Swatch looks to trademark 'one more thing' phrase made famous by Steve Jobs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2015
Swiss watch brand Swatch has acquired a trademark on the phrase "one more thing," an expression often used during Apple press events by the company's late cofounder Steve Jobs.

A Swiss trademark, originally registered in May, was spotted by Patently Apple. Swatch appears to have filed for the trademark in November, and barring intervention it will expire in 2024.

What if anything Swatch might do with the trademark is uncertain. It does however cover a goods and services category including watches, and the company has also sought a trademark on a similar phrase, "Tick different," a reference to Apple's famous "Think Different" marketing campaign.

Swatch may simply be trying to exploit Apple's cachet and/or position itself as an alternative to the Apple Watch, although the company isn't yet poised to produce a true smartwatch. Instead it's simply integrating "smart" features into its products, such as Bluetooth and NFC support, the latter for functions like mobile payments and unlocking hotel rooms.

Where the companies may compete is in price. Many of Swatch's brands compete directly with the Apple Watch sport and stainless steel models on price, but some shoppers may be tempted to spend extra on a Sport for more functionality.

During Apple press events, Jobs would frequently say "one more thing" before introducing a major surprise. Current CEO Tim Cook has largely avoided the phrase, one exception being the Apple Watch's announcement last October.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81
    That's one way to get licensing dollars from Apple! :lol:
    I'm glad Swatch is original in their marketing tag lines¡
  • Reply 2 of 81
    Classy.
  • Reply 3 of 81
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Anyone.....Can i trade mark the english language ?
  • Reply 4 of 81
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    First thought, sort of a douche move.
  • Reply 5 of 81

Swatchsung?

• Reply 6 of 81
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

So can they sue Apple retroactively for trademark infringement? Just asking.

• Reply 7 of 81
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

Huh, and here I thought Peter Faulk had the trademark on that.

• Reply 8 of 81
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Is that Swatch or Samsung's S-Watch?¡
  • Reply 9 of 81
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Ladies & gentlemen, I introduce to you the new Samsung.

• Reply 10 of 81
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Given the bozos running the USPTO, anything is within the realm of possibility.

• Reply 11 of 81
    Didn't Huawei already do this? ;)

Edit: Darn. It was the other one, Xiaomi

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtIojfjCQAAwKUK.jpg
  • Reply 12 of 81
    citycity Posts: 522member

Check out this video on YouTube:

Steve Jobs "One more thing..." complete compilation (1999-2011

http://youtu.be/hyCzbXx9i-M

• Reply 13 of 81
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I didn't know Swatch was a subsidiary of Samsung. Shameless.
  • Reply 14 of 81
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

Pretty soon, that company will learn a new term, one beginning to be very familiar to Samsung and the other Android vendors...

It's called 'Switch.'

• Reply 15 of 81
    xzuxzu Posts: 139member
    Apple should just move on to "One more thang!"
    Its much more PC.
  • Reply 16 of 81
    city wrote: »
    Check out this video on YouTube:
    Steve Jobs "One more thing..." complete compilation (1999-2011

http://youtu.be/hyCzbXx9i-M

OT

While checking your link I came across a vid showing the Venus. Man, she's a beauty.
  • Reply 17 of 81
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member

"Thing" is an apt description for their products.

• Reply 18 of 81
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

I would LOVE to see Swatch try and enforce that trademark with Apple.  Swatch would get eaten alive and I'd enjoy watching it.

• Reply 19 of 81
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

So can they sue Apple retroactively for trademark infringement? Just asking.

Probably not.. In fact, Apple may have a case for prior 'art' and identity since Jobs made it somewhat well known. I honestly think if they pushed to leverage it in a lawsuit they'd loose hard. Trademarks are intended to relate to brand, and right now, in the minds of most, that phrase is going to relate to Apple, and just trademarking it doesn't automatically give them license - it could easily be invalidated if Apple pushes back.

• Reply 20 of 81
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    adrayven wrote: »

Probably not.. In fact, Apple may have a case for prior 'art' and identity since Jobs made it somewhat well known. I honestly think if they pushed to leverage it in a lawsuit they'd loose hard. Trademarks are intended to relate to brand, and right now, in the minds of most, that phrase is going to relate to Apple, and just trademarking it doesn't automatically give them license - it could easily be invalidated if Apple pushes back.

I'm not a trademark lawyer but I agree with your points. Also, Cook used it in a recent Apple event so even though we associate that with Jobs one could argue it's an Apple slogan.