Apple releases iOS 8.4.1 with fixes for Apple Music and iCloud Music Library

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2015
Apple on Thursday released to the public iOS 8.4.1, a maintenance and security update that the company said fixes issues with its recently launched Apple Music streaming subscription service related to playlists, iCloud Music Library, offline music and more.

iOS 8.4.1 is now available to download through the Settings app on an iPhone or iPad. It is identified as build 12H32.

The update resolves issues that could prevent turning on iCloud Music Library. It also fixes an issue that hides added music because Apple Music was set to show offline music only.

The Music app also gains a way to add songs to a new playlist if there aren't any playlists to choose from, and it resolves an issue that may show different artwork for an album on other devices.

Apple also said it fixed issues for artists while posting to Connect, and squashed a bug where tapping Love doesn't work as expected while listening to Beats 1.

The minor update is likely just a stopgap until the impending release of iOS 9, which remains available solely to beta testers ahead of its anticipated September launch.

Only two betas of iOS 8.4.1 were issued to developers before Thursday's launch.

The last major update to iOS, version 8.4, launched on June 30, bringing with it a redesigned Music app with support for Apple Music and Beats 1 radio.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 257member

Great!  I hope it fixes all by album cover art it dorked up with the last update.  I haven't turned on Apple Music on my iMac (where all the music I own is stored) because of this issue.  

• Reply 2 of 64
    The only thing I want to know is if they put the shuffle button back in. :(
  • Reply 3 of 64

At this point, I am going to wait for iOS 9. Or maybe even 9.0.1.

• Reply 4 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Better not

http://lists.apple.com/archives/security-announce/2015/Aug/msg00002.html

fixes 43 separate security issues over 71 CVE numbers! And people laugh at Microsoft...

• Reply 5 of 64
    dtracedtrace Posts: 59member

Agree completely, I wish I could upvote this...

• Reply 6 of 64
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    If you run an application like EasyTAG you can make sure each and every file of music has the album art embedded into it.
  • Reply 7 of 64
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawrance View Post

The only thing I want to know is if they put the shuffle button back in. image

It is still there - just in a different place.

• Reply 8 of 64
    lawrance wrote: »
    The only thing I want to know is if they put the shuffle button back in. :(
    They have put the shuffle button in iOS 9, at least. I don't know about iOS 8.4.1, though.
  • Reply 9 of 64
    Why do people have to announce what they are not going to do? Just don't do it and keep it to yourself.
  • Reply 10 of 64
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Apple has become extremely quick at addressing feedback. The "you can't create a new playlist from the add to playlist pop-up" complaint has been addressed with an option to do just that. 

• Reply 11 of 64
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 803member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Like I said before Apple will fix AppleMusic.

All the haters can suck on a cactus while AppleMusic will dominate streaming in the next 12 months.

A market so small, it makes the market for cactuses to suck on look big.....

(seriously, the market is small and will not grow until all streaming services become interoperable or include a lease to buy scheme; will people want to spend $1,200 over 10 years for the privilege of having to stay with Apple until they die and thus spend another $8,000 on them? When instead, you could have bought 100 albums and listened to them for the rest of your life without spending another penny. And yes, I am aware the same happened when we went from vinyl to CD, but that was a MAJOR upgrade in quality and convenience).

• Reply 12 of 64
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by danielagos View Post

They have put the shuffle button in iOS 9, at least. I don't know about iOS 8.4.1, though.

In 8.4, the "shuffle" button at the top of your music list moved. You must first start a song to playing, then touch the bottom that shows what song is currently playing. The shuffle and repeat buttons are at the bottom. Again, shuffle never went away in 8.4 - it just moved.

• Reply 13 of 64
    Hmm, ran the update and my art work is still messed up. Maybe I should remove all the music from my phone and then add back to my phone? Glad they are working on it tho...
  • Reply 14 of 64

Apple should not be making their software harder to use by creating multiple steps for the sake of form over function. I know a work-around but millions of users should not have to resort to a multi-step workaround that was once a prominent feature for years. 

• Reply 15 of 64
    Can you shuffle all the songs of one artist anymore? I can't find that option.
  • Reply 16 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

The estimates is there are 41 million users who pay for streaming music.

I expect that number to double in the next 12 months.

And then quadriple in the next 24 months.

And AAPL to hit $150 by EOY, or self-ban, right?

• Reply 17 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Better not

http://lists.apple.com/archives/security-announce/2015/Aug/msg00002.html

fixes 43 separate security issues over 71 CVE numbers! And people laugh at Microsoft...

Thanks for the link.

• Reply 18 of 64

Says the Pompous JackHole with over 6,400 posts. Get a life, DAD. 

• Reply 19 of 64
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member

I honestly cannot use Apple Music as much as I'd like to. The enforcement of using iTunes in the Cloud (if you wish to set Apple Music to  "Make Available Offline") is so fundamentally wrong I really have a tough time understanding how this is acceptable to many.

For if you choose this option, everything, including your own ripped/acquired elsewhere music, is now in the cloud and not on your iPhone and you are forced to stream everything.  Yes, if you "merge" in the beginning, the songs stay local, but over time, as you add new music on your own, they do not sync locally.

If you're on reliable WiFi all the time, I suppose this is great (though why collectively waste all that bandwidth?) But do people really want to see what their cellular bills will be if they choose to stream on cellular, especially for a family? And there are tons of places reliable cellular is unavailable, and tower hopping will often drop streams if you're in motion.

Out of our 4 iPhones, I turned on Cellular for iTunes Music on mine only to test bout two weeks ago. Besides sporadic connectivity which made the experience poor, I just received a text from ATT that we have used 75% of our cellular plan already, and the billing cycle ends on the 27th. Can you imagine if all four of us were using it? And my use is not heavy.

I really cannot fathom why Apple did not allow local sync to continue as always, and allow downloading of streams (rentals) without iTunes in the Cloud. And as an aside, Make Available Offline must be chosen manually for every playlist, album or song, on each device. Even if you supported the iTunes in the Cloud concept by Apple, try keep track of all that.

I get what they're trying to do (greatly increase iCloud usage and eventually revenue) and reduce the need to memory in iPhones - but this is being forced way to early, and there are real usability and cost ramifications that are not adequately addressed with this model.

So since I'm not going to stream my own music, for all the reasons above, I have to turn iTunes in the Cloud off. This now means I can't download Apple Music to my iPhone to listen where and when I want. So why would I subscribe?

I'd love to hear if someone has a workaround, but several calls to Apple support are all met with clear understanding and direct acknowledgment that (most of ) the reps are equally frustrated, but no answer has been forthcoming.

• Reply 20 of 64

You should ask sog35. He knows everything. (Or at least he thinks he does.)