Apple Pay is focus of latest 'If it's not an iPhone' ad

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2015
Apple on Thursday released a new television commercial as part of its "If it's not an iPhone" campaign, this time throwing a spotlight on the smartphone's Apple Pay touchless payment capabilities.

Like recent iPhone spots, Apple's latest features a narrator extolling the handset's virtues against a bouncy backtrack and strikingly minimalist, yet playful, visuals. Cut from the same cloth as other "If it's not an iPhone" ads, the commercial released today trends toward a younger demographic.

Apple lays out Apple Pay's merits in its 30-second spot, highlighting ease-of-use, security and nationwide availability at one million merchants. More interesting, however, is Apple's use of hidden rhymes. For example, today's ad wraps facts and numbers in a loose four-line rhyme scheme. Looking back at past ads reveals an enclosed rhyme scheme (ABBA) in "Amazing Apps," and a short broken monorhyme (AAA) in "Hardware & Software."

It's not clear if Apple is overtly capitalizing on some subconscious predilection for rhymes and rhythm, in effect forcing us to listen to its ad copy, or is simply having fun with words (the company's marketing team seems to have a thing for puns). In either case, the results are effective.

Apple debuted the "If it's not an iPhone" blitz in July as a departure from the dramatic story-driven marketing used to sell its handset for years.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    If it's a Windows or Android or BlackBerry phone, it ain't an iPhone!

If it's a Windows or Android or BlackBerry phone, it is inferior.

If it's a Windows or Android or BlackBerry phone, upgrade it to an iPhone 6s.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Good, they should saturate the airwaves with this so that it's obvious to everyone that this is the real deal and the original, before Samsung Pay comes out. 

• Reply 3 of 11
    I hope they continue Apple Pay ads. They help build awareness among merchants (in addition to the presumed main audience: consumers).
  • Reply 4 of 11
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Over 1 million stores? Did they give a number at a previous event or earnings call?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member

As I've mentioned before, I live in the Pacific Northwest and we have a very nice fast food restaurant (I know, no fast food restaurant is good) called Taco Time. It's not to be confused with any legitimate Mexican restaurant but when I was leaving I noticed an interest device on the counter. I asked one of the workers what it was and he said they just got it and it's a QR code reader. Supposedly it's for reading coupons and gift cards but I wonder if it's a test device for CurrentC. I hope not because the worker didn't think anyone would spend the time figuring it out, especially with the multiple steps required. They still don't have a chipped card reader and he knew something about the October deadline. As I do in many of the stores that don't have ApplePay or updated card readers I suggested they make sure they get the right NFC equipment so it can be used properly and securely with ApplePay and any other NFC-compatible application. Apple is trying but I wonder how many executive even watch commercials to see how easy ApplePay really is. We can only try and help Apple educate the masses.

• Reply 6 of 11
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member

Apple has brought back a well-suited voice talent for these commercials.

• Reply 7 of 11
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Lol for that soundtrack :) It reminds me somehow of Bobby Trafalgar's Kung-Fu girl, in a distant way. Bobby's song is still cool, he he.

Listen to Kung-Fu Girl by Bobby Trafalgar on @AppleMusic.
    https://itun.es/no/teZGN?i=662909435
  • Reply 8 of 11
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

"Apple Pay" such an unfortunate choice of name. It always makes me think "If you buy Apple, you're gonna pay."

• Reply 9 of 11
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member

Ever noticed how you see ads in twos, the double exposure effect is a means of making a person remember an ad.

Rhyme has a similar effect on copy, it makes the voice over more memorable. If one takes the time to create the links between the less memorable and the more memorable features, then the total retention is increased. It's in the same vein as a jingle, which almost always utilises rhyme as well.

The visuals shown are secondary here, they're mechanical and a bit clinical, and are timed to the voice over. However it's simple enough for people to understand even without audio.

All in all, it's an effective "communication." Since the Apple platform tends to thrive on users actually being able to depend on the features, i.e real use rather than perceived benefits that never get used*. Many competing Android phones offer features that are half baked and solely for the "tick value" when comparing against the Apple product in store. (Samsung are particularly guilty of this their myriad of "me-too" features that simply don't work as a consumer would expect them to.)

*Which brings up an interesting media trend of reporting upon perceived doom & gloom if there is data that claims that users aren't fully embracing a technology, versus a competitor brand which receives no such scrutiny for their me-too product, despite being sold equally or in greater numbers

• Reply 10 of 11
    All I know is I just learned that Jewel Osco supports Apple Pay. I'm a happy camper! I'm just waiting on Walmart and I'll be set.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    booboobooboo Posts: 49member

Nice ad. And it's good to see them featuring merchants.

Previous ads and Apple announcements have focused on participating banks and cards, but that doesn't do me any good if none of the stores I go to accept Apple Pay. I've only found a few, so I rarely use Apple Pay. I'd use it all the time if I could.