Square Cash quick mobile money transfers come to Apple Watch

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited August 2015
Square on Tuesday released a new version of its Square Cash iPhone app, bringing the platform's quick money transfers to the Apple Watch.

The Watch version of the app concentrates on sending money to top contacts. It highlights nearby contacts at the top of the list, and also identifies any recent interactions.

After choosing a person to send money to, users must then enter the amount to pay in increments of $1, $2, $5, $10, $20, or $100. Payments can be sent via email, text, or Bluetooth, although the last option requires the person to be in close range.

The Watch app can also display payment requests, in which case tapping "Pay" will authorize the transfer automatically.

Square Cash is similar in concept to services like PayPal, letting users pay friends and businesses via online transfers. One difference is that money is deposited directly into a bank account, although only debit cards from Visa, Discover, or MasterCard can be linked to send or receive transfers.

The iPhone app is a free download and requires iOS 7 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    undefined
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    My bank offers the same service without the need for another app.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    While I love my apple watch this is just stupid. Why would you want to do this? To show people "hey I'm sending you money right away" when in debt? But I guess i should complain. I love my computing train-app, and I guess this would be useful if you could photo the number of people's account.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mangakatten View Post

While I love my apple watch this is just stupid. Why would you want to do this? To show people "hey I'm sending you money right away" when in debt? But I guess i should complain. I love my computing train-app, and I guess this would be useful if you could photo the number of people's account.

Here's a legitimate scenario for use of this service:

You get a text: "Hey. Where are you?"

You: "The store."

Other: "If I send you some cash, can you pick up a couple things for me?"...

The idea of people sending others money isn't because they're in debt. My mom frequently sends money to me via PayPal to pick up things at the store for her. My one cousin who lives 200 miles away has sent money to me via PayPal to help out her son who lives nearby.

• Reply 5 of 5

Yes, of course. But why would you want to do this on your Apple Watch? Advanced things should be done on your iPhone. I see the use of Apple Watch Apps as something you could do casually without grabbing your phone, at a meeting for example. People make lots of worthless apps "just because you can". I'm sure that in one or two years time we gonna see lots of inovative things on the Apple Watch that isn't just controling your iPhone.