Qualcomm still modem supplier for 'iPhone 6s,' but could cede some orders to Intel in 2017, rumor sa

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2015
Qualcomm is still the only official modem supplier for new iPhones shipping next month, although Intel could start taking up orders in 2017, a report said on Tuesday.

Qualcomm is partnering with TSMC to build modems for this year's iPhones, using the latter's 20-nanometer process, sources claimed to DigiTimes. The people argued that Intel is unlikely to win any orders for 2015 or 2016, but that it could become a supplier for 2017 iPhones as Apple is looking for additional modem providers.

The report comes in response to a memo by Northland Capital Markets analyst Gus Richard, who recently said that Intel may have won as much as half of the modem orders for next-generation iPhones. Apple has been considering an Intel modem "for a while," Richard added.

DigiTimes has a mixed track record when it comes to Apple hardware, but could have some insight as it's primarily focused on the supply sector.

Apple is expected to ship at least two new iPhones next month, leading with devices known as the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus. Apple might also ship an "iPhone 6c," which if it exists might sport the specifications of the iPhone 6 in a device the size of the iPhone 5s. Regardless, a press event is rumored for Sept. 9, followed by a launch on Sept. 18.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    DigiTimes.. ROFL!

Nuff said.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    The analyst hopes Intel wins part of the supply. This is being rumored to help Intel look good and is similar to Samsung rumors get floated. The analyst purposely forgot that Intel was an Apple supplier that chose to not indemnify Apple from a Samsung patent infringement lawsuit. This lack of protection is just one reason I hope Apple does not include Intel in its supply chain.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Just in the final paragraph I read, "is expected%u2026 at least%u2026 known as%u2026 might also%u2026 if it exists%u2026 might%u2026 Regardless%u2026 is rumored%u2026"

I'm considering my first ever smartphone purchase... but you guys are playing around with my expectations!
  • Reply 4 of 5

Qualcomm is going to be around until Verizon, Sprint and their roaming partners have 100% VoLTE coverage, which for Sprint is said to be in the 2017 timeframe. Simple.

• Reply 5 of 5
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member

Most reports pointed to Apple picking up some portion of intel modem XMM 7360, modem in 2016 for iphone 7 release. Even few mentioned 2015 iphone 6s so 2017 timeline is past-time. Apple wants multiple partners in supply chain. Including intel leverages pricing power on Qualcom.