Apple expands Maps Flyover coverage to 20 cities in Europe, Japan and more

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2015
Apple on Tuesday updated its Maps Flyover availability webpage to reflect the addition of 21 cities including multiple destinations in France and a handful of sites in Mexico, among others.

The Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial in France.

The additions come as part of an ongoing project to build out Apple's mapping service, which boasts 3D Flyover views as a standout feature in comparison to competing offerings like Google Maps.
  • Aarhus, Denmark
  • Bobbio, Italy
  • Budapest, Hungary
  • C?diz, Spain
  • Chenonceaux, France
  • Dijon, France
  • Ensenada, Mexico
  • Gothenburg, Sweden
  • Graz, Austria
  • Loreto, Mexico
  • Malm?, Sweden
  • Mayag?ez, Puerto Rico
  • Millau, France
  • Nice, France
  • Omaha Beach
  • Rapid City, SD
  • Rotterdam, Netherlands
  • Sapporo, Japan
  • Strasbourg, France
  • Turin, Italy
For its Flyover technology, Apple merges high-resolution aerial imagery with three-dimensional digital modeling to provide users with 3D visualizations of structures, landmarks and other points of interest. The view is also incorporated into Flyover city tours, which are available for highly trafficked locales and tourist destinations.

Aside from Flyover, Apple is slowly introducing new features to its in-house mapping solution, one of the more recent highlights being transit directions in iOS 9. In February, Apple revealed a ground-based initiative that uses vans to collect what appears to be image and positioning data, hinting at a potential Google Street View competitor.

Apple last updated Flyover in June with the addition of seven cities in Spain, Germany, UK and Puerto Rico.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Cue the pointless flyover sucks comments.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

How about Ferguson?

• Reply 3 of 14
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    I wonder if they're going roughly on size or what. how long will it take to get to the cities With populations of 100,000?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    stourquestourque Posts: 364member
    I would just like to get a satellite image of my house that wasn't covered in clouds.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    cornchip wrote: »
    I wonder if they're going roughly on size or what. how long will it take to get to the cities With populations of 100,000?

More like how long will it STILL take them to get to the cities with populations of 1,000,000+ like Amsterdam, Netherlands, Brussels, Belgium, Prague, Czech Republic, Vienna, Austria, Philadelphia, PA and other big cities like D.C., Los Angeles, CA, San Diego, CA, Miami, FL, Orlando, FL, Dallas, TX, Houston, TX,... I mean how many more people are likely to check out LA, DC or Miami than Somewhere, Puerto Rico?!
  • Reply 6 of 14

Many of the cities you listed DO have Flyover. Such as LA, San Diego etc.

• Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guiguihip View Post

More like how long will it STILL take them to get to the cities with populations of 1,000,000+ like Amsterdam, Netherlands, Brussels, Belgium, Prague, Czech Republic, Vienna, Austria, Philadelphia, PA and other big cities like D.C., Los Angeles, CA, San Diego, CA, Miami, FL, Orlando, FL, Dallas, TX, Houston, TX,... I mean how many more people are likely to check out LA, DC or Miami than Somewhere, Puerto Rico?!

Not true. Many of the cities you listed DO have Flyover. Such as LA, San Diego etc.

• Reply 8 of 14
    smiffy31smiffy31 Posts: 202member
    Have you thought about authorization ? Low flying a plane/drone over cities probably requires a certain amount of negotiation.
  • Reply 9 of 14

What is flyover used for in a practical application?  I am from an area with little population so would have no need for it but I am very curious what people are using it for...I can assume for navigation related things such as becoming familiar with an area...Open to thoughts.

• Reply 10 of 14
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smiffy31 View Post

Have you thought about authorization ? Low flying a plane/drone over cities probably requires a certain amount of negotiation.

Not sure if you were responding to me, but yes, I remember seeing somewhere that airspace logistics were a hurdle which can vary in difficulty getting over by location.

• Reply 11 of 14
    I think it would be more useful if Apple would update the regular satellite maps in their program and work on getting the other information up to date. So much of it is 3-5 years out of date. You can't actually rely on anything you see.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

Not sure if you were responding to me, but yes, I remember seeing somewhere that airspace logistics were a hurdle which can vary in difficulty getting over by location.

No, sorry i was not clear it was not you but guiguihip ranting about who wants to see ... I would imagine some BIG cities are the hardest.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    leesmithleesmith Posts: 121member
    Send those planes to Ohio! Cincinnati and Columbus need some love.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Hey, Don't forget Cleveland