Slack CEO denigrates Apple's Siri in announcing work on own team-serving virtual assistant

Comments

• Reply 101 of 135
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ex_Spy_Guy View Post

Siri is behind the deep search in mail, 

I thought Siri had to be connected to the internet. I'm not sure what 'deep search' is, but I can search my mail while in airplane mode.

• Reply 102 of 135
    mstone wrote: »
     I thought Siri had to be connected to the internet. I'm not sure what 'deep search' is, but I can search my mail while in airplane mode.

For VTT.

Deep search allows for keyword matches across all applications and services. It wouldn't be conducive to do a screenshot example because I would need to post 20 or so, but I just typed 'Apple' in search and got 80 returns from Messages, Mail, notes, Apple News App, maps, Bing, suggested websites, iBooks, documents, found in mail, calendar, Wikipedia and top hits.

Here are a few:
  • Reply 103 of 135
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

For VTT.

Deep search allows for keyword matches across all applications and services.

And you are saying Siri is doing this? I just did the same search in Airplane mode. Clearly I didn't get any wikipedia hits but it searched every where on my iPhone and returned a very comprehensive list of results. 

• Reply 104 of 135
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    And you are saying Siri is doing this? I just did the same search in Airplane mode. Clearly I didn't get any wikipedia hits but it searched every where on my iPhone and returned a very comprehensive list of results. 

It's called Spotlight.
  • Reply 105 of 135

I'm reporting what the developer documentation states about Siri integration into the spotlight replacement which looks like this before a query:

This panel resides to the left of the first of the paginated springboard screens. Like iOS 5 search was performed before the spotlight pull down gesture replaced that.
  • Reply 106 of 135
    knowitall wrote: »
    It's called Spotlight.

In iOS 8. It's gone now.

I'll rephrase that. The pull down gesture still exists but the panel from the left of the home springboard page is what results
  • Reply 107 of 135
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    ex_spy_guy wrote: »
    In iOS 8. It's gone now.

Of course not, maybe rebranded a little or integrated somewhat more, but still search and indexing on your phone (and now beyond), even the icon is the same.
  • Reply 108 of 135
    knowitall wrote: »
    Of course not, maybe rebranded a little or integrated somewhat more, but still search and indexing on your phone (and now beyond), even the icon is the same.

The gravity of it is...spotlight isn't spotlight. The iOS 9 search API is nothing like spotlight. When Google decided to try and create a native application UX from the web services (app streaming) they are effectively blurring the lines between the web and apps. Apps are where they are getting their asses kicked, they are adept at web.

Apples retort was to then make apps like the web in the context of relational data. Apple is proficient with native applications, and not so proficient with web/data services. To compensate and ensure Google doesn't webify the app experience unabated, catastrophically to the point that there is no difference to the user, Apple is bringing a 'searchable web' to native applications...again in the context of relational data. They are accomplishing this by integrating metadata from the 3rd party services and developer applications and folding it into a data pool from which 'Siri deep search and Intelligence' attempts to create a simulacrum of the users behavior that is based on use of the device.
  • Reply 109 of 135
    roake wrote: »

You have apparently never worked in government.

You are correct sir
  • Reply 110 of 135

Siri works AWESOME for me for anything phone/device related.  This means setting timers, reminders, alarms, playing playlists or podcasts, launching apps, making phone calls, etc.  For web searching, I've found that Siri isn't that great.  In that case, I use Chrome to voice dictate the web search.  Just wanted to share my experience with Siri.  Your milage may vary.

• Reply 111 of 135
    sambira wrote: »
    You are correct sir

Consider yourself lucky. There is nothing worse than trying to square away a unionized government civilian in the defense department.
  • Reply 112 of 135
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

Siri on Apple watch is amazing!!!

Dont ask me why its better than its implementation on iPhone.. But it is !

I agree that it seems much better on the Watch.  Message dictation seems much more accurate than on the phone.  

Siri overall is a bit hit & miss.  Many times it works quite well in dictation, setting timers / reminders, and playing songs from the library.  But other times it is very frustrating - poor on names as mentioned by another - unreliable when using with Maps (though that might be a Maps issue too, as its search function is its poorest feature).

However, to call it useless is pure hyperbole, as used by both trolls and attention whores.

• Reply 113 of 135
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knowitall View Post

Ha ha, and pigs will fly.

You know Ray is a bit insane, you shouldn't take it too literally.

"Insane"? He has a very solid track record and even if you don't believe him, Moore's Law still applies.

• Reply 114 of 135
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

SIRI was good when it 1st arrived but then Apple did a Blackberry with it and didn't really develop it as fast as they could so other companies have done better since. Even Cortana is more useful!

nah

• Reply 115 of 135
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by knowitall View Post

It's called Spotlight.

In iOS 8. It's gone now.

in iOS 9, it's back.

• Reply 116 of 135
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    eriamjh wrote: »
    Siri could be better.  A LOT better.

what's this? a three-year old AI service has room to improve? madness!
  • Reply 117 of 135
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,294member
    Stewart Butterfield hires a single scientist and thinks that allows him to trash-talk the complex product of a competitor...that's f-ing idiotic.
  • Reply 118 of 135
    konqerror wrote: »
    1. Apple's solution would require Macs. 95% of the corporations won't use. (It would have a web interface, but it would stink)

huh? have you seen the iCloud.com web interface? it's fantastic. their store site, too.
  • Reply 119 of 135
    Irrelevant. Apple has a product and it blows. Apple is worryingly slipping back to its years of releasing directionless and costly software projects. The CEO of Slack has it right; Apple has a slack CEO. SJ rebuilt Apple from ruins. Unfortunately, it became so vastly elevated the atmosphere at the top is too thin for proper brain functioning.

nonsense. Cook was one of Jobs' select few for many years, and his first choice for CEO, and he's done a terrific job. you have absolutely no prove Apple is releasing costly and directionless products., only a familiar troll-trope ("concern troll"). and Siri doesn't blow.
  • Reply 120 of 135
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,336member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

"you're doing it wrong" - Steve Jobs ;-)

Indeed.  :-)

But if Steve Jobs were alive he would be giving the SIRI team hell.  I am not saying Mr. Cook is doing a bad job at the helm, but I don't believe he is giving the SIRI team as much hell as Jobs would have.  

Apple needs to THINK DIFFERENT to make SIRI a lot better.