Apple might be 'named and shamed' in Australia for avoiding taxes

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 96
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MattBookAir View Post

This is getting old. Sue Apple if it's done something illegal, or fix you tax codes: in other words do YOUR jobs.

During his testimony to the US Congress, Tim Cook said the tax laws should be reformed and the loopholes should be closed.  Isn't it disingenuous or hypocritical to call for closing these loopholes while at the same time taking advantage of them?

• Reply 82 of 96
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

During his testimony to the US Congress, Tim Cook said the tax laws should be reformed and the loopholes should be closed.  Isn't it disingenuous or hypocritical to call for closing these loopholes while at the same time taking advantage of them?

Why on earth do you think so? 

I'm in favour of a complete tax reform here in Germany that may lead to my taxes rising (or maybe not; I'm not entirely sure). But until the system is reformed (if ever), I'm a hypocrite for not donating more money to the state than I have to? 

That's ridiculous.

• Reply 83 of 96
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Because every company takes advantage, and it would put Apple at a competitive disadvantage if it paid more taxes than required, while all competitors continue to avoid them. The law creates the level playing field.

• Reply 84 of 96
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Normally sarcasm has a point. I'm not getting your point, so I couldn't be sure there was sarcasm.

Are you just randomly calling me a liar for no particular reason?

The phony narrative you spun to make an absurd point was all a lie, which you wallpapered over by calling it "sarcasm". Unless of course, you were telling the truth, but being sarcastic about it.

• Reply 85 of 96
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MattBookAir View Post

Because every company takes advantage, and it would put Apple at a competitive disadvantage if it paid more taxes than required, while all competitors continue to avoid them. The law creates the level playing field.

You have evidence that other companies are using the Double Irish arrangement?  You should let the EU and the Irish government know about that.

• Reply 86 of 96
    Quote:

You have evidence that other companies are using the Double Irish arrangement?  You should let the EU and the Irish government know about that.

Virtually every article I've seen on this before mentions Google, Microsoft and Amazon in the same breath, but of course highlighting Apple is was gets clicks. If the others don't do it, their shareholders should be complaining.

I believe strongly in corporate taxes, but the only way it can work is through well-devised and implementable legislation. Governments need to do their job.

• Reply 87 of 96
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
  • Reply 88 of 96
    ^ fair point then.

I'm not altogether convinced that "everyone else plus doing it" is a good enough reason, but that's a different matter.
  • Reply 89 of 96
    crowley wrote: »
    Hey, I just found this sweet legal loophole that enables me to make money hand over fist while my neighbour works his ass off and pays way more tax than I do. I guess I could put my resources in play by helping fix the breaks in the system, but where's the fun in that when I could exploit it for personal gain? I'm doing nothing wrong!

Also I'm unfaithful towards my girlfriend, I'm a terrible father, a drunk, and I cheat at Words With Friends, but if it ain't illegal, **** it!

So, the first person I want to see if you're in the Ashley Madison database dump.

You're (probably) so sickly, perverted (&) rich you'd probably charter a yacht to get to your rendezvous :D
  • Reply 90 of 96

Incidentally, AAPL has dropped about 15% over the past month now and is approaching $105, which seems to be the current "floor" as agreed upon by colluding Wall Street short-sellers.

• Reply 91 of 96
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

So, the first person I want to see if you're in the Ashley Madison database dump.

You're (probably) so sickly, perverted (&) rich you'd probably charter a yacht to get to your rendezvous image

I seriously doubt Crowley has the money you imagine he has.

• Reply 92 of 96
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Incidentally, AAPL has dropped about 15% over the past month now and is approaching $105, which seems to be the current "floor" as agreed upon by colluding Wall Street short-sellers.

There's no collusion.  Stocks world wide have just lost over $3.3 Trillion in value.  It's not just about Apple.  China isn't doing so well so It wouldn't be unreasonable to conclude that future sales of iPhones there might not be as rosy as predicted.

• Reply 93 of 96
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

There's no collusion.  Stocks world wide have just lost over $3.3 Trillion in value.  It's not just about Apple.  China isn't doing so well so It wouldn't be unreasonable to conclude that future sales of iPhones there might not be as rosy as predicted.

Stock markets are games unto themselves and are not accurate reflections of reality.

• Reply 94 of 96
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Just nonsense. (Neither left- nor right-wing.)

Do you know why Apple's prices are higher in Europe and Australia? And, is Apple the only CE maker whose prices are higher in Europe and Australia?

A lot of the difference is VAT. It is included in the price, while in tHE US, taxes are added afterward.  In fact, it happens sometimes that when you take into account VAT, prices are in fact lower in Europe (usually happens if Euro goes down a lot after Apple fixed its price and has not hiked the prices up to reflect this). For awhile last year, Canadian prices were in fact lower than US prices (not anymore...)

• Reply 95 of 96
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member

Strictly... um... "tongue in..." um.... help me here! :D
  • Reply 96 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I seriously doubt he was being serious.

You're right of course, but I already stated as much.

Quote:

I'm not a rich person.