Apple might be 'named and shamed' in Australia for avoiding taxes

Comments

• Reply 61 of 96
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    It so juvenile when law makers point fingers at others for their ownfailure.

No one is breaking any laws...
    Deal with it... Or change the law!
  • Reply 62 of 96
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Hey, I just found this sweet legal loophole that enables me to make money hand over fist while my neighbour works his ass off and pays way more tax than I do. I guess I could put my resources in play by helping fix the breaks in the system, but where's the fun in that when I could exploit it for personal gain? I'm doing nothing wrong!

Also I'm unfaithful towards my girlfriend, I'm a terrible father, a drunk, and I cheat at Words With Friends, but if it ain't illegal, **** it!
  • Reply 63 of 96
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

So let me understand this.

Apple does its due diligence by finding a way to LEGALLY spend less in taxes and they are supposed to be "ashamed?" That's called being smart. And good stewardship over its resources.

LOL Australia. That's laughing AT the government. Not WITH them.

Apple does nothing wrong. Therefore, it needs not be ashamed but rather should be proud for its diligence in managing its money so effectively. And within legal bounds mind you.

If Australia wants something different, how about you follow apples lead in finding solutions. Not just acting like children to make someone feel bad for no reason.

Time to update your tax laws. Then from that point forward, you can apply them from that point forward. and no retroactive shenanigans either. Because Apple abode by the current law.

The Australian government has a long history of imposing retrospective taxation, often with a large penalty premium added, where it identifies deliberate and knowing tax avoidance.  I know someone who was caught out retrospectively and had to sell their house to settle their tax bill.

I completely agree that the Australian government should fix the tax laws to prevent the rorting that goes on, but I wouldn't be opposed to them retrospectively clawing taxes back.

• Reply 64 of 96
    nousernouser Posts: 65member

I bet you take tax deductions on your personal income tax too.  What kind of idiot would do such a shameful thing?  If you were paying your fair share, instead of taking those exemptions and deductions, everything would suddenly be all right in the world.  You know, there would be no poverty, no wars and we all would be living in utopia. Give the government more of your money, that will fix everything.  It always has in the past so we can expect it to continue, right?

• Reply 65 of 96
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Just nonsense. (Neither left- nor right-wing.)

Do you know why Apple's prices are higher in Europe and Australia? And, is Apple the only CE maker whose prices are higher in Europe and Australia?

The two things that spring to mind are hedging against currency fluctuations and that US prices are usually quoted ex-sales tax whereas European and Australian prices include VAT/GST.

I know B&W speakers are cheaper in the US than anywhere else.  I wouldn't really know about about other CE brands.

• Reply 66 of 96
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nouser View Post

I bet you take tax deductions on your personal income tax too.  What kind of idiot would do such a shameful thing?  If you were paying your fair share, instead of taking those exemptions and deductions, everything would suddenly be all right in the world.  You know, there would be no poverty, no wars and we all would be living in utopia. Give the government more of your money, that will fix everything.  It always has in the past so we can expect it to continue, right?

If you gain those tax deductions by gaming the system through international holding companies to income shift huge amounts of money away from the revenue service, then yes, I'd say that's pretty shameful.  

Accepting deductions that are part of government endorsed savings and investment schemes is hardly the same thing as operating in a vacuum where government policy and the international financial system meet and fail to gel into fair practice.

And I don't qualify for many deductions anyway.  Mainly just the universal ones, personal allowance, pension contributions, that kinda stuff.  

Oh, I once bought a bike on a government sponsored cycle to work scheme, does that make me the boogie man?

• Reply 67 of 96
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    crowley wrote: »
    If you gain those tax deductions by gaming the system through international holding companies to income shift huge amounts of money away from the revenue service, then yes, I'd say that's pretty shameful.  

Accepting deductions that are part of government endorsed savings and investment schemes is hardly the same thing as operating in a vacuum where government policy and the international financial system meet and fail to gel into fair practice.

And I don't qualify for many deductions anyway.  Mainly just the universal ones, personal allowance, pension contributions, that kinda stuff.  

Oh, I once bought a bike on a government sponsored cycle to work scheme, does that make me the boogie man?

And I'm sure you have all the receipts to your charitable contributions. And if you don't donate to charities, what's wrong with you. It's shameful you don't donate more money to charities. Perhaps we need a shame list for that. It's only fair you donate your fair share.
  • Reply 68 of 96

^ I donate to lots of charities; I try to keep it at least 20% of my regular monthly outgoings, not including spur of the moment donations.  I could always give more, it is true, but is that really your point?  Pretty facile.  We're talking about Apple here.

• Reply 69 of 96
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    yojimbo007 wrote: »
    It so juvenile when law makers point fingers at others for their ownfailure.

No one is breaking any laws...
    Deal with it... Or change the law!
    Australian tax law has for a long time had an "if it looks like a duck" clause: Part IVA. I don't recall how many teeth the anti avoidance provisions are but it would seem a real stretch to set up a super fancy operation in a jurisdiction, then make pennies on the dollar profit in that jurisdiction because your wholesale price is almost the retail price of the product as it is sold to you from an "arms length" supplier.

If it smells like shit you should probably check your shoes.

The tax law doesn't need to be fixed here. It simply needs to be prosecuted.
  • Reply 70 of 96
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    How can we just say no if we're voluntarily complying? ;)

So said Harry Reid.
  • Reply 71 of 96
    Hey, I just found this sweet legal loophole that enables me to make money hand over fist while my neighbour works his ass off and pays way more tax than I do. I guess I could put my resources in play by helping fix the breaks in the system, but where's the fun in that when I could exploit it for personal gain? I'm doing nothing wrong!

Also I'm unfaithful towards my girlfriend, I'm a terrible father, a drunk, and I cheat at Words With Friends, but if it ain't illegal, **** it!

You forgot to mention that you're also a liar.
  • Reply 72 of 96
    ^ I donate to lots of charities; I try to keep it at least 20% of my regular monthly outgoings, not including spur of the moment donations.  I could always give more, it is true, but is that really your point?  Pretty facile.  We're talking about Apple here.

Only 20%? Not 50%?
  • Reply 73 of 96
    You forgot to mention that you're also a liar.
    I should think that in this case, it would be obvious and intentional. That's satire folks!
  • Reply 74 of 96
    Only 20%? Not 50%?
    I don't claim to be a saint, I do what I feel is reasonable. I'm not a rich person.

If you think this is a point worth pursuing, how much of your income do you give to charity?
  • Reply 75 of 96
    I should think that in this case, it would be obvious and intentional. That's satire folks!

Obvious to whom?
  • Reply 76 of 96
    Obvious to whom?
    Everyone reading it I would hope. Or did you honestly think I was confessing to being a cheating drunk who cheats at word games?
  • Reply 77 of 96
    Everyone reading it I would hope. Or did you honestly think I was confessing to being a cheating drunk who cheats at word games?

Are you telling me you didn't detect my sarcasm?
  • Reply 78 of 96
    Are you telling me you didn't detect my sarcasm?
    Normally sarcasm has a point. I'm not getting your point, so I couldn't be sure there was sarcasm.

Are you just randomly calling me a liar for no particular reason?
  • Reply 79 of 96
    ????????
  • Reply 80 of 96
    djsherly wrote: »
    Australian tax law has for a long time had an "if it looks like a duck" clause: Part IVA. I don't recall how many teeth the anti avoidance provisions are but it would seem a real stretch to set up a super fancy operation in a jurisdiction, then make pennies on the dollar profit in that jurisdiction because your wholesale price is almost the retail price of the product as it is sold to you from an "arms length" supplier.

If it smells like shit you should probably check your shoes.

The tax law doesn't need to be fixed here. It simply needs to be prosecuted.

If the law allows it .. Its legal...
    Change the law so it wont be subject to individual inteprtation and subject to individual judgment ! ( of what a duck is )
    Simple.