Updated Apple diversity numbers show growth in hires of black, female, and Hispanic workers

Comments

• Reply 41 of 112
    I swear, there is censorship on here. I posted something that was true. Diversity is not always the answer.
  • Reply 42 of 112
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Future Man View Post

There were never any barriers for entry into this field, except for being very talented and devoted to IT not only as a job, but as a lifestyle!

This absolutely is not true. I can't count the number of times I've heard "We're not just looking for someone with the right skills, we're looking for someone who fits the culture". It seems to be the mantra of every Silicon Valley start-up.

• Reply 43 of 112
    pembrokepembroke Posts: 230member

What, no metric for males, regardless of ethnicity, who are no taller than 5'9" !?!? We don't want Apple employing disproportionately high number of short people!

Regardless of actual DNA traits, if one, a 'Caucasian European male say, "identifies as black or Hispanic or female" (apparently we can do that now) would that give one a few more points on the Apple application score card? 

• Reply 44 of 112
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    jcs2305 wrote: »
    Easy now. If you think that "color filter" doesn't work the other way... Meaning.... that a qualified black or other minority who is qualified and isn't hired because of color , you need to get your head out of the sand.

There is no such thing as 'positive' discrimination.
    It is the wrong thing to do to train people to discriminate with a 'positive' intention.
    The result will be even more discrimination.
    In other words, to fight discrimination with discrimination defeats the purpose.
    The right way to tackle discrimination is in this case to make sure that the 'human resource' (or whatever) department doesn't discriminate and that people (who think) they encounter discrimination report this and bring this to court when needed.
  • Reply 45 of 112
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    This thread like all threads that deal with diversity is just so depressing. The usual arguments about how poor little white man will now be discriminated against and it's PC gone mad.

It's offensive and foolish to make such an assumption. Not everyone thinks in terms of race and class. This is about instituting policies to treat imaginary problems for political reasons.
  • Reply 46 of 112
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    rayz wrote: »
    As usual, folk read about Apple's work to improve diversity and get hot under their collective collar.

This isn't about hiring people because they're black.
    It's about ensuring that qualified people are not turned away because they are black.

Apple isn't telling its managers to give ethnic minorities the preferential nod. It's telling its managers to make sure they're not turning away the best person for the job because they're not Caucasian.

Relax. As long as he's better qualified, no white man is going to lose out because of this.

Unless you believe that being white should be qualification enough.

Why does everything have to boil down to either 'better qualified', or 'worse qualified'? Why can't they be equally qualified?
  • Reply 47 of 112
    Geez it should be about hiring the most qualified people but this frigging country is so hell bent on being politically correct that unqualified people get jobs only because they are hispanic or black. So sad what this country and become and the the road to destruction that is continues to follow. If you want a good job go get an education and earn it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 48 of 112
    pembroke wrote: »
    What, no metric for males, regardless of ethnicity, who are no taller than 5'9" !?!? We don't want Apple employing disproportionately high number of short people!

Regardless of actual DNA traits, if one, a 'Caucasian European male say, "identifies as black or Hispanic or female" (apparently we can do that now) would that give one a few more points on the Apple application score card? 

What percentage qualifies as European? Michelle Rodriguez (Latina actress) came in as 73% European in her DNA results.
  • Reply 49 of 112
    This thread like all threads that deal with diversity is just so depressing. The usual arguments about how poor little white man will now be discriminated against and it's PC gone mad.
    One thing it does show that Apple fans are just as likely to be racist idiots as the rest of the population

It's offensive and foolish to make such an assumption. Not everyone thinks in terms of race and class. This is about instituting policies to treat imaginary problems for political reasons.

What's imaginary? Oppression? Being passed up for a job, or not getting an opportunity because of one's race, or ethnicity?
  • Reply 50 of 112
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    What's imaginary? Oppression? Being passed up for a job, or not getting an opportunity because of one's race, or ethnicity?

You honestly believe Apple was guilty of those things before this? Those are phony concerns for Apple.
  • Reply 51 of 112

You honestly believe Apple was guilty of those things before this? Those are phony concerns for Apple.

I was speaking in general terms, not specifically about Apple. I cannot speak on what Apple has done in the past, but I commend them for what they're doing now. All this talk of qualifications is silly. The most seemingly qualified person doesn't guarantee that'll he/she will do the best job. For proof of that all we need to do is look at sports. Nobody thought Tom Brady would be a good NFL quarterback let alone win 4 Super Bowls. All he needed was a chance to prove himself, and he's done that in spades.
  • Reply 52 of 112
    I was speaking in general terms, not specifically about Apple. I cannot speak on what Apple has done in the past, but I commend them for what they're doing now. All this talk of qualifications is silly. The most seemingly qualified person doesn't guarantee that'll he/she will do the best job. For proof of that all we need to do is look at sports. Nobody thought Tom Brady would be a good NFL quarterback let alone win 4 Super Bowls. All he needed was a chance to prove himself, and he's done that in spades.

The Tom Brady example is just about the silliest and least relevant one might offer. How about a specific example of a so-called "oppressed minority" who was hired in the technology sector due to a progressive race-based hiring program and hit it big thanks to their otherwise unimaginable break. Surely there are dozens, if not hundreds of such examples thanks to politically inspired collectivist, racially tinged corporate practices.
  • Reply 53 of 112
    Good for Apple.

Is it though? Affirmative action policies like this have done arguably more harm than good to the minority. Hire the best person for the job regardless of race, gender, orientation, nationality, etc.
  • Reply 54 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What percentage qualifies as European? Michelle Rodriguez (Latina actress) came in as 73% European in her DNA results.

Good question. What makes a DNA strand 'European'? 

• Reply 55 of 112

The Tom Brady example is just about the silliest and least relevant one might offer. How about a specific example of a so-called "oppressed minority" who was hired in the technology sector due to a progressive race-based hiring program and hit it big thanks to their otherwise unimaginable break. Surely there are dozens, if not hundreds of such examples thanks to politically inspired collectivist, racially tinged corporate practices.

How are we ever going to know that?
  • Reply 56 of 112
    pembroke wrote: »

Ask a genetics expert of which I am not.
  • Reply 57 of 112

And therein lies the flaw of this politically correct Apple action. It's feel-good progressive pandering and intellectually dishonest garbage.
  • Reply 58 of 112
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

They analyze hundreds of thousands of data points in the segments within your chromosomes and match it to other records in their database which allows them to trace your family tree. 

Another interesting point is that Spanish speaking cultures always include the mother's maiden name at the end of the child's name thus greatly assisting in tracing a family tree.

• Reply 59 of 112
    I'm surprised and appalled by the number of people who automatically equate diversity with "lower standards" in hiring.
  • Reply 60 of 112

And therein lies the flaw of this politically correct Apple action. It's feel-good progressive pandering and intellectually dishonest garbage.

Who the hell are we that Apple has to justify their actions to us? Most of the hires are probably in retail, so we're not going to know how well they're doing. How are we ever going to know if a minority on the R&D dept came up with a great idea. Those people aren't paraded on stage, only the heads of the dept are.