Survey: Majority of current Apple Music trial users likely to pay for subscription [update with repl

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53

We're getting it. The family plan is a steal.

• Reply 22 of 53
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

We're getting it. The family plan is a steal.

I think that's the real sweet spot, the family plan.

• Reply 23 of 53
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member

I am not using, and do not plan to sign up for the trial or the paid plan. I do like the Match program. At $25/yr, that works well for me.

I decided to try Beats 1 again, just to be sure. I made it about 3 minutes before I turned it off. Ugh. Not interested in that service either.

• Reply 24 of 53
    I'll be keeping. I typically get about 5 albums a year so I'm paying a little more but it's readily accessible and I have every album and artist that I would want. It's a no-brainer to me in the regard. Especially when you consider other streaming services yield a similar per month price.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

I am not using, and do not plan to sign up for the trial or the paid plan. I do like the Match program. At $25/yr, that works well for me.

I decided to try Beats 1 again, just to be sure. I made it about 3 minutes before I turned it off. Ugh. Not interested in that service either.

At least Beats 1 is free and independent of an Apple Music subscription. So, nothing is lost and complaints are difficult to justify about something you're not paying for. Having said that, one thing that annoys me about Beats 1 is the audio processing that is used makes it sound like a radio station - lots of unnatural compression and equalization going on. I can hear a song on Beats 1 then turn around and play the same song on Apple Music and it sounds very different even to my non-audiophile ears.

• Reply 26 of 53
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

I'll be keeping. I typically get about 5 albums a year so I'm paying a little more but it's readily accessible and I have every album and artist that I would want. It's a no-brainer to me in the regard. Especially when you consider other streaming services yield a similar per month price.

Unless Apple Music goes away or a particular artist or label decides to pull content off the service. Some people get a warm, fuzzy feeling about actually owning a song that can never be taken away from you as opposed to renting it.

• Reply 27 of 53
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post

Unless Apple Music goes away or a particular artist or label decides to pull content off the service. Some people get a warm, fuzzy feeling about actually owning a song that can never be taken away from you as opposed to renting it.

Yeah, I love all those audio cassette tapes i have lying around, which I had to repurchase.  Makes me really fuzzy.  :grumble:

• Reply 28 of 53
    Maybe mention in article how much the service is???
  • Reply 29 of 53

I may no longer be part of Apple's prized demographic. I'm not interested in streamed music or joining yet another everything to everybody music service. Is it just me or has Apple's products gotten a little too complicated for its own good?

• Reply 30 of 53
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    Until Apple

- stops forcing use of iTunes in the Cloud for Offline listening
    - stops forcing you to stream your own library from the cloud on you enable iTunes in the Cloud
    - recognizes the all the time streaming is unreliable and quite costly since cellular will be required
    - enables Automatic Downloads of Apple Music streams/rentals to all registered devices, just like Music Store purchases currently work

our family of four is out. It is a mess to use right now.

Individual and family pricing is fine to me, but not with all the added costs forced streaming requires.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post

At least Beats 1 is free and independent of an Apple Music subscription. So, nothing is lost and complaints are difficult to justify about something you're not paying for. 

I merely said I don't care for it. To me, Beats 1 is not worth the price. YMMV. 

As a shareholder, I hope it is a huge success.

• Reply 32 of 53
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    sog35 wrote: »
    With the family plan/family sharing does all your apps/music get automatically shared?

I thinking of the family plan but I do not want my wives music on my iPhone

The family music subscription allows each Apple ID in your family sharing (up to 5, I think) to have its own music profile just as if each one had purchased its own subscription.

Family sharing for purchases works the same way it always has.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I'm not.

Not until its $4.99 for personal plan.

Yeah, good luck with that.

• Reply 34 of 53
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Quite the opposite.  Streaming music will never go mainstream until they drop the price.

You can get Netflix for $7.99 a month.  Why the hell would I pay $9.99 for just AUDIO.  Movies cost way more to produce than music.

Until they price it at $4.99 you won't see massive buy-in by the mainstream.

Of course they can make money.  

$4.99 x 12 months x 400,000,000 users = $24 billion in revenue.

That's more revenue than what the entire music industry will make in 2016.

You're smoking crack if you think that 400M people will subscribe to Apple Music, even at $4.99. There is not a single service to my knowledge that has that many people subscribing. Not even close.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    I've never done family sharing before.

So will all my wifes music automatically get downloaded to my phone?  Thats something I dont want to happen.

No. Family sharing keeps members' purchases separate while allowing you to download from each other's purchases. You would have to open iTunes, go to purchases, then switch from your to you wife's purchase list and download manually. Works the same for iBooks and the App Store.
  • Reply 36 of 53
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

You can get Netflix for $7.99 a month.  Why the hell would I pay $9.99 for just AUDIO.  

I dropped my subscription to Netflix a few years ago because the titles were crap. That is why it can be cheap. If Apple has virtually every song, including all the recently released tracks, it is a much bigger value to the studios than a bunch of crappy movies made in the 80s, hence the Apple Music subscription is more expensive.

• Reply 37 of 53
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I dropped my subscription to Netflix a few years ago because the titles were crap. That is why it can be cheap. If Apple has virtually every song, including all the recently released tracks, it is a much bigger value to the studios than a bunch of crappy movies made in the 80s, hence the Apple Music subscription is more expensive.

Music is not consumed the same way Video is, simple as that; when I love a song, I can listen to it 100 times over a full year. Netflix's offer of new show is plain pathetic (in Canada, even old shows are mostly not available).

One thing Sog failed to notice that shows/movies on Netflix have OTHER REVENUE STREAMS BEFORE THEY GET THERE; many of them in fact. You think you'd get major films and shows going there/being made with the small budgets coming from the company. Netflix offers so little money for first run series that they even fail to get there.

You think Netflix could pay for $200M dollar budget movies being made? Well, it would have to if all the money came from Netflix and the like. There is a reason new movies on pay per view are almost the same price as a Netflix monthly subscription.

• Reply 38 of 53
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I'm not.
    I don't want to be bothered with the family plan BS.

And why don't you want to be bothered? If you are more than one person on a household it is good value.

And what is BS about it? :no:
  • Reply 39 of 53
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

So, the Verge is full of crap... Again. Yep, they're reputation as a 0 credibility site is quickly building.

I think Apple is going to really squeeze the vise on their lies until they cry uncle...

• Reply 40 of 53
    Quote:

Those are good points.

But still I find it hard for the average person to pay more for AUDIO than for VIDEO.  

I don't know - I listen to audio far more than I watch video (at the office, in the car, in the shower, etc.), and I have songs I've listened to hundreds of times - don't think there are many movies/TV episodes I've watched more than a handful of times. Audio might be actually be worth more than video.