Apple to update Magic Mouse & wireless keyboard with Bluetooth LE, integrated batteries, FCC reveals

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited August 2015
Two newly published filings with the U.S. Federal Communications Commission reveal that Apple is planning to release a new Magic Mouse and wireless keyboard with support for the power sipping Bluetooth Low Energy specification.

The two new devices (1, 2) were revealed by the FCC on Friday, with accompanying documentation declaring that the hardware provided for testing "represents the final version of the equipment as it will be released to the market." They both feature Bluetooth 4.2 support with Bluetooth LE.

As noted by SlashGear, the filings also state that the new Magic Mouse and Apple Wireless Keyboard will feature integrated batteries and be rechargeable via USB. That's a change from the current hardware, both of which rely on user-replaceable AA batteries.

Conspicuously absent from the filings is Apple's Magic Trackpad, another wireless input device that relies on Bluetooth and currently uses AA batteries.

The FCC documents do not reveal when the new accessories might arrive, but given that they are meant primarily for use with Apple's desktop machines, it's likely that they would hit the market alongside the anticipated iMac refresh. Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities said earlier this month that he expects new iMacs to debut this quarter, which concludes at the end of September.

That would make the new iMacs and accompanying accessories candidates to be unveiled at Apple's anticipated Sept. 9 event, where the company is also expected to showcase its next-generation "iPhone 6s" and a revamped Apple TV with Siri voice controls and a dedicated App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 97
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    I don't mind the batteries being integrated as I'm sure the time between charges will be increased dramatically, but I didn't like reading they will changed via USB instead of induction charging. Not a big deal but I would have likely to have seen that.
  • Reply 2 of 97
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    I'd like to have wireless connection but corded so I could just leave it sitting on my desk and never plug/unplug anything , because that 10 seconds is a complete waste of my time. Maybe this will work as I could just leave in plugged in.
  • Reply 3 of 97
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Fix the goddamn chicklet keyboard keys going dead and making their value other than that of being recycled. I'm typing on a Bondie Gray USB 1.1 keyboard using a Linux Workstation. The damn thing works flawlessly to this day.

My stainless steel Apple keyboard full-size/extended went tits up just over 12 months after purchase.

It's a lovely looking useless POS.
  • Reply 4 of 97
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Will current iMacs take advantage of the better standard?
  • Reply 5 of 97

I'd like to see a numeric keypad integrated. I use them for accounting and recording grades.

• Reply 6 of 97
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    Fix the goddamn chicklet keyboard keys going dead and making their value other than that of being recycled. I'm typing on a Bondie Gray USB 1.1 keyboard using a Linux Workstation. The damn thing works flawlessly to this day.

My stainless steel Apple keyboard full-size/extended went tits up just over 12 months after purchase.

Mine have been in daily use for what, five years or so. No issues.
  • Reply 7 of 97
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    Once I started using the Magic Trackpad 3 years ago, I never want to look back at any other pointing device. I can't even imagine computing with a mouse anymore even if it's a Magic Mouse, of which I have three sitting on a shelf. I bought Magic Trackpads for myself, my mother, and my wife, and all of them much prefer the trackpad to the mouse.

There's just absolutely no comparison between the Magic Trackpad and the Magic Mouse. Using the Magic Trackpad does require one to learn the Apple's multitouch gestures, which only take a couple of hours to get used to. It's an extremely precise pointing device - much more precise than the Magic Mouse, and it has so many more features than the Magic Mouse does.

Hopefully, a Magic Trackpad with Bluetooth 4.2 (and perhaps with haptic feedback and Force Touch) will eventually be released. Alternatively, perhaps Apple baked some revolutionary tech into the new Magic Trackpad and requested that FCC not reveal the filing until the product is released to prevent Samsung from firing up their copiers now.
  • Reply 8 of 97
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [I]Please[/I], Apple, use a MagSafe 2 (or Lightning) so that we can charge while we use them/use them wired if we like. If you do that, I’ll buy another Magic Trackpad despite my current one working perfectly well.

And could you make a full size wireless keyboard again? I’m never buying a wireless keyboard otherwise.
  • Reply 9 of 97
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    spheric wrote: »

Read the reviews. It's a crap shoot.
  • Reply 10 of 97
    Agree with moving to induction, that would be nicer than having to plug in a cable. I would call for Apple to update the design of the Magic Mouse, it is a pain in the arse to use, so overly sensitive that it just does things when my fingers are just at the edges of the mouse and not even scrolling, so annoying. Wonder if the new keyboard will adopt the Macbook-style keys or stay with the existing ones?
  • Reply 11 of 97
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

Been using Apple keyboards for years and never had an issue. Why not contact Apple and get a replacement if you need? Did you change the batteries?
  • Reply 12 of 97
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    There's no Magic Trackpad in the FCC because they are coming out with a Force Touch Trackpad and requested the FCCto withhold disclosure.
  • Reply 13 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I have a stack of 6 or so of them fished out of the trash can at work, wired and wireless. Same problem, keys go bad, and they range from older models to new ones. They're always in good shape. If you have a computer under AppleCare, you can get them to replace it. On the other hand, the Dells that get thrown out are obviously due to wear or abuse (coffee).

• Reply 14 of 97
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spheric View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Read the reviews. It's a crap shoot.

Reviews are written by idiots with axes to grind. Paying attention to any review is nonsense. I don’t and I also don’t count Google ‘hits.’ You only hear from the clueless when it comes to anecdotal reports about issues.

• Reply 15 of 97
    And could you make a full size wireless keyboard again? I’m never buying a wireless keyboard otherwise.
    They might. With the move to get rid of the USB-A ports on the MacBook (which will probably eventually spread to the other machines), and with the machine having only one port, it makes sense to move away from things that use USB if they don't have to be. I'm crossing my fingers for both keyboards to become Bluetooth, and for the third parties to follow suit (Logitech just came out with Bluetooth capability in their high-end mice for the first time in ages, which is a really hopeful sign).
  • Reply 16 of 97
    Please, Apple, use a MagSafe 2 (or Lightning) so that we can charge while we use them/use them wired if we like. If you do that, I’ll buy another Magic Trackpad despite my current one working perfectly well.

I don't see MagSafe, although I could see a magnetic charger if it's conduction charging (which would also make the device look more sleek and seamless). Lightning could work fine, but I think I'm leaning slightly more toward USB-C.
  • Reply 17 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Durandal1707 View Post

With the move to get rid of the USB-A ports on the MacBook (which will probably eventually spread to the other machines), and with the machine having only one port, it makes sense to move away from things that use USB if they don't have to be.

The education market always uses wired keyboards and mice, because its a time and money sink to manage batteries in a computer lab, and the cord keeps the devices from being stolen. Then you have the corporate market who has the same problem, and on top of that may require wired keyboards for security reasons. So it's likely that Apple will always have a set of wired devices.

• Reply 18 of 97
    Here's your wireless keyboard....that you have to plug in with a wire.

Gee, thanks Apple.
  • Reply 19 of 97
    Here's your wireless keyboard....that you have to plug in with a wire.

Gee, thanks Apple.

Um, you know that some point pretty much everyone is "plugging" something in to make their wireless keyboards, mice and trackpads work. Up through today that's been the AA batteries, and it's clear that finding a coin or a key to unscrew the battery port to remove the batteries to place into the charger (or through away), and then reverse that process is a fair bit more annoying than popping in a plug once every couple months.
  • Reply 20 of 97
    konqerror wrote: »
    The education market always uses wired keyboards and mice, because its a time and money sink to manage batteries in a computer lab, and the cord keeps the devices from being stolen. Then you have the corporate market who has the same problem, and on top of that may require wired keyboards for security reasons. So it's likely that Apple will always have a set of wired devices.
    Apple doesn't have a full set of wired devices right now; neither the Magic Mouse nor the Magic Trackpad come in wired varieties. I don't think it's too "out there" to speculate that the keyboards may follow suit.

I can see how that might be a problem with computer labs, but the thing about that is that there's a huge abundance of third-party wired keyboards out there that can be used in situations where such things are required. By contrast, there isn't a single full-size Bluetooth keyboard out there currently that isn't a complete PoS, so a new entry by Apple in this market would be a welcome change.
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Um, you know that some point pretty much everyone is "plugging" something in to make their wireless keyboards, mice and trackpads work. Up through today that's been the AA batteries, and it's clear that finding a coin or a key to unscrew the battery port to remove the batteries to place into the charger (or through away), and then reverse that process is a fair bit more annoying than popping in a plug once every couple months.
    It's kinda nice to be able to have a spare set of Eneloops around, so that once the old batteries run out you can just pop in a fresh set and be done in seconds instead of having to use the keyboard wired for the duration of time it takes to charge. It also means the device has a near-infinite lifespan, as opposed to the integrated battery that always ends up losing its ability to hold a charge after a few years (so you have to pop a plug every couple days instead of months). I never found it too inconvenient to use a coin to open the compartment (and if you do, there are of course other ways to design a battery compartment as well).

Of course, if we finally get the ability to actually have a good full-size BT keyboard, I'll buy one no matter what battery they use.