Report: Apple TV service pushed back to 2016, new hardware expected in September

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Why? Apple content would be just one part of many. Do you shy away from Netflix, Crackle, Hulu or Amazon created content?

Yes.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Apple should buy shows from studios. They shouldn't be a studio.

And who would do the buying? Would it be as diverse as iTunes and iBooks?
  • Reply 23 of 38
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member

Amazing how some people can't see beyond their own narrow use cases.

1. "I don't need local content,  I have an HD antenna."  - Many, many people live too far away from transmitters for dinky indoor or even outdoor antennas to work well enough.

2. "I get my news from blogs and websites. HS sports is streamed. What else do I need?" - Well, half the population doesn't give a crap about HS sports and some people prefer to watch news broadcasts. I would think a lot of people still care about their local pro sports teams.

• Reply 24 of 38
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I cut the cord over 3 years ago. The last thing I'm going to do is start paying Apple $40 a month for tv content I get for free with my nice large antenna. Some Netflix and a antenna and a couple season passes for programs I really want to see it's all I need. I'm saving a bundle of money. Boo need for that crap Hulu. If you want to see game of thrones on hbo, sign up for a month after the season us over and new toy can binge watch the whole season for $15 and cancel after the month. Be smart and save money and not pay these games. SlingTV starting at $20 a month is still a ripoff. I don't want ESPN let along fixed channel bundles. It's the same old but less channels for the same price streaming. No thanks. Maybe less tv is a good thing!!!. Get free in more ways then one.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I'm all for waiting so you can build out the proper HW, SW and services, but I can't help but wonder that if this rumour is true, and another year will be tacked on, that Apple could be missing their window of owning the living room.

I agree with this (implied) assessment.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,167member
    Just bundle The apps for current streamers at a discount subscrpition, with unified search. Don't waste time with the networks.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    rogifan wrote: »
    And who would do the buying? Would it be as diverse as iTunes and iBooks?

Probably not but there are a lot of pilots looking to become series. Obviously apple needs "TV people" to help decide what to take a chance on.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

It would be stupid to release new hardware without a service...it's like...releasing a smartwatch but you can use it as regular watch to tell time until apps are created later...plain stupid. I don't believe this 1 bit. Apple either release new ATV and service at the same time or not.

• Reply 29 of 38
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

I know people want to cut those cords, but I recently had to get Comcast because I'm in the boonies. Now my TV, phone and internet is all bundled together for $99/month. My single DirecTV bill used to be higher than that.

It's fast, when it's up and working. And the phone only cuts out every other syllable. But hey..... this is 2015 in the US. It's not like we are going to replace copper anytime soon.

I'm extremely impressed and happy with Netflix and was already a Prime member of amazon when Bezos shocked the hell out of me by throwing their version of Netflix into the package for free. What I can't get with all that, I can rent on iTunes or even watch for free on Youtube.

I'm pretty loaded on content now. Apple is going to have a hard time getting another $40/month out of me.

I'm always open to be blown away, however, and will almost certainly upgrade the hardware.

• Reply 30 of 38
    If the streaming service has enough capacity what a great opportunity to
    offer 4K video feeds to the next wave of UHD Oled televisions.
    Cut out competing 4K DVD player development before they get off the ground.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vulcan747 View Post

If the streaming service has enough capacity what a great opportunity to

offer 4K video feeds to the next wave of UHD Oled televisions.

Cut out competing 4K DVD player development before they get off the ground.

4K BD will be out this year. Lots of people don't have the bandwidth for 4k streaming, and BD 4K will be superior to streaming, enough so that there is a market for both media and streaming.

Of course, most people are happy with 1080P or even 720P streaming anyway, and DVD's still sell over BD's.

• Reply 32 of 38
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    kbsbeme wrote: »
    Hey, Apple! I have a local HD antenna. So give us the cable and network streaming on demand channels we need to cut the cable.

THEN offer the live local as and add-on later.

agree...just increase the price of the unit by $5-10 to cover the cost of a tuner chip and give people a HD antenna port, sleek optional $29-49 antenna option.

many people don't know about the over the air HD signals that are available.

get the Apple TV app store up & going & let's just get on with it already.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

Amazing how some people can't see beyond their own narrow use cases.

1. "I don't need local content,  I have an HD antenna."  - Many, many people live too far away from transmitters for dinky indoor or even outdoor antennas to work well enough.

2. "I get my news from blogs and websites. HS sports is streamed. What else do I need?" - Well, half the population doesn't give a crap about HS sports and some people prefer to watch news broadcasts. I would think a lot of people still care about their local pro sports teams.

The best thing that could ever happen to people would be to stop watching "news" broadcasts.

• Reply 34 of 38
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Earlier today, Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster said there is a 50-50 chance that Apple would unveil its OTT service during next month's iPhone event.

Way to go out on limb there, Gene.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

The source of that got mocked today for setting a record of sorts: SEVEN unnamed "some people familiar with" in the first para!

• Reply 36 of 38
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Anome View Post

Networks and affiliates can even have apps that allow you to set your location, and automatically feed you the local stations.

Not only might that conflict with current licensing deals, which may be multi-year and not expiring in the near future, it would pretty much kill the concept of local stations. If Must-See-Soap-Opera is on at 1:00 in each respective time zone, users in the Central, Mountain, and Western time zones could just "tune in" to an east coast station to get it ahead of time. Enough users do that and those other local stations could lose enough revenue that they are no longer viable, especially in smaller markets. That in turn would further erode the networks reach and power as more and more affiliates shut down.

I think we'll eventually get to the same place, but all of the players who are current negotiating with Apple are going to be very cautious getting there to ensure their revenue stream is preserved.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

It would be stupid to release new hardware without a service...it's like...releasing a smartwatch but you can use it as regular watch to tell time until apps are created later...plain stupid. I don't believe this 1 bit. Apple either release new ATV and service at the same time or not.

Well, there are two parts of the rumored new Apple TV services, the streaming TV bundles and an app store. There are already many who argue, in some cases correctly, that Apple TV lags it's competitors; and it's largely because of that lack options/apps. And presumably there are developers chopping at the bit to create apps for the new Apple TV. If that part of the new functionality is ready to go it would be wise to proceed with that in order to blunt any market share gains by competitors.

• Reply 37 of 38
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    bugsnw wrote: »
    I know people want to cut those cords, but I recently had to get Comcast because I'm in the boonies. Now my TV, phone and internet is all bundled together for $99/month. My single DirecTV bill used to be higher than that.

It's fast, when it's up and working. And the phone only cuts out every other syllable. But hey..... this is 2015 in the US. It's not like we are going to replace copper anytime soon.

I'm extremely impressed and happy with Netflix and was already a Prime member of amazon when Bezos shocked the hell out of me by throwing their version of Netflix into the package for free. What I can't get with all that, I can rent on iTunes or even watch for free on Youtube.

I'm pretty loaded on content now. Apple is going to have a hard time getting another $40/month out of me.

I'm always open to be blown away, however, and will almost certainly upgrade the hardware.
    wait for a year when your Comcast bill shoots to sky at $200+ and come back here for further discussion.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

I've definitely been warned by both consumers as well as workers that I know at Comcast. I was told to call back in two years and at a minimum, the rate will stay the same. We'll see.

Market forces are at work anyhow and there will be pressure to provide more services at lower costs. The days of DirecTV and Comcast enjoying the market to themselves is coming to an end.