Apple's mythical 'iPad Pro' allegedly spotted in iOS app analytics

Posted:
in iPad edited August 2015
A new, high-resolution iPad with an as-yet-unseen model identifier has reportedly begun to surface in analytics data from some commercial iOS apps, suggesting that the long-rumored "iPad Pro" may have entered the later stages of testing.

Retina iPad mini review

Analytics firm Appsee, which provides tools for developers to collect data on in-app user behavior, said that they spotted a new iPad identified as model "iPad6,8" in their user logs. The iPad Air 2 bears model identifiers "iPad5,3" and "iPad5,4" for Wi-Fi and cellular versions, respectively.

The device Appsee found also sports a larger 2,048-pixel-by-2,732-pixel display, compared to the 2,048-pixel-by-1,536-pixel unit found on the newest iPads. That matches with references found in developer previews of iOS 9 earlier this summer.

The iPad Pro is one of the most oft-rumored Apple devices, with numerous alleged stops and starts in recent years. In July, Apple was said to have begun placing 'cautious' orders for jumbo iPad, with availability expected just before Christmas.

Apple is thought to be planning a special event for Sept. 9 at which the company will likely unveil its next-generation iPhones, though it's unclear whether new iPads will also be shown off. Apple has historically held new iPad events in October, a move it could replicate this year if the iPad Pro is ready for release.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Bring it. :)
    As much as I just want an awesome stylus with a big iPad screen because I want to use it for art and design with the support of the awesome iOS app community... I'm just fascinated with how Apple is going to present this and differentiate it. I keep thinking enterprise plus artist which is pretty incongruent. Should be a fun product reveal.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member

my wife is already set to sell our iPad air for it.

though i am sure that there are some on here who will nit pick it for not ( i assume) running full desktop software or windows parallels, or because they cannot replace their laptops.

• Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I want the Mini to be a really weak tablet and only available at 16GB.  People who are serious about tablets should not be buying Mini's but regular or Pro iPads.

Why? Mini is great. I want a new Pro, but my wife uses the mini for all sorts of stuff and it's much more portable and useful in her classroom than a big one would be. She's plenty serious about it and larger won't be better for her. For myself the plus phone size makes it so I rarely use an iPad, but it's too small for what she does. I think you aren't going to find some one-size-fits-all scenario here. Apple really likes that scenario and seems to prefer it but look how it has had to diversify across iPods over time and the iPhones and iPads and Macs.

• Reply 4 of 17
    Why does AppleInsider keep referring to this as "iPad Pro"?
  • Reply 5 of 17
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Fine.  But if thats the case the Mini needs to be the same price as the Air.  

Mini/Air - 16/64/128 - $499/$599/$699 

Pro - 32/128/256 - $699/$799/$899

Apple should really get out of the sub $499 tablet market.  It hurts their margins and profits too much.

Yeah a company that makes $18B in a quarter with 40% margins is really hurting. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 6 of 17
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

The resolutions stated don't make sense.

Original 2048x1536

iPad Plus 2048x2732

So it's portrait mode and a screen ratio of 512:683

2732x2049 would be 4:3 so the iPad Plus height will be the width of a standard iPad.

• Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

You mean one dimension may be off by one pixel? (iPad Air and mini are 4:3 and with one pixel more 2049 Pro would also be exactly 4:3 as you state)

There seems to me to be a benefit at keeping that one pixel off to remain at 2048, however. It means an entire regular iPad app could fit on one side of the screen when in landscape (more than half) without a one pixel offset to throw things off. Would be convenient for the 2-up configuration possible now.

Anything taking advantage of the new real estate will not be hindered as nothing pre-exists.

I mean, I'd like for all the auto-scaling stuff to just work for developers automatically, but the reality is that there will be plenty that benefit from specific sizes for a long time to come.

(rereading your post. Are you concerned about the order of the numbers for the ratio? Why?)

• Reply 8 of 17
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Who is this device targeted at? I'm certainly not in the market for one.

• Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Profit margin was 22% last fiscal year holmes.

That profit margin is lower than Google and Microsoft.

Profit margin is just one statistic.  What is good for Microsoft and Google (both software/services companies) may not be good for Apple (largely a hardware company).  Apple may get into even lower margin items in the future, and that is ok so long as their total profit per share is higher because they did. 

• Reply 10 of 17
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    What price point are we looking at?

iPad Plus
    32GB $699
    64GB $749
    128GB $799
    256GB $899

welcome to the era of the mega expensive tablets.  Love it.

In one year I hope this is Apples Tablet lineup:

Mini 16GB - A7, touch ID - $299

iPad 16/64/128 - $499, $599, $699

iPad Pro - 32/64/128/256 - $699, $749, $799, $899

I want the Mini to be a really weak tablet and only available at 16GB.  People who are serious about tablets should not be buying Mini's but regular or Pro iPads.
    i don't recall Apple ever had $50 increments for storage space ever...so, $100 increase as usual from 32GB, 64GB and 128GB.
    I don't believe it will start at $699 either because the 128GB will be $899 which Only stupid people won't see MBA is a better value at this price.Unless Apple go with 64Gb, 128GB and 256GB line up.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Fine.  But if thats the case the Mini needs to be the same price as the Air.  

Mini/Air - 16/64/128 - $499/$599/$699 

Pro - 32/128/256 - $699/$799/$899

Apple should really get out of the sub $499 tablet market.  It hurts their margins and profits too much.
    Why not just make it simple like:
    Mini: $299/$399/$499
    Air: $499/$599/$699
    Plus: $799/$899 (128/256GB) : who needs entry level of this iPad anyway? So just start at $128GB.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    the iPhone5S and Air1 are selling with $50 memory increments right now
    That's a 2 year old device, not new or flagship...
  • Reply 13 of 17
    evilution wrote: »

Original 2048x1536
    iPad Plus 2048x2732

So it's portrait mode and a screen ratio of 512:683

2732x2049 would be 4:3 so the iPad Plus height will be the width of a standard iPad.
    Correct.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    What price point are we looking at?

iPad Plus
    32GB $699
    64GB $749
    128GB $799
    256GB $899
    Far too expensive. IPad is being seriously hurt in the marketplace due to high pricing, Apple needs to be more aggressive in addressing this problem.
    welcome to the era of the mega expensive tablets.  Love it.
    Why would you love a device that kills the market. The problem is if tablets become too expensive people will gravitate back to laptops.
    In one year I hope this is Apples Tablet lineup:

Mini 16GB - A7, touch ID - $299

iPad 16/64/128 - $499, $599, $699

iPad Pro - 32/64/128/256 - $699, $749, $799, $899

Your thoughts on the Mini are hilarious. Apple needs to drop the price on the entire line up and at the same time pull their head out of their ass and offer these devices with reasonable flash storage sizes. The cost for 16 GB of flash is now in the single digit region for wholesale in Apple quantities. I really don't think people grasp how cheap flash has become and this don't realize what a huge rip off Apples iOS hardware has become.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    So only $100 more for an 128GB Plus vs 128GB Air?  That seems too cheap for the Plus.

Mini $449/$549/$649 - following Watch pricing
    Air  $499/$599/$699

Plus $899 for 128GB and $999 for 256GB
    Maybe the Plus should go for 64GB/128GB too. Now 128gb air for $699 vs 64gb Plus for $799. How about that? Just kill the Mini or leave it at 32GB only for $399 while Air will remain with full line up starting from $499, then Plus can start at $799. There you go $399 to $899 for full line with no overlapping.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Hell no.  Apple won't be playing the race to the bottom game like Android.  

Sure and follow Androids race to the bottom.  Hell no.

if Apple drops the price it won't help at all.  Tablet sales to consumers has peaked.  Dropping the price will do nothing to increase demand.  Everyone willing to pay $300+ for a tablet already buys iPad.  

The Mini is the bain of the iPad.  Once it was released iPad growth stopped.  iPad averaging selling price plumetted.  ipad profits dropped.  A small tablet is a waste.
    Race to the bottom: $139 9.7" iPad killer (copier)700