Two new iPhone identifiers discovered by ad tracking service, rumored 'iPhone 6C' model in doubt

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2015
Mobile app marketing firm Fiksu on Tuesday discovered two new iPhone device identifiers in its dataset for July, suggesting Apple's tests of next-generation hardware do not include a rumored low-end model dubbed "iPhone 6C."

The firm reported seeing about 150 iPhones carrying identifiers not currently in public circulation, 87 labeled "iphone8,1" and 67 tagged "iphone8,2." For reference, Apple's current iPhone 6 and 6 Plus models are designated "iphone7,2" and "iphone7,1," respectively.

The "iphone8,1" and "iphone8,2" identifiers are thought to be associated with next-gen "iPhone 6s" and "iPhone 6s Plus" hardware, though finalized naming conventions have yet to be announced. Perhaps most apparent in today's data is the absence of a third identifier for a much-rumored "iPhone 6C," which would theoretically carry an "iphone7,3" or "iphone7,4" designation due to its basis on current-generation hardware.

Rumors and speculation have suggested Apple plans to release of three new iPhone models for 2015, with the "6C" potentially marking a return to the 4-inch form factor. Earlier today noted cellphone leaker Evan Blass said he heard Apple was looking to announce all three devices this year, most likely at a special event next month.

Apple's supposed next-gen iPhone test base accounts for only a small fraction of total device impressions that number "in the millions," but Fiksu was able to determine that an overwhelming number of devices connected to data networks within the U.S., with a handful of hits originating in Germany and Brazil.

Apple is expected to unveil its latest smartphone lineup in the coming weeks as part of its annual product refresh cycle. A report last week pegged the date as Sept. 9, adding that an anticipated Apple TV revamp might also make the bill.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Does anyone know why Apple doesn't simply spoof the identifier rather than pass along the real useragent info on these test phones?
  • Reply 2 of 20
    bcodebcode Posts: 141member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

Does anyone know why Apple doesn't simply spoof the identifier rather than pass along the real useragent info on these test phones?

Who's to say they didn't?  Until the new hardware is actually released, everything is conjecture.

• Reply 3 of 20
    Quote:

Apple likely needs the correct identifiers to gather diagnostic information with their servers.

• Reply 4 of 20
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:

Makes it easier to track down prototypes left in bars.

• Reply 5 of 20
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    So no 6C this year? Apple is doomed.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    One minute Apple stock is up because analysts are bullish on iPhone the next day Apple stock is down because analysts are bearish on iPhone. One minute the rumor mill says a 6C is coming the next some analytics firm says not so fast. I'm surprised Tim Cook doesn't have whiplash by now.

But if this is accurate and there's no 6C turn for sure the 6 is getting discounted. Apple has to have something for the mid-tier.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    rogifan wrote: »
    One minute Apple stock is up because analysts are bullish on iPhone the next day Apple stock is down because analysts are bearish on iPhone. One minute the rumor mill says a 6C is coming the next some analytics firm says not so fast. I'm surprised Tim Cook doesn't have whiplash by now.

I doubt Tim Cook takes these rumours and analyst "reports" any more seriously than sensible people do horroscopes.

A couple of minutes of entertainment and chuckling at the nonsense of it all, then back to work with the serious business of running Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Like I've been saying. Apple is putting its best foot forward to attract Andriod switchers who are already used to seeing Andriod in high-end materials. This is the reason I think we won't see a plastic 6c; Apple will tempt more cost-sensitive switchers with the current 6, discounted $100. I think there's evidence the 5s gets plastic wrapped this year to reduce its build cost as the free on contract model this year.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    Makes it easier to track down prototypes left in bars.

People aren't that stupid :)

What data tracking suggests is that there are devices "marked" as such iPhones, but unless they are coming from known Apple IP addresses or ISP's that Apple employees use, they could probably be dismissed as spoofs.

It's not unprecedented to have people spoof potential user agents precisely to determine if a website "knows" about a future device.
  • Reply 10 of 20

?My original post:

?Makes it easier to track down prototypes left in bars.

Originally Posted by Misa View Post

People aren't that stupid image [...]

Oh.  Really?  ;)

"Prototype iPhone was left at bar by Apple software engineer"

http://appleinsider.com/articles/10/04/19/prototype_iphone_was_left_at_bar_by_apple_software_engineer

"Apple engineer frantically searched for lost prototype iPhone"

http://appleinsider.com/articles/10/04/21/apple_engineer_frantically_searched_for_lost_prototype_iphone

"Steve Jobs talks lost prototype iPhone, Adobe Flash at All Things D"

http://appleinsider.com/articles/10/06/01/steve_jobs_talks_lost_prototype_iphone_adobe_flash_at_all_things_d

"Apple searching for another missing iPhone prototype left in SF bar"

http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/08/31/apple_searching_for_another_missing_prototype_left_in_sf_bar

"SFPD requests bar surveillance footage for lost iPhone 5 probe"

http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/09/25/sfpd_requests_bar_surveillance_footage_for_lost_iphone_5_case

;)

• Reply 11 of 20

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... suggesting Apple's tests of next-generation hardware do not include a rumored low-end model dubbed "iPhone 6C."

But I think it's still possible for Apple to release an iPod touch that could do wi-fi calls.

It would fit the rumors: 4-inch "iPhone", iOS 9 wi-fi calling feature, release schedule different from iPhone / iPad.

Sure, iOS 8 has a wi-fi calling feature, but it isn't enabled for all carriers.  Yet.

And it would be trivial to add a speaker/earpiece to an iPod touch.  Or throw in earbuds with a mic.

So does an iPod touch that can make wi-fi phone calls actually make any business sense?

Probably not.  It would give cheapskates something like a low-end alternative to iPhone.

But it might cannibalize iPhone sales somewhat.

• Reply 12 of 20
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

But I think it's still possible for Apple to release an iPod touch that could do wi-fi calls.

It would fit the rumors: 4-inch "iPhone", iOS 9 wi-fi calling feature, release schedule different from iPhone / iPad.

Sure, iOS 8 has a wi-fi calling feature, but it isn't enabled for all carriers.  Yet.

And it would be trivial to add a speaker/earpiece to an iPod touch.  Or throw in earbuds with a mic.

So does an iPod touch that can make wi-fi phone calls actually make any business sense?

Probably not.  It would give cheapskates something like a low-end alternative to iPhone.

But it might cannibalize iPhone sales somewhat.

How would Wi-Fi calling work with no linked cellular number. How would anyone call you on it?

• Reply 13 of 20
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    lukei wrote: »
    How would Wi-Fi calling work with no linked cellular number. How would anyone call you on it?
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;"> </span>
    Skype, Google Voice, or any number of apps which assign numbers to your account. Indeed if you wanted to drop your cell service altogether, you could transfer your cell number to Google Voice in particular.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    rogifan wrote: »

But if this is accurate and there's no 6C turn for sure the 6 is getting discounted. Apple has to have something for the mid-tier.

The real reason the stock drops is because a consensus target price is reached and sellers act together. The strength and health of the company is irrelevant.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member

Here's an interesting way to make calls with an iPod Touch:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/35224746/piece-change-the-way-you-use-smart-phones
  • Reply 16 of 20
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Skype, Google Voice, or any number of apps which assign numbers to your account. Indeed if you wanted to drop your cell service altogether, you could transfer your cell number to Google Voice in particular

Yes but why does that need the iOS Wi-Fi calling function?

I wouldn't give Google my cell number and I honestly can't see anyone relying totally on voice over IP using WiFi.  It's a niche in a niche.

• Reply 17 of 20
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    I wonder if the existence of the Apple Watch has affected the iPhone lineup.

One rationale for having a 4-inch form factor phone is the ease of one-handed use. Even Steve acknowledged the importance of this consideration when talking about the size of the iPhone.

However, with the arrival of the Watch, maybe it obviates a need for the one-handed iPhone. You don't need to hold the Watch, and you can dictate to it rather than type. It doesn't perfectly cover all the ways people use a one-handed phone, but maybe it's good enough.

I'm still on a 4S, which is excellent for one-handed use, and in thinking about my next upgrade, am considering a Watch & the 6S Plus combo.
  • Reply 18 of 20

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Skype, Google Voice, or any number of apps which assign numbers to your account. Indeed if you wanted to drop your cell service altogether, you could transfer your cell number to Google Voice in particular.

Yup.

• Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lukei View Post

Yes but why does that need the iOS Wi-Fi calling function?

I wouldn't give Google my cell number and I honestly can't see anyone relying totally on voice over IP using WiFi.  It's a niche in a niche.

Good advice.

Never give Google your cell number.

• Reply 20 of 20

Good advice.
    Never give Google your cell number.

But but but Google is not evil.