Apple to open two Apple Stores in United Arab Emirates after exemption from ownership laws

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Unfortunately I won't live long enough to see Dubai turn into the spectacular deserted city in the dessert it is bound to someday become.

I just don't see it as a sustainable location, especially once the oil money runs out and global weather heats up.

Dubai is not built on oil. In fact, it is an almost insignificant part of the GDP.

Dubai has a huge commerce industry with one of the largest harbors in the world. It acts as a hub between Europe and Asia so it  has a large financial sector, too. The city also has a huge tourism industry.

• Reply 22 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnielse View Post

Dubai is not built on oil. In fact, it is an almost insignificant part of the GDP.

Dubai has a huge commerce industry with one of the largest harbors in the world. It acts as a hub between Europe and Asia so it  has a large financial sector, too. The city also has a huge tourism industry.

The question is for how long...

Oil brough wealth, wealth brought trade and business, trade and business brought investments, investments brought luxury and luxury brouth turists...its a chain of circumstances that created Dubai and it was build and based on oil.  Whether Dubai can maintain its fame without the oil is a dificult question. In 20 years we would know the answer.

• Reply 23 of 29
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    johnnielse wrote: »

Oil brough wealth, wealth brought trade and business, trade and business brought investments, investments brought luxury and luxury brouth turists...its a chain of circumstances that created Dubai and it was build and based on oil.  Whether Dubai can maintain its fame without the oil is a dificult question. In 20 years we would know the answer.

They people in charge of the oil knew that they had a very limited amount and it wouldn't be long before they had none to sell, so they decided to make their country a world class tourist attraction.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    They would NOT behead for that, but they would chop off your hands. In their view, the punishment should fit the severity of the crime and discourage others. You almost never hear of shoplifting in the emirates for this reason.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    nycnikato wrote: »
    They would NOT behead for that, but they would chop off your hands. In their view, the punishment should fit the severity of the crime and discourage others. You almost never hear of shoplifting in the emirates for this reason.

So if you THINK something that is against their local laws, that is punishable with a beheading, right? /s
  • Reply 26 of 29
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Does the /s stand for stupid?

• Reply 27 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nikolay Iliev View Post

Yes that is the question. But as far as I can see (I've been here for almost 4 years, but spent most of my life in Europe) it's becoming the hub of the Middle East, and a connection between Europe and Asia. For trade, banking, shipping, and more. I actually think it has a very solid foundation at this point. I really think people should visit the region and have a look for themselves.

Regarding crime. In my opinion it has nothing to do with harsh sentences and everything to do with the fact that everyone has a job here. You can get residency but never permanent residency. The moment you lose your job for any reason your residency becomes null and void. People have no reason to do crime here because most people have long working hours and lots to do. You also have harsh sentences in the US, just to remind you :)

• Reply 28 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnielse View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nikolay Iliev View Post

Yes that is the question. But as far as I can see (I've been here for almost 4 years, but spent most of my life in Europe) it's becoming the hub of the Middle East, and a connection between Europe and Asia. For trade, banking, shipping, and more. I actually think it has a very solid foundation at this point. I really think people should visit the region and have a look for themselves.

Yes, the future does look good for Dubai, but I must add that recently the traces of an ancient city was discovered in the desert of the mid-east that was found to be an important stop on the ancient silk road. It was only know in modern times by its name. It's location was long lost.