limited data I can already consume.  I'll watch your ad, but you need to pay me for the data you just used.

• Reply 25 of 95
    krreagankrreagan Posts: 218member
    The advertisers and ad companies brought it on themselves!

I really don't mind small non-obtrusive ads that convey information without screaming at you. The ones I hate are the obnoxious ones that come up and make you close them after a time period has expired, or worse put up a fake [x] (or so small that you cannot possibly hit it) that redirects you to their website. These are the ones that I specifically avoid the advertisers! They drag down your browsing experience to the point it sucks rocks!

Thanks to Apple the online mobile experience might be improving.
  • Reply 26 of 95
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sog35 wrote: »
    The hell with that.

If you have a good product you don't need to depend on ads.
    Then why does Apple advertise everywhere from TV to Youtube? Apparently they don't share your view. Or is "depend on " the qualifier which wouldn't apply to many big advertisers whose products are already fairly well known. Yet they still advertise them.

The ones with the biggest concerns are probably some of the website operators.
  • Reply 27 of 95
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    To the best of my memory, I have never clicked one of these ads on purpose. They irritate me, and seriously harm the user experience on the site.

I know it's been tried before, but I would much rather pay a yearly fee that results in zero ads on ALL sites from my perspective. Although even the idea of a yearly fee annoys me somewhat, as it's like paying a ransom in order to be able to enjoy site content. Still, I recognize that these sites have to make a living somehow.

What boggles my mind are the sites that say, "We see you have an ad-blocker enabled. Won't you please disable it so we can make some cash?" It seems that they are addressing this message to those that have gotten so fed up with ads that they went out and found/installed an ad-blocker, and are now being asked to "please let us destroy your user experience and pop some ads up in your face so you might accidentally click on them while trying to close them."

When everybody except the advertisers hate the ads, it's time to find a new way to support the sites.

I finally deleted iMore from my Favorites bookmarks because their ads are SO out-of-control. They say, "we can't help it! It's all the fault of the evil advertising companies" even though their site is ten-times worse than all other sites.
  • Reply 28 of 95
    cornchip wrote: »
    So you make an app and do iAds right? Isn't that what Apple is getting at (besides going for Google's throat)?

This and News App.
  • Reply 29 of 95
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    roake wrote: »
    To the best of my memory, I have never clicked one of these ads on purpose. They irritate me, and seriously harm the user experience on the site.

I know it's been tried before, but I would much rather pay a yearly fee that results in zero ads on ALL sites from my perspective.

Google Contributor perhaps as a start....
    https://www.google.com/contributor/welcome/
  • Reply 30 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

I hope this includes those redirects to the App Store. That is the absolute worst.

On many of those ads with FORCED re-directs to the App store I do indeed download the app, and rate it one star with a bad review (detailing why) then promptly delete it. 

• Reply 31 of 95
    I'm not seeing the down side of the ad blockers. I get 40 to 100 junk mails every day and I have as yet found a way to block all of those. It would be a major breakthrough to kill all of them on my Safari Browser.
  • Reply 32 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

My policy on Mac, which I hope to replicate with iOS, is not a universal ad block that kills the paychecks behind content I want, but more targeted:

- Block ads except from sites I frequent (gotta keep AI and others financially possible; I make this "whitelist" generously large, and a couple times a year make sure I add to it)

- Block CERTAIN ads (popups/overs/unders when possible, click-bait like Taboola that pretends not to be ads) on ALL sites

- Block all trackers (including Facebook, and not being logged into Google)

So, a site I visit enough to matter, that doesn't use those worst tactics, gets full revenue from me (and occasionally I have a day where I make a point of actually clicking some ads on my favorite sites). A site I frequent that does use those tactics still gets something from my visits (assuming they have "normal" ads too).

Pretty much the same here.  I am fine with minimal advertising.  I even go to some ads.  One per page please with no motion. 

• Reply 33 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

I hope this includes those redirects to the App Store. That is the absolute worst.

I haven't seen a single one on iOS 9 thusfar.

• Reply 34 of 95
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

I installed Adblock on my all my Idevices and just on my phone in one month it blocked 1000's of ads and saved about 500MB of data from being transfer to my phone and I am not the largest user of data and apps in my family. These ads cost you more than time and display real estate, it cuts in to your data plans.

On my home computers I have been blocking ads for a long time, I even got Google analytics completely blocked at my firewall. Most all of google's ad websites and IP address are treated as a virus in my house. You would be surprised at the information flowing back and forth from your computers to google based IP addresses.

Recently I been running into website which know your blocking ads and google data mining services and they will not display information on their website unless you allow the ads. Websites are fighting back on the blocking.

For those who are old enough to remember ads today have gotten so bad it like the old banner ad days with the ads flashing on your browers screen and would not go away until you clicked on it. it the pop-up window with no close button so you could not make the window go away. Believe it or not Google change this all by making things simpler and none intrusive. But they are not the problem which they help fixed.

• Reply 35 of 95
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

As I am not using Ad-blocking on desktop Safari yet, can anyone recommend the best extension(s)?

Thanks

• Reply 36 of 95
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

One check box...."Block Google" :D

• Reply 37 of 95
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

I know some ads can be annoying but how are people supposed to support themselves now??

Everyone wants everything for free now. But don't DARE ask them for a teaspoon of sugar.

Have you seen the numbers on the amount of download data generated by ads and data trackers (not separate issues, btw)?

A 700k web page can weigh in at over 10 meg, not to mention traffic generated by the accompanying JavaScript 'phoning home'.

This amounts to the advertising stealing from ME in the form of overage charges from my carrier. (And its increased greatly over the past few years.)

I'll take care of my own pocket book first, thank you. Advertisers have to back off. They've gone way past obnoxious.

• Reply 38 of 95
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Can't wait to read the web version of AI on my iPad without the ads (which, of late, seems to crash Safari on the iPad again and again).

I think it'll just translate into more ads dressed up as stories. Obviously they'll want to maintain their income level to cover costs and pay salaries. I know that Rene Ritchie at iMore is struggling with this dilemma.
  • Reply 39 of 95
    At the end of the day, this isn't hurting Google, this hurts the publishers of the websites that people browse for free (like AppleInsider). When an adblocker blocks an ad, that javascript/HTML5 never loads, and the advertiser (say Home Depot) doesn't register the impression. That means that they don't pay the site (whether it's on a CPM or CPC) for that ad, and the PUBLISHER gets robbed of that ad revenue. For many, this is their only revenue stream and ultimately hinders their ability to create content that the person using adblockers is consuming now for free. This lack of revenue model is what hurt the newspapers, and could pose a threat to online publishing as well.

My take is that ads (and we're talking non-pop up here) are what allow you as the reader to consume internet content for free. Think about a scenario where every site had a paywall for the content you read. Consider that and the publishers before installing an adblocker for what is a minor inconvenience for you.

Full disclosure: I work for an online marketing agency, and directly buy ads on sites. This doesn't effect my opinion of how online publishers deserve to be paid for the content they create.
  • Reply 40 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Thank goodness.

I hate ads.  The scourge of the internet.

I'm with you on that. Thank you Apple.