Apple eyes former naval base in California to test 'Project Titan' self-driving car - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 144
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    atlapple wrote: »

I won't change the narrative. There is NO WAY Apple is making a car. Just like there is NO WAY Apple is going to make a TV. 

What narrative? What are you talking about?
  • Reply 22 of 144
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGT Shizzle View Post

That would be the Concord Naval Weapon Station, grew up right by it.

Quote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concord_Naval_Weapons_Station

Self-driving cars:

In October 2014, the Intelligent Transportation Society of America announced[11] that the Concord NWS would be used to test self-driving cars. According to CCTA[who?], "The public will not have access to the test site, and the self-driving cars will be restricted to the test bed site. With 2,100 acres of testing area and 19.6 miles of paved roadway, the CNWS is currently the largest secure test bed site in the United States". Mercedes-Benz is reported to have licenses to test new driving technology, including smart infrastructure such as traffic signals that talk with cars.

Edit: Found another interesting article

http://www.cityofconcord.org/about/citynews/releases/2014/10_01_2014.asp

• Reply 23 of 144
    For my money, how hard would it be to do some crazy stuff like this to just throw off the media. Bet they are working on it, but not how we think.
  • Reply 24 of 144
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post

I don't know how to feel about this. If Apple really thinks it can revolutionize the car industry, then yes give it a shot. If they want to get into the car business because they think that is where the growth will be,  that is not a good enough reason. It means Apple's DNA has changed.

They sell experience, not a product. Whatever extends an integrated user experience is up for grabs. The car experience in general have been pretty stale or a mish mash for decades, there is improvement there. Especially since driving soon won't be the main thing you do in a car.

• Reply 25 of 144
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

comparing cars to aliens. 

NEXT.

LOL. Is that what you took away from it. No it was more like you will believe just about anything when it comes to Apple. 

• Reply 26 of 144
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

What narrative? What are you talking about?

Talking about the little voice in his head... Which is always wrong.

• Reply 27 of 144
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

wanna bet?

12 month ban sounds good.

You can't afford any more bets. You're already going to have to ban yourself in 4.5 months. Between the stock and the apple watch we may never see you again.

• Reply 28 of 144
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

I don't think they're getting in the car business. I think they are working with a car company to create an autonomous car or cars that drive themselves.

Frankly I'm not sure I want a computer driven car. Or we'll have cars that can be hacked.

I am very much looking forward to an auto without a steering wheel, gear shift, pedals and dashboard. Just me, my iPad/iPhone and the ? auto.

No sarcasm intended.

• Reply 29 of 144
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Too little too late.

They have spent too much of the past, working as hard as they can just so Tim could walk out on stage and keep saying, "It's the the thinnest iPhone EVER!". (whoopty-doo).

Should have bought all of Detroit back in 2009. Now, they really are going to be playing catch-up.

I assumed you were being sarcastic, then checked your post history and found a ton of other childish "too little too late" bullshit, so I guess not. What a sad troll you are. 

Quote:

Forget it. Apple had their chance back when they declined to buy all the spectrum they could ever want at auction several years ago. They could have owned the the cell-waves, the same way they could have owned the automobile market if they had just bought the bankrupt Big Three.

etc etc. So Apple should just shit out a car for the hell of it, just to "get into the market", or buy out everyone else? Wow, what a sure road to success. You should ask Apple for an apology letter, for not releasing a car when you want them to. 

• Reply 30 of 144
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

I am very much looking forward to an auto without a steering wheel, gear shift, pedals and dashboard. 

Not me. I wouldn't mind if the car had autonomous driving abilities, but I like to drive which is why I drive BMW. They handle so well it is a real pleasure to do some recreational driving. City traffic on the other hand is not that enjoyable. The main reason I would not want to give up the ability to drive is because judging by how frustrating it is to get Siri to do what I want it would be a nightmare to try to explain why I want her to back the car into the driveway, on the left hand side, 3 meters from the garage door.

"Sorry M, did you mean my left or your left? And which back end? Also, we don't have any meters. This is what I found on the web."

• Reply 31 of 144
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Clearly Apple is much farther along than first rumored and the new Apple Car will be released concurrently with the iPhone 6S.  /s

• Reply 32 of 144
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

edit

• Reply 33 of 144

Good finds. 

It was an interesting area to grow up near, with the weapons that were stored there and a oil refinery right down the street, anything could have happened I suppose :\

• Reply 34 of 144
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Quote:

Too little too late.

They have spent too much of the past, working as hard as they can just so Tim could walk out on stage and keep saying, "It's the the thinnest iPhone EVER!". (whoopty-doo).

Should have bought all of Detroit back in 2009. Now, they really are going to be playing catch-up.

I assumed you were being sarcastic, then checked your post history and found a ton of other childish "too little too late" bullshit, so I guess not. What a sad troll you are. 

Quote:

Forget it. Apple had their chance back when they declined to buy all the spectrum they could ever want at auction several years ago. They could have owned the the cell-waves, the same way they could have owned the automobile market if they had just bought the bankrupt Big Three.

etc etc. So Apple should just shit out a car for the hell of it, just to "get into the market", or buy out everyone else? Wow, what a sure road to success. You should ask Apple for an apology letter, for not releasing a car when you want them to. 

Not a troll at all. Been here a lot longer than you. (and have always enjoyed most of your posts BTW). As an Apple based professional, I call it like I see it with Apple. I have been doing so since the early 1990's.

I actually just went and looked at my post history curious as to what you might see in them that sets you off. I got nuthin (?)

On the other hand, you might consider some medication to help with your anger.

• Reply 35 of 144
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member

Did anyone else see this fuzzy analyst rumor yesterday?

Quote:

It is very likely that Apple is working on some new device with the following characteristics:

• A device which is 27? to 50? Curved Glass somewhat resembling a car windshield or a curved display

• The whole surface area acts like an HUD (Heads Up Display)

• The various sensors are built right into the Glass

The plot thickens!

• Reply 36 of 144
    Quote:

In related news Tesla is running out of cash and can't borrow any more money.

So they sold more Tesla shares to keep the company afloat.  Mr Musk himself is putting his personal fortune on the line as collateral.

Looks like the great Elon Musk made a huge mistake.  He should have joined forces with Apple.

huge mistake? so you know more than what Elon knows?

• Reply 37 of 144
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Educated Speculation Department... AAPL buys or partners with MBLY
    I <3 my M Sport!
  • Reply 38 of 144
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

You can't afford any more bets. You're already going to have to ban yourself in 4.5 months. Between the stock and the apple watch we may never see you again.

Hey, I'll join him on the 15,000,000 Apple Watches in 12 months bet. I'm down to be perma-banned if that does not happen. That's how much confidence I have that they will easily reach that target. 

• Reply 39 of 144
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Apple is said to have been interested in the manufacturing of BMW's i3 series.

I theorize that Apple only went to BMW so that AppleInsider would stop using that godawful image of the Marc Newson car on every Apple Car story¡

sog35 wrote: »
    LOL.

Where are all the haters that said Apple was NEVER going to make a car.

LOL.

You lose again.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST! ARE YOU CAPABLE OF LEARNING THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ARTICLE AND AN ACTUAL PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT!

pdq2 wrote: »
    Did anyone else see this fuzzy analyst rumor yesterday?

The plot thickens!

If I were heading this project that would be a key component I'd be looking into. It's simply safer to look ahead of you then down or away. I would also be looking into making the steering wheel touch-sensitive, and do that typical Appley solution where they take multiple, complex existing elements and make them into a seamlessly integrated service that idiots will then say, "Well, that was obvious." For example, it will probably take a company like Apple to work out all the logistics for figuring out a safe and secure way to integrate autonomous automobiles into an existed wetware-controlled environment.
  • Reply 40 of 144
    Quote:

Not a troll at all. Been here a lot longer than you. (and have always enjoyed most of your posts BTW). As an Apple based professional, I call it like I see it with Apple. I have been doing so since the early 1990's.

I actually just went and looked at my post history curious as to what you might see in them that sets you off. I got nuthin (?)

On the other hand, you might consider some medication to help with your anger.

There was no anger in my post. Just trying to wrap my head around the absurdity of thinking Apple shouldn't bother with a car anymore (or any other new project or product) because it missed some magical, impossible launch window you just concocted out of thin air. 

It's great that you're an "Apple based professional". Doesn't mean I can't call you out on absurd statements. Oh, and that's for your advice on medication. Have never taken any, and don't plan to. You won't find a single person that knows me that will define me as an angry person. But again, thanks. It's too bad you can't stick to the topic instead of these kinds of attacks.