• Reply 21 of 30
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    slurpy wrote: »
    The app looks hideous.

Really?
  • Reply 22 of 30
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    homekit is a value add for the Apple ecosystem, it would make no sense to open source it to android users. none.

also, Apple is not the single device manufacturer -- many manufacturers can, do, and will make devices that leverage this single protocol.

Did you read his comment?
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Was excited until seeing the price. I have a few belkin wemo devices in my house, outlets and light switches, that I've been happy with. Being able to use Siri to control would be nice but not nice enough to replace the devices I have. Disappointed the review just mentionesusage/history but doesn't show any examples or details. That is more intreging to me that Siri support.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

The app looks hideous.

Geez. Really? I think the app looks totally fine. It's simple and uncluttered.

• Reply 25 of 30
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    I've no idea what to use this for
  • Reply 26 of 30
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    The amazon link takes you to the product for sale at $49. 20% markup over retail? There are other sellers with it for $39. I wonder why the author linked to the most expensive instance of this device? Could this article actually be an advertisement? At a minimum, it's irresponsible to send your readers to a link where they pay an extra $10 for no good reason if they aren't savvy or careful. I wonder if GizmosForLife (the seller that this article links to) is operated by Kasper's Automated Slave.

In any case, I'll pass. In 3-4 months, there will be 50 companies making these things, and you'll be able to get 2-packs for $15.

And on the official site, the cost is $39. http://www.ihomeaudio.com/iSP5WC/
  • Reply 27 of 30
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    roake wrote: »
    The amazon link takes you to the product for sale at $49. 20% markup over retail? There are other sellers with it for $39. I wonder why the author linked to the most expensive instance of this device? Could this article actually be an advertisement? At a minimum, it's irresponsible to send your readers to a link where they pay an extra $10 for no good reason if they aren't savvy or careful. I wonder if GizmosForLife (the seller that this article links to) is operated by Kasper's Automated Slave.

In any case, I'll pass. In 3-4 months, there will be 50 companies making these things, and you'll be able to get 2-packs for $15.

And on the official site, the cost is $39. http://www.ihomeaudio.com/iSP5WC/
    That Amazon link is sold by a reseller, gizmosforlife. When they loaded it into Amazon they're the ones listing the price. Amazon's algorithms should knock it down once it gets listed by others or sold in other retailers.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    Can you elaborate on the Siri ambiguity, what's outlined in the article and screen shots didn't seem ambiguous to me.

i.e. replying with the words "outlet" doesn't really create ambiguity since from the interaction it's clear which outlet is being addressed.

I think however it would be wise to not name devices too similarly or voice recognition slip ups might lead to turning on/off the wrong devices.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    vmarks wrote: »
    You toggle this with Siri or it's own app.

I agree, unlocking the phone, opening the app, tapping on the switch is about two steps too many. Holding down the home button and telling Siri is not all bad. If you need a Mac hotkey, you need some other product.

But you should be able to program the WeMO with some scripting - their API is relatively open, they work with Amazon Echo...
    Taking about Amazon's Echo they apparently are pairing up with Smart Things as shown in this video. Pretty cool and convenient if it works as demo'd. [@]SolipsismY[/@] may like it.

[VIDEO]

EDIT: Scratch "apparently". They definitely have. Here's the press release.
    http://blog.smartthings.com/featured/alexa-turn-on-my-smartthings/
  • Reply 30 of 30
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Taking about Amazon's Echo they apparently are pairing up with Smart Things as shown in this video. Pretty cool and convenient if it works as demo'd. @SolipsismY may like it.

EDIT: Scratch "apparently". They definitely have. Here's the press release.

http://blog.smartthings.com/featured/alexa-turn-on-my-smartthings/

Why must everyone's demo look like crap?

In no world would a normal person plug a bulb or two bulbs into a power strip.

I mean, I guess they're showing you can do it and it's not using anything special. I still would have made a box with wall outlets in receptacles.