New Apple TV expected, but streaming video service questionable for Sept. 9 event, Piper Jaffray say

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    With Mt Tam between me and SF, I have no OTA. Local over the top is all I'm waiting for, since my 2 other wishes (Golf Channel and TCM) are unlikely to be offered anytime soon.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Giffen View Post

Why do they assume the new Apple TV will still be priced at $99?  If the new ATV comes with vastly improved CPU, memory, and actually includes a good amount of storage for either DVR functions or for gaming, why wouldn't Apple price it more like $199 or $299?

One thing I think Apple is conscious of is that an a TV connected MacMini offers a lot of possibility. Remember "frontrow?" A well thought out app like Plex puts a lot of price cap pressure on AppleTV. 

• Reply 23 of 29
    eightzero wrote: »
    Gene "Often Wrong" Munster lacks any credibility. 

Where are the leaks of pictures the new AppleTV components being manufactured?

Gene and the other analysts aren't held accountable if Apple doesn't release such and such product on some arbitrary date. It's Apple that shall be held accountable for missing these analysts' expectations. And ruddy little burned investors will take their frustrations out on Tim Cook in these forums.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    eightzero wrote: »
    One thing I think Apple is conscious of is that an a TV connected MacMini offers a lot of possibility. Remember "frontrow?" A well thought out app like Plex puts a lot of price cap pressure on AppleTV. 

Yeah, FrontRow was nice. At the time I just didn't have the media to make it really useful, though.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I wouldn't be surprised if Apple was trying snatch YouTube channels over to Apple TV.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

So new ATV in sept., content for the U.S. within the months to follow. Content for rest of the world .... Maybe after apple pay arrives.

2020?

You can use a VPN wifi router that is compatible with OpenVPN then connect through a service such as PureVPN for less than $10 a month.

All the details:

http://www.greycoder.com/best-vpn-routers/

http://vpnpick.com/reviews/purevpn/

• Reply 27 of 29
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GQB View Post

With Mt Tam between me and SF, I have no OTA. Local over the top is all I'm waiting for, since my 2 other wishes (Golf Channel and TCM) are unlikely to be offered anytime soon.

Can you use the Golf Channel app to Airplay?

• Reply 28 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You can use a VPN wifi router that is compatible with OpenVPN then connect through a service such as PureVPN for less than $10 a month.

All the details:

http://www.greycoder.com/best-vpn-routers/

http://vpnpick.com/reviews/purevpn/

Thanks. I read the info on those sites. That would likely give me access to US services, basically tricking the ATV into thinking I am in the US, right?

But then I would need a US based account as well, wouldn't I? And it would be a mix-up with my European account. 

Also, it would not give me any local services, as those would have to be negotiated yet (which as I said I am sure having to go  country by country, and content provider by content provider, should take long enough, a few years for sure ;-)

• Reply 29 of 29
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JLover View Post

?tv doesn't need a DVR. Any additional TV channels added would work just like all the other channels already available. Hence the word streaming, any shows u want to see u will be able to stream them directly from the networks. DVRs are becoming obsolete. More storage is more likely for downloading apps from its own dedicated App Store and/or gaming

I think you replied to the wrong post.  I didn't mention a DVR.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Gene "Often Wrong" Munster lacks any credibility. 

Where are the leaks of pictures the new AppleTV components being manufactured?

If there is indeed a new Apple TV coming next month I have to give Apple some credit here.  You would expect there to be some leaks at this point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giffen View Post

Why do they assume the new Apple TV will still be priced at $99?  If the new ATV comes with vastly improved CPU, memory, and actually includes a good amount of storage for either DVR functions or for gaming, why wouldn't Apple price it more like $199 or $299?

You could be right, it may be more than $99 however a lot of time has passed since the initial AppleTV 2 was release.  Adding more CPU, enough to handling gaming would be trivial for Apple in 2015.  I think Apple see's the AppleTV as a gateway to the iTunes store.  No matter how they price it people will (must) use it with the iTunes store, generating additional revenue.  I don't think Apple price it so they lose money but wouldn't be surprised to see the new model ~ $99 - $149.