Parents on a budget turning to certified used iPhones & iPads this back-to-school season

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    auxio wrote: »

All of the people here who are complaining that this "article" is really an advertisement in disguise.  The entire media industry in North America (and in pretty much all capitalist societies) is built on funding from advertising, and most media has embedded product placements or other hidden (or not hidden in the case of this article) ways to sell you things.  Most of us already know and understand this, so why do we need a whole (derailed) discussion about it?

What's your point? I know the crew at AppleInsider must get paid. I know they run a business. I'm pro-free-market capitalism. I'm also pro-disclosure. Such disclosure has been made here. So, I ask again... what is your point?
  • Reply 22 of 64
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What's your point? I know the crew at AppleInsider must get paid. I know they run a business. I'm pro-free-market capitalism. I'm also pro-disclosure. Such disclosure has been made here. So, I ask again... what is your point?

Did you completely skip over the first half dozen or so posts in this thread?  That's my point.  If you took the time to follow the discussion, you'd realize I'm on the same side as you.

• Reply 23 of 64
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Compare profit margins on just iPhones. You have no idea what Gazelle's company wide profit margin is because they sell more than just used iPhones.

I think they also simply take electronics that are not resellable for recycling. There's also a cost associated with that.
  • Reply 24 of 64

Did you completely skip over the first half dozen or so posts in this thread?  That's my point.

I'm not seeing it.
  • Reply 25 of 64
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

I’m surprised this report isn’t generating ‘Apple is Doomed™’ claims.

• Reply 26 of 64
    lkrupp wrote: »
    I’m surprised this report isn’t generating ‘Apple is Doomed™’ claims.

They're still Doomed™.
  • Reply 27 of 64
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:

I'm pro-free-market capitalism. I'm also pro-disclosure.

In a truly free market, wouldn't it be up to the media source to decide whether to disclose their funding sources?  If not, then you would need a law in place in order to force them to disclose, which is no longer free market since companies which don't want to disclose aren't allowed to be part of the market.  Obviously individuals like yourself can ask them to disclose, and can choose not to view media sources which don't, but they're in no way obligated to do so in a free market.

• Reply 28 of 64
    In a truly free market, wouldn't it be up to the media source to decide whether to disclose their funding sources?  If not, then you would need a law in place in order to force them to disclose, which is no longer free market since companies which don't want to disclose aren't allowed to be part of the market.  Obviously individuals like yourself can ask them to disclose, and can choose not to view media sources which don't, but they're in no way obligated to do so in a free market.

This is why I raise these issues. Again, I'm in favor of people being able to make money and I'm in favor of advertisers paying the bills so we can all enjoy a "free" service.
  • Reply 29 of 64
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Just because someone is willing to pay a price does not mean it isn't a ripoff.

Actually it does. If you're willing to buy at a given price when it's not an essential good being sold in a monopolistic way (read: you can't get it elsewhere and your life depends on this product) then the good is worth exactly what the customer is willing to pay for it.
    Gazelle makes 50% gross margins for just buying and selling.
    Apple makes 60% gross margins for CREATING the iPhone.

That seems ridiculous to me.

Lots of your comments sound ridiculous to me but you keep writing stupid shit. Your point?
    You case of the broken camera is probabily 1 in 1000.  NO lost to gazelle.  Especially since the other 999 phones are sold with 50% gross margin.

Maybe it is 1/1000 but it's still a cost to Gazelle as they need to replace the component after testing the device, then opening up the device, removing the part, replacing the part, putting the iPhone back together, and then testing it again before it can be ready for sale. Of course, that assumes they do any testing whatsoever and by your comments about such things being 1/1000 if it's run by someone like you they can probably ignore anything reliability testing and just sell the item. **** those 1 in a 1000 people, right?¡

Bottom line: If you don't like what they offer to buy your devices then go somewhere else. If you don't like what they want to sell you a product then go somewhere else. If what they buy or sell isn't priced properly they will lose to other forces in a free market. In fact, this is a prime opportunity for sogazelle.com to buy iPhones at higher prices and sell them to others at lower prices while still making a huge net profit (according to you).
  • Reply 30 of 64
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member

• Reply 31 of 64
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:

All I have ever asked is that disclosure be made when conflicts of interest arise. Disclosure has been made.

While true, the headline is designed to get shared like an article while it is clearly an advertisement for a sponsor, directly paid or not.

-kpluck

• Reply 32 of 64
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Who are you to determine how others mark up their product? If you don't like it, don't buy it. That's how it works.
  • Reply 33 of 64
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Gazelle only pays $175 for a used perfect condition 5S.

Then they turn around and sell it for $409.

Gazelle pays about $15 for shipping.
    Advertising/Website probabily cost about $5 per phone.
    Testing probibily cost $2 per phone (hire a dude $15 a hour and he can check 8-10 phones an hour)

No cost for repairs since its in perfect condition.
    Another $10 for handling and shipping the good to new buyer.

So direct admin cost is about $32
    Indirect admin cost is about $10 more

Sell price - $409
    Phone cost - $175
    Admin cost - $42
    Net profit - $192
    Net profit margin - 47%

That is INSANELY high!!!

47% profit margin.

Keep in mind Apple's company wide profit margin is only 25%

So a company like Apple that takes MASSIVE RISKS and MASSIVE INNOVATION makes 25% profit margin.
    While a company that just buys and sells phones makes 47% profit margin?

I mean WTF.

I agree, your completely made up guesstimates that omit large parts of the company's operating expenses and overheads are absolutely outrageous!
  • Reply 34 of 64
    This is the future on online advertising.

When iOS allows ad-block we will see more ads that disguise themself as articles.

I actually have ZERO problem with this. I like this MUCH MUCH MUCH better than POS popup ads, video's that play automatically, or redirects to App STore.

If you read the article heading its pretty obvious its an ad.

I was about the say the same thing. I prefer sponsored articles over pop-up ads. Flash ads and now malware infected ad networks are huge headache, particularly when it obstructs content with pop-over layers that force you to dismiss it, or interstitial ads that make you wait 5 seconds to close it. I hate that. If I can't access content without such a sour experience, then I guess I won't access that content at all--I've abandoned plenty of mainstream sites that do crap like that.
  • Reply 35 of 64
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Gazelle is offering $480 for my unlocked 64GB 6+

Damn.

$370 depreciation in one year.

I'll offer you $1 for it. Sorry, it is now $849 depreciation in one year.

Your fancy, new, still-newest-model iPhone will only depreciate that amount if you are a bonehead and accept my stupid offer. As a seller you would need to get your best selling value by doing some leg work and find a buyer willing to pay a more fair value for it. As a buyer I'll do my best and try to find a more reasonable value from a better seller. If both of us want to be lazy and/or take very little risk we can both use Gazelle.

• Reply 36 of 64
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I usually buy goldfish in a pond shop.

I buy Koi there.

• Reply 37 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'd agree but I'd prefer such articles are marked as 'sponsored', perhaps with an icon too. I don't mind reading those, that like this are of genuine interest to me, and can skip those that are not. Pop ups and flash ads are a total no no for me. Some sites are unusable on an iPad, no I take that back ... MOST sites are unusable on an iPad where i don't have Ad Blocker. I know I can use Ad Blocker's own wee browser but I forget most times.

Apparently, the article itself wasn't sponsored.  The entire site is, according to the administrator.  I have no reason to doubt that response.

• Reply 38 of 64
    Quote:

Apple's gross margins on iPhones are about 60%

But that does NOT include R&D which costs BILLIONS ON BILLIONS.

Its ridiculous that a reseller commands 50%+ gross margins.  They did nothing.  Apple created the iPhone.  All Gazelle is doing is buying and selling yet they command a similiar gross margin as Apple.  

They're doing a lot more than that.  Granted not nearly as much as Apple, but there is plenty of overhead in their business model.

• Reply 39 of 64
    Quote:

Just because someone is willing to pay a price does not mean it isn't a ripoff.

If enough people are willing to pay that price in return for a very easy, convenient, method of exchange, then that's exactly what it means.  "Rip-off" is determined by the folks that are potentially ripped off, not by you, a hyper-opinionated-stubborn-techno-geek-onlooker.

• Reply 40 of 64
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    It is a ripoff.

Gazelle is offering $480 for my perfect condition iPhone6+
    Amazon is offering $600. 
    I can sell it on ebay easily for $600+

1) Isn't Amazon offering $600 in Amazon credit? I would imagine that if Gazelle only offered you credit for their store they would offer you a higher amount.

2) Using a company that is lucky to have a net profit margin of 1% on a good quarter does not a make compelling case, especially since Amazon is an extremely efficient company in terms of costs due to their scale and other negative factors which you are conveniently ignoring.

3) WE GET IT! Gazelle doesn't work for you so, yes, for your needs Gazelle is a rip off, but your needs are not everyone's needs so just shut the **** up already.