Catalyst's Apple Watch case touts waterproof design, full access to screen and heart rate sensor

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited August 2015
Accessories firm Catalyst on Wednesday announced preorder availability of a new waterproof case for Apple Watch, which boasts full access to touchscreen and physical controls, heart rate monitor and inductive charging dock.

Catalyst says its new waterproof Apple Watch case is a world's first and is designed to meet or exceed IP68 standards, meaning it is both dust tight and can withstand immersion in liquid beyond 3 meters.

The case also meets MIL SPEC standards for drop protection, adding another layer of security for users with active lifestyles. From the looks of it, Catalyst's case features a raised bezel area that helps prevent scratches on Watch's screen when dropped on a flat surface.

Importantly, the added water and drop protection does not come at the cost of device access. Users can operate the touchscreen display normally, while pushers and a special rotating crown offer access to Watch's physical controls. There are also ports for speaker output and microphone input, key features that enable voice calls, alerts, haptics and more.

It appears, however, that Catalyst's case must be used with the provided nylon NATO quick-release style wrist strap, as Watch's magnetic band slots are inaccessible.

Catalyst's waterproof Apple Watch case is limited to 42mm Watch versions and can be preordered for $59.99 in three color combinations: all-black, white housing with green controls or grey housing with red controls. The company expects to start shipping in November.

In addition to Apple Watch, Catalyst also announced a waterproof case for iPad Air, a MultiSport Mount for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus and a belt clip add-on for its iPhone case lineup.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    vfx2k4vfx2k4 Posts: 43member
    Isn't it waterproof already?
  • Reply 2 of 29
    IMO, probably. But only listed as water resistant.
  • Reply 3 of 29

I recently fell into a lake with it on while paddle boarding, and it's still ticking. If I needed it more waterproof then that, then I would take it off, but it was an accident when it happened.

• Reply 4 of 29
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    I recently fell into a lake with it on while paddle boarding, and it's still ticking. If I needed it more waterproof then that, then I would take it off, but it was an accident when it happened.

That's funny, 'cause I recently fell into an industrial meat grinder at work. The watch is in pieces, and I'm pretty cut up about it too to be honest.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vfx2k4 View Post

Nope. No reputable watch is "waterproof", only levels of water resistant. 

While a number or experiments and anecdotal reports have shown the watch to be quite water resistant, including surfing ocean waves, no one actually knows the extent the watch is water resistant, since Apple chose to release with an IPX7 rating which is actually quite limited when it comes to water resistance.

And to the extent the ?Watch has more significant water resistance protection than it's rating, it's unclear how reliable that resistance will be over time. As with all watches, and devices, water resistance typically requires maintenance to maintain 100% effectiveness. Apple has not published anything that would indicate such maintenance will be offered.

So I'm thrilled to see this case, and will be getting one to go with my ?Watch so that I can wear it surfing. Now I just need a good compatible door lock for my house, and something for my car, and I'll be set!

• Reply 6 of 29
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

No, it’s not waterproof. Next question.

• Reply 7 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Wouldn't mind having a waterproof case for my iPod shuffle...

• Reply 8 of 29
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Ever see anybody walking around with a case around their Rolex, TAG Heuer, or other high end watch? I thought not. In my personal opinion it’s completely nuts to cover up the ?Watch with some ugly, basically useless rubber case with colored buttons. I didn’t buy the ?Watch Standard with Milanese band just to turn around and make it look like some cheap plastic crap watch you can buy at Walmart. By the way I saw a $10,500.00 Chanel watch in the display case at a Costco the other day. And people say the ?Watch is pricey. Go figure. Anybody make a rubber case for that beauty? 

• Reply 9 of 29
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Wouldn't mind having a waterproof case for my iPod shuffle...

There's a company which will waterproof the Shuffle its;f so no need for a case. They've been very successful with it.

• Reply 10 of 29
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Anything that diminishes the beauty of an Apple Watch doesn't belong on it.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    mobius wrote: »
    That's funny, 'cause I recently fell into an industrial meat grinder at work. The watch is in pieces, and I'm pretty cut up about it too to be honest.

Dammit man, pull yourself together!
  • Reply 12 of 29
    mac_128 wrote: »

Nope. No reputable watch is "waterproof", only levels of water resistant. 

I think the Rolex would argue against this statement since they had one of their watches go to a depth of 35,756 ft. But I know what you mean. Nothing is "bullet-proof" or "water-proof", just bullet resistant and water resistant.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

No, it’s not waterproof. Next question.

Well, who knows really, what degree of resistance to water it has. Seems Apple were very conservative in rating the watch.

Nothing with exposed speakers off course could be waterproof!

A LOT of people swim with it... Ahem... Though I'm sure they're not telling Apple about it.

The official rating is IPX7 I believe, but from actual use it seems to be way better than that.

Garmin watches from the early 2000s which were rated IPX7 could not endure as much water abuse (though they could endure more than their rating implied).

IPX7 just means it was tested to meet this (and the warantee covers this use), doesn't say if they are conservative, or not rating/testing it higher to not invite deep sea divers to use the watch at 100M and then whining it broke...

• Reply 14 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Ever see anybody walking around with a case around their Rolex, TAG Heuer, or other high end watch?

I noticed a few days ago under light that I had rubbed the corner of the screen on an abrasive surface. One millimeter over and it would be visible under light. I work around tables that are made of very heavy steel. One tap of an edge on the Apple Watch screen and it's done for.

No comparison with luxury watches: The crystal on a Rolex and TAG is normally replaced if it's scratched and you send it in for normal service. The screen on a Rolex isn't high resolution, nor does it emit tiny pixels of colored light that diffracts under scratches.

A stainless or gold body is buffed at the same time to restore the finish. You can't restore the anodized aluminum on the cheap Apple Watches. You have to etch the whole finish away and reanodize it. There's already two corners on mine where the dark finish has chipped. 

• Reply 15 of 29
    This would make me buy the watch. I totally get the idea of having house locks, car locks, Apple Pay. No more keys and wallet at the beach. Swimming laps at home, pair of earbuds and you get both music and the ability to track the workout. Can see where this is going.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

I won't be buying this. Just so you know. 

Not quite as silly as the dual watch watch thingy, which is hands down one the stupidest fucking products I have ever seen in my life...

• Reply 17 of 29
    dbhdbh Posts: 41member

my ipod touch (can't remember which version) went thru a full cycle of laundry and came out unscathed and working fine.. too bad it got lost during one of the family holidays..

• Reply 18 of 29
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    I think the Rolex would argue against this statement since they had one of their watches go to a depth of 35,756 ft. But I know what you mean. Nothing is "bullet-proof" or "water-proof", just bullet resistant and water resistant.

I saw that watch yesterday at the Museum of Transport in Lucerne. It looks like a tank with a strap.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Quote:

Yeah, but it's a classic troll meme. They're not supposed to make sense or be factual, just be catchy and viral by Apple haters.

• Reply 20 of 29

Another defensive post by the "but but but Rolex" crowd in a thread about Apple Watch.