Study claims 80% of Apple Watch owners in US, UK use Apple Pay

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    80% seems a bit high. But then again, these are Apple watch owners.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Wristly aggregated data from an "Inner Circle" of more than 1,000 Apple Watch owners in the U.S. and UK -- the only regions with official Apple Pay support -- and published its findings on Tuesday.

The 80 percent statistic is in stark contrast to -- highly questionable -- surveys claiming Apple Pay usage rates are in the low teens for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus owners, Wristly says.

So a survey based on an 'inner circle' is touted as being more credible than some other survey.  Why exactly?

• Reply 23 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aderutter View Post

I'm not surprised to be honest.

If the Starbucks Apple Watch app actually worked I'd be using it daily instead of using my iPhone.

Not sure why the Starbucks app doesn't work for you.  I use it all the time -- I have the card in my Passbook app and it always works.

In general, Apple Pay in WatchOS is a home run.  I like the word "frictionless" to describe the process, which I've seen used by some.  As I say, Starbucks is solid and the Watch is also useful for scanning your boarding passes at the gate.  Those three use cases (for me) are better on the Apple Watch than the iPhone IMHO.

• Reply 24 of 37
    fireblue wrote: »
    80% is highly questionable given that very few of the big banks in the UK support it. Also, we've had touch payments in the UK for years so Apple Pay makes things more complicated.

Of the roughly 20 percent of respondents that don't use Apple Pay on Watch, 5 percent said they "do not perceive a benefit" from Apple Pay, 5 percent have security concerns and 15 are using other methods of payment. - 5 5 15 = 25% not 20%.

Further down 3% of respondents has issues with security, but we've just given a 5% figure here.

Lies, damned lies and statistics = pundits who can't produce a clear report that has any value.

They are looking at only the 20% that don't use Apple Pay for the more detailed "why they don't use it" data. In other words 5% of the 20% don't use Apple pay for security reasons. I believe that's 1% of the total pop.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    cnocbui wrote: »
    So a survey based on an 'inner circle' is touted as being more credible than some other survey.  Why exactly?

It's not. Just the same credibility. Unless a scientific method is used, the results are just talking points. I didn't go through their methodology so I don't know if the "inner circle" is representative of Apple watch owners.
  • Reply 26 of 37

It tells me to setup passbook when it's already setup. Maybe it's just not recognising the location I use.

• Reply 27 of 37
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    jungmark wrote: »
    They are looking at only the 20% that don't use Apple Pay for the more detailed "why they don't use it" data. In other words 5% of the 20% don't use Apple pay for security reasons. I believe that's 1% of the total pop.
    Which is nuts because the whole purpose of ?Pay is to provide more security for your credit card purchases than ever before.
    jungmark wrote: »
    It's not. Just the same credibility. Unless a scientific method is used, the results are just talking points. I didn't go through their methodology so I don't know if the "inner circle" is representative of Apple watch owners.
    It's ?WATCH fanatics who have sought out or accepted an invitation to join the survey. Anyone can become a part of the survey. When I joined it, there were about 700 members. Now it's over 1800. Please feel free to join Wristly. Doing the surveys is fun and contributes to the ?WATCH publicity and dialog.??????
  • Reply 28 of 37
    shenshen Posts: 434member

I love the fitness tracking. I am already in better shape. I love the notifications and how fast I can sort the million messages that come in everyday because of my watch. Having weather and calendar at a glance rather than a reach in the pocket is like a superpower. Amazing. Controlling the music I am listening to without pulling my phone out is a blessing. I have already accepted several calls on the Watch just so I don't have to put down what I doing and walk across the room to my phone. I love my watch, and am already looking forward to upgrades as much as I look to iPhone upgrades...

But Apple Pay beats them all hands down.

If you haven't used a watch to pay for something, and you have a card you can use on Apple Pay, you owe it to yourself to buy a watch. It is so amazingly simple that I am now at the point where I actively choose stores based on their ability to accept Apple Pay. Everyone else is just not worth the time.

• Reply 29 of 37
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    multimedia wrote: »
    Which is nuts because the whole purpose of ?Pay is to provide more security for your credit card purchases than ever before.
    It's ?WATCH fanatics who have sought out or accepted an invitation to join the survey. Anyone can become a part of the survey. When I joined it, there were about 700 members. Now it's over 1800. Please feel free to join Wristly. Doing the surveys is fun and contributes to the ?WATCH publicity and dialog.??????

Which makes this survey bunk. A bunch of fanatics that are ahead of the curve and do these surveys does not represent the average consumer.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    Which makes this survey bunk. A bunch of fanatics that are ahead of the curve and do these surveys does not represent the average consumer.
    It's not bunk if the survey propels ?WATCH dialog and talking points. Nobody is saying the survey represents the average consumer. No ?WATCH owner is an average consumer. We're all Innovators and Early Adopters. Join the survey and be a part of history.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fireblue View Post

80% is highly questionable given that very few of the big banks in the UK support it. Also, we've had touch payments in the UK for years so Apple Pay makes things more complicated.

Very few of the big banks?!  The majority are supporting now with all but Barclays promising to support it "soon".

I can't comprehend how Apple Pay makes things more complicated any more than a bank offering their debit/credit card in a contactless form.  I've had contactless cards for some years now; with the Apple Watch i just double tap the button then briefly place my wrist with the watch next to the reader, job done.  I've found it especially useful when already carrying a few things, no need to fumble with getting the wallet out of the pocket and then the card out of the wallet.

I have several contactless cards and IDs, I suffer from "card clash" if I try to use a contactless card without first removing it from the wallet.  It's not an issue when using the Apple Watch.

• Reply 32 of 37
    aderutter wrote: »
    It tells me to setup passbook when it's already setup. Maybe it's just not recognising the location I use.

Yes, it's location dependent. Where Apple pay is not officially supported you cannot eg add your CCs.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    When is Apple Pay coming to Canada, already? Argh!
  • Reply 34 of 37
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Of course Pay is the killer app for Watch. Hopefully Apple will realise that to prevent Watch from fizzing out they'll pull finger and rollout Pay more aggressively & globally.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    mcdave wrote: »
    Of course Pay is the killer app for Watch. Hopefully Apple will realise that to prevent Watch from fizzing out they'll pull finger and rollout Pay more aggressively & globally.

While I totally agree with the rollout, I read somewhere that the "killer app" of the watch depends on the demographics. Younger appreciate the messaging features, others the activity tracking and notifications, and again for others it's paying. And, obviously, the edition as status symbol for yet another group. I don't have the link at hand.
    If it's true teen it's excellent because in this way the watch appeals to many different users with different use cases. This is also where I see the big plus of the watch: being generic in its applications while doing them very well.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    While I totally agree with the rollout, I read somewhere that the "killer app" of the watch depends on the demographics. Younger appreciate the messaging features, others the activity tracking and notifications, and again for others it's paying. And, obviously, the edition as status symbol for yet another group. I don't have the link at hand.
    If it's true teen it's excellent because in this way the watch appeals to many different users with different use cases. This is also where I see the big plus of the watch: being generic in its applications while doing them very well.
    I was just commenting on the headline, if true, it's pretty self-explanatory. Fewer things better is why I buy Apple products.