Dr. Dre's 'Compton' album hits 25M streams on Apple Music in first week

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65

I read them before as well and while basically I have nothing against using irony, cynicism, provocation and similar to emphasize the point you're trying to make (VNV Nation's Cold Rated R Mix; Totmacher by Wumpscut, LætherStrip's many songs etc.) this is just to me the overall "everything is bad and where have to the good times gone" complaint, and this particular line to me feel like lacking deeper sense. But maybe youth of today needs such language so that even something arrives...

Then one thing, however, that gives me a hard time in finding a "real message" is that to my knowledge there was never a true "conversion" from "Saulus to paulus" in the sense that he regretted some of the lesser cool things from his past. No cred, pity.

• Reply 22 of 65
    pembrokepembroke Posts: 230member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

I read them before as well and while basically I have nothing against using irony, cynicism, provocation and similar to emphasize the point you're trying to make (VNV Nation's Cold Rated R Mix; Totmacher by Wumpscut, LætherStrip's many songs etc.) this is just to me the overall "everything is bad and where have to the good times gone" complaint, and this particular line to me feel like lacking deeper sense. But maybe youth of today needs such language so that even something arrives...

Then one thing, however, that gives me a hard time in finding a "real message" is that to my knowledge there was never a true "conversion" from "Saulus to paulus" in the sense that he regretted some of the lesser cool things from his past. No cred, pity.

I'm afraid there are a number of references in your response that I don't recognise. But that being the unfortunate case, if I may refer to your comment "But maybe youth of today needs such language so that even something arrives...". 

I say, "Really?" If the answer is, "yes", I say "how sad, isn't it a sign of debasement and brutality -  a loss of deportment, like a complete mindless hippy-loving anarchic free for all".

Did it all start with: "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with" (i.e., regardless of that one's virtues or lack thereof). Was that the slope on which we have slid to 'Medicine Man'? Where discriminating between virtues and vices is inappropriate and insensitive? 

I'd just like to say that I enjoy irony and provocation to think out of the box ... but this lyric doesn't come across as clever, just an insolent rant, as you say, that everything is crap. But using the term 'bitches' for women in general? What term is used for women who actually are bitches? 

First it was Elvis' hips, then the Beatles long hair, and now ... "I even make the bitches I rape cum"? From an Apple Inc officer? Is there no line that can't be crossed?

• Reply 23 of 65
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Well, if I earned $600,000 in a week, I'd think that would be good. I guess it's all relative. And I suppose you also have to account for the fact that he earns that all up front and he's not going to earn $600,000 every single week (most likely, anyway).

I'm just curious if my assumed numbers are accurate and if that's good for its debut week.

According to the NYT, it's so-so. Figures.

I won't even bother with a link. What a churlish reporter.
  • Reply 24 of 65
    shighshigh Posts: 27member
    tyler82 wrote: »
    Lest we forget Sir Dre PhD brutally assaulted a female TV show host. [Dre] "picked her up" and "began slamming her face and the right side of her body repeatedly against a wall near the stairway" as his bodyguard held off the crowd. After Dre tried and failed to throw her down the stairs, he began kicking her in the ribs before chasing her into the women's bathroom and donkey punching her a few times for good measure. 

So much for Apple's pro- woman stance!
    That was a while back. Lest we forget bringing up the past only makes for a distorted view of the future.
  • Reply 25 of 65
    pembrokepembroke Posts: 230member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shigh View Post

That was a while back. Lest we forget bringing up the past only makes for a distorted view of the future.

> Can you substantiate that? 

• Reply 26 of 65
    "Apple exec releases rap album, debuts at #2 on the Billboard charts..." Would've been a better headline ????
  • Reply 27 of 65
    jax44jax44 Posts: 79member
    pembroke wrote: »

I'm afraid there are a number of references in your response that I don't recognise. But that being the unfortunate case, if I may refer to your comment "But maybe youth of today needs such language so that even something arrives...". 

I say, "Really?" If the answer is, "yes", I say "how sad, isn't it a sign of debasement and brutality -  a loss of deportment, like a complete mindless hippy-loving anarchic free for all".

Did it all start with: "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with" (i.e., regardless of that one's virtues or lack thereof). Was that the slope on which we have slid to 'Medicine Man'? Where discriminating between virtues and vices is inappropriate and insensitive? 

I'd just like to say that I enjoy irony and provocation to think out of the box ... but this lyric doesn't come across as clever, just an insolent rant, as you say, that everything is crap. But using the term 'bitches' for women in general? What term is used for women who actually are bitches? 

First it was Elvis' hips, then the Beatles long hair, and now ... "I even make the bitches I rape cum"? From an Apple Inc officer? Is there no line that can't be crossed?

I believe that line is from Eminem, he is singing it and likely wrote it.
  • Reply 28 of 65
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    shigh wrote: »

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/55ccb19de4b0cacb8d331bf8?

Oh, I don't know if 1991 was really that long ago. Most of us have managed to make it through our entire adult lives without assaulting anyone... not many of us end up billionaires or working for Apple.
  • Reply 29 of 65
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    What's hip hop? Is it a form of dance or music? I know rock 'n roll, country and folk .. and that that thing where they just talk .. rap .. which i always switch stations when it comes on .... that's about it. :)
  • Reply 30 of 65
    http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/55ccb19de4b0cacb8d331bf8?

Oh, I don't know if 1991 was really that long ago. Most of us have managed to make it through our entire adult lives without assaulting anyone... not many of us end up billionaires or working for Apple.
    20 years ago qualifies as a while ago to me
  • Reply 31 of 65
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Are you under 30 years old? And are you a billionaire or working at Apple? ????
  • Reply 32 of 65
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    What's hip hop? Is it a form of dance or music? I know rock 'n roll, country and folk .. and that that thing where they just talk .. rap .. which i always switch stations when it comes on .... that's about it. :)

The term 'hip hop' is misused nowadays. It was originally the name for the sub-culture created by black, and Latino youths in NYC during the late 70s-80s. It included rap music, freestyle music (Latin hip hop), breaking dancing, graffiti, and DJing.
  • Reply 33 of 65

1991seems like it was yesterday to me.
  • Reply 34 of 65
    Im a few years over 30 and what does working at apple have to do with it? Oh thats right they must be held to a higher standard for some reason.
  • Reply 35 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

So you think all media that references violence against women should not be on Apple iTunes?

So Apple should remove The Help, Fried Green Tomatoes, Roots, Goodfather, Cider House rules, Gone with the Wind ect from iTunes?

I don't listen to rap music but lets not hold two standards for music and for movies.

If you don't realize it Dr Dre is simply playing a role in his songs.  Like how an actor can play a role of being a violent man who beats his wife.  That does not mean he's a wife beater in real life.  So if Tom Hanks played a wife beater in a movie that would make him unfit to be an Apple executive?  Really?  You need to learn to seperate reality from fiction.  

I think you might underestimate the power of a role elevated to a role model for followers.

But doing it for the green seems to justify all kind of what usually would be referred to a misbehavior.

People tend to not think about the consequences of their behavior (, or are not consequent).

And everyone can make his own choice about what you like, or dislike. And as an artist what your lyrics are, and what not.

The question of "crossing the line" is no objective one, I suppose. For some the use of "f*ck" is not appropriate, for others, the lyrics above cross the line, and then again for others they are possibly fun and harmless.

Again, everyone has to decide for himself, what "rol" (s)he plays, what "image" and values (s)he wishes to convey. 

Personally, I do not think you can pinpoint to someone committing rape or similar exclusively due to the lyrics of the songs. Like artists, also consumers have to take their decisions themselves. However, rich or not, changed, or not, being a role playing Platon, or not, I would not appreciate someone playing/being such a "role" in my house, or near my family, thank you.

• Reply 36 of 65
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    The term 'hip hop' is misused nowadays. It was originally the name for the sub-culture created by black, and Latino youths in NYC during the late 70s-80s. It included rap music, freestyle music (Latin hip hop), breaking dancing, graffiti, and DJing.

So I'm guessing Julio Iglesias doesn't qualify? ;)
  • Reply 37 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

So I'm guessing Julio Iglesias doesn't qualify? image

Not even his son ;-)

• Reply 38 of 65
    ibanksibanks Posts: 10member
    According to the NYT, it's so-so. Figures.

I won't even bother with a link. What a churlish reporter.

I think some people are really missing the actual good of this. Considering that Apple Music has 11 Million trial subscribers and the album was only exclusive on Apple Music for the first week, at 25 Million streams that's awesome. That's double the number of streams than current subscribers. And think of how it's not available on Spotify or Rhapsody and then all of the Android users whom can't access Apple Music just yet. And not to mention the bootleggers that downloaded the torrent of the album. This is great success for his album in a week. Some artist can't even get 1 Million streams in a month.
  • Reply 39 of 65

Not even his son ;-)

He has a son? ;)
  • Reply 40 of 65
    So I'm guessing Julio Iglesias doesn't qualify? ;)

Not even his son ;-)

I'm partial to Melanie Iglesias, but maybe because she's a distant cousin of mine, and no I can't introduce you because I've never met her. :lol:400