Web traffic points to slow but steady Apple Watch interest, UBS says

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited August 2015
As gauged by Web search traffic, interest in the Apple Watch has diminished considerably since the launch of the product in April but in a relatively smooth fashion, analysts with international financial firm UBS hinted on Tuesday.

Interest is reportedly lower than that seen with previous Apple products, and more closely mirrors the patterns of devices like the Nintendo 3DS, Kindle Fire, and Nexus One -- but it has declined slower than with some other Apple devices, UBS commented. The firm added that it thought expanded retail presence in June might have lead to less online activity, but that doesn't appear to have been the case.

Search queries have dropped by at least 60 percent in most countries, UBS claimed. The strongest traffic is based in the U.S., Canada, Hong Kong, and the UK, but is described as "quite weak" in Japan relative to the high popularity of the iPhone in that country.

At least some decline is expected after any launch however, and there is no direct relationship between Web searches and popular demand.

UBS estimates suggest that Apple sold 2.2 million Watches in the June quarter, and are calling for only 20 million in Apple's 2016 fiscal year, about half its original forecast. The firm was among a number that anticipated higher sales, and there has been wide disagreement about the June quarter -- Canalys, for instance, has claimed that shipments hit 4.2 million.

Apple has been mum on exact figures, only indicating that the Watch outsold first-generation iPhones and iPads in comparable early timeframes, and that June Watch sales surpassed those in April or May.

Even if interest has fallen, "a slow start does not mean the Watch can't be a success as native apps are created and more functionality added over time," UBS elaborated.

Apple is due to release watchOS 2 sometime this fall. Native app support will be the headlining feature, fixing the slow speeds of some apps that can often make it simpler to pull out an iPhone than check a Watch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

How does UBS get search stats for ?Watch?

• Reply 2 of 42
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Uh, to be expected, since Apple Watch is not in the news like it used to be. It will spike again once the push it during the holidays, and OS2 is released.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    This is the first product in the 20 years that I have been an Apple customer which I have no interest in purchasing. I pre-ordered one the first week after 6 weeks of waiting Apple offered the option to make an appointment at one of their retails stores so that's what I did. The Apple Watch seemed off to me immediately, it seemed too big, not heavy physically but clunky and possibly the nerdiest looking product with an Apple logo. The black glass face was not helping and it reinforced impression you were wearing a small black box on your wrist. The sales person was surprised I was not smiling. I had looked at the videos on Apple's website so I was aware of what was possible and yes I realize this is a 1.0 product but still my overall impression after a few minutes was "why do I need this?". A year from now perhaps the Apple Watch will become more than just an accessory to the what it is now to me, the iPhone. I am a die hard Apple product fan, not a troll but I suspect many people have had similar experiences and like me are in a wait and see mode.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    They'll be very very wrong... as usual. They should have stuck with their initial assessment.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sog35 wrote: »
    ONLY 20,000,000

Seriously WTF.

What were they smoking thinking they would sell 40,000,000 in the first year
    ...20M in 2016, not 2015.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    Why does one want an AppleWatch? That is the question, everyones question. There is plenty other things people can do with thier money.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Glasses Man View Post

Why does one want an AppleWatch? That is the question, everyones question. There is plenty other things people can do with thier money.

About 4-5M people have already answered this question... Handle your money and we'll handle ours...

• Reply 8 of 42
    chiachia Posts: 713member

Why do you want to post responses to Appleinsider stories? That is the question, your question. There are plenty of other things you can do with your time.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    chia wrote: »
    Why do you want to post responses to Appleinsider stories? That is the question, your question. There are plenty of other things you can do with your time.
    Awesome!
    I'm not worrying why, I love mine...
  • Reply 10 of 42
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Again, is it Apple's fault analysts were wrong? The real question is why do people keep listening to these morons.

Interesting the watch compares closely to the 3DS, kindle fire and nexus. I don't recall articles declaring those products failures or the companies are doomed.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    This just in from the department of meaningless numbers
  • Reply 12 of 42
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

welcome to the Internet, son.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    there is no direct relationship between Web searches and popular demand.

Of course there is, let's not lie to ourselves. If people are interested, they search. If they aren't interested, they won't buy. Simple as that.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As gauged by Web search traffic, interest in the Apple Watch has diminished considerably since the launch of the product in April but in a relatively smooth fashion, analysts with international financial firm UBS hinted on Tuesday.

"UBS Claims that ?Watch sales are 'Smooth'"!

• Reply 15 of 42
    fearlessfearless Posts: 138member

Yep they should be "Spiky", like Apple's share price this week. Why?

Anyhow, very happy with mine.

• Reply 16 of 42

I shared my Apple Watch experience earlier, I was interested enough to order one but after spending some time with one at the Apple retail store, I immediately cancelled my order. I am not saying this is a bad product or that it won't sell millions or that there are not millions of happy Apple Watch owners already. What I am saying is this product will be not much more than an accessory product for those with an iPhone and not a "halo" product which the original iPod and iPhone were. I  think most fanboys (which I include myself) don't want to hear that Apple has made a tepid product after so many years of grand slams, but the reality lies in the sales numbers which I agree might be too soon to tell the whole story. If you love Apple's products and want them to be great do yourselves a favor and regain a critical eye. Apple listens to it's customers complaints, help them make the Apple Watch 2.0 what this version should have been. 

• Reply 17 of 42
    sinus tree wrote: »
    What I am saying is this product will be not much more than an accessory product for those with an iPhone and not a "halo" product which the original iPod and iPhone were.

This is actually an apt description of the ? Watch. And that is okay!!! Mine is a spectacular accessory to the iPhone. We are years and years away from watches being a viable alternative to a smartphone. The battery technology is nowhere near where it needs to be to support a completely autonomous device the size of a watch. So for now, what could be better than an extension of your iPhone on your wrist?

I believe that besides the exceptionally useful features the ? Watch provides such as messages, calls, emails and apps, the most under appreciated one is handoff. I now go to my ? Watch before any of my other devices to reference something (which I believe was Apple's main focus for it when they designed it) and if I would like to expand the information I am seeing to a larger screen, I can immediately pick up EXACTLY where I left off on my iPhone, or my iPad, or even my MacBook! That is something that I have begun using more and more as the weeks with my ? Watch have gone by. Once OS2 is released, the ? Watch will improve further and those on the fence or that cancelled their original orders I believe will finally go for it. Autonomous wi-fi connection I think will be the greatest benefit when it goes live and that will further the convenience benefits that most would be interested in with a product like the ? Watch.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sinus tree View Post

...help them make the Apple Watch 2.0 what this version should have been. 

In other words, perfect for *you* from the very outset. The proverbial grand slam with little effort. I don't mean to be facetious, but it seems that analyst expectations (often derided) seem to quietly mirror techie boy expectations, minus the self-awareness. 

• Reply 19 of 42
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashFan207 View Post

I now go to my ? Watch before any of my other devices to reference something (which I believe was Apple's main focus for it when they designed it) and if I would like to expand the information I am seeing to a larger screen, I can immediately pick up EXACTLY where I left off on my iPhone, or my iPad, or even my MacBook! 

I have an ? Watch too, and I really enjoy it.  But I have no idea what you are talking about when you say that you use your ? Watch to "reference something" and then use your iPhone, iPad, or MacBook to "pick up EXACTLY where" you left off.

Can you give an example?  I think perhaps I'm missing out on some capabilities or some apps, because I'm not doing what you're doing.

• Reply 20 of 42
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    sinus tree wrote: »
    I shared my Apple Watch experience earlier, I was interested enough to order one but after spending some time with one at the Apple retail store, I immediately cancelled my order. I am not saying this is a bad product or that it won't sell millions or that there are not millions of happy Apple Watch owners already. What I am saying is this product will be not much more than an accessory product for those with an iPhone and not a "halo" product which the original iPod and iPhone were. I  think most fanboys (which I include myself) don't want to hear that Apple has made a tepid product after so many years of grand slams, but the reality lies in the sales numbers which I agree might be too soon to tell the whole story. If you love Apple's products and want them to be great do yourselves a favor and regain a critical eye. Apple listens to it's customers complaints, help them make the Apple Watch 2.0 what this version should have been. 
    Was the original iPod a halo product? I don't think it was. Reality does lie in sales numbers and Apple did say it outsold the iPad and iPhone on their comparable initial release timeframe.