New Apple TV expected, but streaming video service questionable for Sept. 9 event, Piper Jaffray say

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited August 2015
Apple is expected to unveil a brand new Apple TV in less than a month, but consumers waiting for a new companion streaming video service from the Cupertino-based company may have to wait longer, according to investment firm Piper Jaffray.

Analyst Gene Munster issued a note to investors on Thursday, a copy of which was provided to AppleInsider, in which he characterized a new content offering from Apple as a "wildcard" for its anticipated Sept. 9 event. Munster characterized it as a 50-50 chance that the company opts to unveil its forthcoming new content offering at the keynote presentation.

"We believe Apple's eventual content offering will include the majority of the network channels plus major cable offerings like ESPN, AMC, TNT, and TBS," he wrote.

Cable cutting options continue to grow, led by Sling TV -- which offers a range of live channel streams --?including sports on ESPN -- starting at $20 per month. Apple is widely alleged to be engaged in talks with content providers for a forthcoming streaming TV service.

Though those talks are said to be progressing, it's likely that any delays for a new streaming service would be due to negotiations with networks. One report from last month alleged that Apple's interest in live feeds of local broadcast channels were a major sticking point in the talks.

As for the Apple TV hardware, it's expected to be unveiled at a rumored Sept. 9 event, where the company will also showcase its next-generation "iPhone 6s" series.

Munster said on Thursday that the Apple TV update is "overdue," with the hardware not having been updated in a meaningful way since early 2012. It's expected that the new Apple TV will feature a dedicated App Store, Siri voice controls, and a new Bluetooth touchpad remote.

While a new Apple TV will help solidify Apple's presence in the living room, Munster doesn't believe it will greatly affect the company's bottom line. Priced at a presumed $99, Munster estimates that every 25 million units sold would add just 1 percent to the company's calendar year 2016 revenue.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Gene Gene the "Let's Make Things Up to Get Attention" Machine
  • Reply 2 of 29
    So new ATV in sept., content for the U.S. within the months to follow. Content for rest of the world .... Maybe after apple pay arrives.
    2020?
  • Reply 3 of 29
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    If they unveil a new Apple TV of some sort, they will absolutely show the service. Actual launch dates are a totally different thing.
  • Reply 4 of 29

If they will not have streaming quite yet then for me I am hoping an app store.  If they build out an app store for the television then this should create some value in driving more content.  It could also serve as a point for home automation.  If they do this my family will really get nothing done.  lol

• Reply 5 of 29
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

So the bottom line, as usual, is that nobody knows anything about anything so why not just make something up. Munster probably has two reports ready to go, one if the new device appears and another if it doesn’t. Either way he’ll have an explanation to foster the illusion that he knows something we don’t. I always wondered how analysts produced their dog and pony shows.

• Reply 6 of 29
    habihabi Posts: 317member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post

If they will not have streaming quite yet then for me I am hoping an app store.  If they build out an app store for the television then this should create some value in driving more content.  It could also serve as a point for home automation.  If they do this my family will really get nothing done.  lol

Yes, if they have nothing to show here an appstore would really drive some change still. Better than nada. I dont want to stream from my countrys tv-stations from another device, its just so unnecessary...

• Reply 7 of 29
    ATV App Store opens the possibility of Apple increase the focus of ATV as a gaming console. (In time for Christmas!) Wonder if they will... I haven't heard any chatter on that possibility.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    That's Ok. Don't need it. Just need better hardware, better UI, and better search, and better remote.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    pmz wrote: »
    That's Ok. Don't need it. Just need better hardware, better UI, and better search, and better remote.

I know this isn't ideal for everyone, but I use the apple Bluetooth keyboard as my remote. Works great, especially when searching for stuff on Netflix
  • Reply 10 of 29
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member

Ugh. SO tired of rumor after rumor about a new ATV that never happens. Just give me apps and Amazon on the ones I already have!

• Reply 11 of 29
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

When you need a keyboard on the couch, you're doing something wrong.

As much as I dislike voice as a primary input method, there is potential for a Voice + Global Search UI on AppleTV to be a very quick way of finding content.

• Reply 12 of 29
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    My question to Gene is, what sizes will this new Apple TV be in?  I'm guess 65, 72 and 84-inches.  /s
  • Reply 13 of 29
    giffengiffen Posts: 30member

Why do they assume the new Apple TV will still be priced at $99?  If the new ATV comes with vastly improved CPU, memory, and actually includes a good amount of storage for either DVR functions or for gaming, why wouldn't Apple price it more like $199 or $299?

• Reply 14 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    giffen wrote: »
    Why do they assume the new Apple TV will still be priced at $99?  If the new ATV comes with vastly improved CPU, memory, and actually includes a good amount of storage for either DVR functions or for gaming, why wouldn't Apple price it more like $199 or $299?

You could be right, but I suspect that won't be the case. Apple's MO for any given product is traditional, roughly same price with better specs and more features.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    razorpit wrote: »

?tv doesn't need a DVR. Any additional TV channels added would work just like all the other channels already available. Hence the word streaming, any shows u want to see u will be able to stream them directly from the networks. DVRs are becoming obsolete. More storage is more likely for downloading apps from its own dedicated App Store and/or gaming
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You could be right, but I suspect that won't be the case. Apple's MO for any given product is traditional, roughly same price with better specs and more features.

Except not always.  cf. Macbook, which used to be the cheapest computer, or the mini, which a few years ago had the minimum low-tier price increased.

I think they could easily keep their Apple TV 3 around for $79 and put out a new Apple TV Pro (or whatever) at a higher price point than $99, depending on features (i.e. if its a local gaming machine it's going to need a whole bunch of storage on board)

• Reply 17 of 29
    "Apple is expected to"

Wall St: you paying attention? If Apple doesn't deliver on analysts' empty promises you know what to do to AAPL.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member

Gene "Often Wrong" Munster lacks any credibility. 

Where are the leaks of pictures the new AppleTV components being manufactured?

• Reply 19 of 29
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

"Apple is expected to"

Wall St: you paying attention? If Apple doesn't deliver on analysts' empty promises you know what to do to AAPL.

Notice no one says "Piper Jaffray, a firm with a poor record of being right about Apple, expects Apple to etc etc"

• Reply 20 of 29
    giffen wrote: »

Analysts have an expectation for everything, even when they are speculating. There is no such thing as "I don't know" in the analyst game. You have to put something out there. The rumor mill web sites (we know the ones) loves posting analysts' "reports" as articles. It's quasi-news, quasi-rumor, and quasi-investment advice. In other words: bull.