Catalyst's Apple Watch case touts waterproof design, full access to screen and heart rate sensor

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yeah, but it's a classic troll meme. They're not supposed to make sense or be factual, just be catchy and viral by Apple haters.

That's a ridiculous response. It has an IPx rating for a reason. It isn't waterproof, Apple has confirmed it isn't waterproof and the IP rating confirms it isn't waterproof. 

• Reply 22 of 29
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

I recently fell into a lake with it on while paddle boarding, and it's still ticking.

I don't think wrist computers are supposed to tick.

• Reply 23 of 29
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    mr. me wrote: »
    Dammit man, pull yourself together!
    Haha!

There are cracks showing, but I will try.

Actually, I'm in two minds about this product. Part of me can see the utility to a small subset of Apple Watch wearers. Another part of me looks at it and reacts with repulsion since it just turns the watch into a cheap tacky looking monstrosity. But, I suppose if I were swimming it would matter less what it looked like.

P.S. Just realised someone has the username monstrosity - maybe that's why I used the word!
  • Reply 24 of 29
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    I won't be buying this. Just so you know. 

Not quite as silly as the dual watch watch thingy, which is hands down one the stupidest fucking products I have ever seen in my life...

https://vimeo.com/134956952
    I agree. Is it because it's a...monstrosity?! ;)
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Ok its pretty ugly, but having a beautiful "water resistant enough" watch on daily basis and being able to encase it into a waterproof wrist strap when doing water sports* does look as a good option.

*I put swimming aside cause I never wear watch when I swim anyway. For me swimming is about freedom so having even a mechanical watch restraining my wrist is nonsense.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    This will be a hit with swimmers who own the watch.
  • Reply 27 of 29

Very practical....and it's waterproof! 

• Reply 28 of 29
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mobius wrote: »
    Actually, I'm in two minds about this product. Part of me can see the utility to a small subset of Apple Watch wearers. Another part of me looks at it and reacts with repulsion since it just turns the watch into a cheap tacky looking monstrosity. But, I suppose if I were swimming it would matter less what it looked like.

What exactly is the objection here? The black model is actually quite stylish, and looks like any number of not inexpensive true sport watches. In fact it looks a lot like my Brig Tide Surf Watch, which cost over $150. Here is a selection of some of the top surf watches.

http://www.surfertoday.com/surfing/5640-the-best-surf-watches-in-the-world

And here's a GPS enabled surf watch for over $400.

These are common designs which are part of the culture that uses such water resistant watches. And yes how they look is a big part of it.

I personally won't be wearing my ?watch to work, as I could care less about notifications throughout the day, when my phone is always an arms length away. I also don't care for the look of it, even if I did want to wear a watch, and I don't. I also am not interested in charging it everyday. But as a surf watch, I can leave it on its charger, always ready to go even for a full day of surfing on the weekend. And it will offer invaluable uses like unlocking doors, using ?Pay, and getting notifications when my phone is locked away in my car. But I wouldn't hesitate to wear this into the office either if I were so inclined.

This is a beautiful and elegant solution that will fit well into my lifestyle, and easily match the surf watches I've previously owned. In fact I like he ?Watch more packaged this way than trying to pass off a digital watch like a Rolex, without the most important attribute -- the face. In fact, I hope Apple does a plastic watch case in creating a TRUE Sport watch, with appropriate water-resistance, in line with those that outdoor enthusiasts of all walks of life actively wear. Until then, this is a fantastic accessory for the ?Watch.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    vfx2k4 wrote: »
    Isn't it waterproof already?

Its listed as water resistant... But i swim with it... I go windsurfing with it ... So far so good .
    I would not go deeper than 10 feet with it though !