Samsung offers iPhone users free 30-day test drive of new Galaxy handsets

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2015
Samsung on Thursday announced a new initiative designed to steal away users of Apple's iPhone, offering current owners of the device a virtually free 30-day "test drive" with one of its latest Galaxy handsets.

Called the "Ultimate Test Drive," Samsung's plan puts a Galaxy S6 Edge Plus or Galaxy Note 5 in the hands of an iPhone owner for one dollar, with no obligation to buy. As the strategy is to lure away Apple customers, the promotion can only be accessed by visiting a special webpage from an iPhone.

Included as part of the 30-day test drive is an activated SIM card attached to a voice and data plan hosted by a user's current carrier, whether it be AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile or Sprint. Samsung also sends along a cable to make streamline file transfers. Following the trial period those who "make the switch," or buy a qualifying Galaxy device, Samsung says, "There's even more love in store for you," though it's not exactly clear what the company means.

According to Tom's Guide, all participants will have to send back their test drive kit -- albeit for free -- even if they are persuaded to buy one of Samsung's smartphones.

Samsung is fighting hard to stay ahead in the global smartphone market amid harsh market headwinds, flagging sales and, most worrying for the company, incredibly consistent demand for Apple's larger screened iPhone 6 and 6 Plus models. The Galaxy maker attempted to get a head start on Apple this year by releasing flagship Galaxy Note 5 and Galaxy S6 Plus models last week, earlier than an expected iPhone launch in September.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80

"Well isn't that special." 

• Reply 2 of 80
    You couldn't pay me enough money to have me give up my iPhone 6.
  • Reply 3 of 80
    These will count as shipped, so analysts will count them as sold to end user.
  • Reply 4 of 80

So

• Reply 5 of 80
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    1) This will read to many here as being a desperate move, but it's also a move a company that is certain about their product might offer.

2) Changing the User Agent on my Mac to iPhone didn't fool Samsung's site for the sign up. I wasn't able to test the iPhone simulator in Xcode.

3) It's interesting that they test phone has to be sent back to Samsung even if you decide to buy that exact phone.

4) I considered doing the demo — I can even sell my iPhone 6 Plus now for a premium — but, of all things, I really don't want to be without iMessages for the next month.
  • Reply 6 of 80
    Samsung can pay ME to test drive their phone. And by "test drive" I mean load up their iPhone 5/6 replica with my JPGs evidencing just how closely they copied Apple's iPhone to build up their galaxy brand and toss it back in their lying faces. Maybe it'll clip Lucy Koh at the side of her head, on the toss back. My tax dollars better not be spent on a Supreme Court hearing for their bitching. Pay Apple the paltry $500M, considering you made BILLIONS from them, you thieves.
  • Reply 7 of 80
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Not that I plan on getting rid of my iPhone but I may do the test to test our android client we are having done for us. Have to go read the terms and conditions.
  • Reply 8 of 80
    solipsismy wrote: »
    1) This will read to many here as being a desperate move, but it's also a move a company that is certain about their product might offer.

No, I was going to say:

1) Why don't they offer this dollar trial to their existing customers? It looks like Samsung has given up on trying to keep their customers from switching, and are trying to poach Apple upgraders.

2) it's not confidence then they have absolutely nothing to lose by doing this. What's the worst that could happen? Not a single trial customer switches to Samsung, so they're back to square one, but now they have a list of names and contact info with implicit permission to solicit you again in the future. I don't see a downside. It's pure win-win for them.
  • Reply 9 of 80
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Hahahahaha.
    I wanna see those numbers when this is over.
  • Reply 10 of 80
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Should be called the Penultimate Test Drive because you already know it's going back.
  • Reply 11 of 80
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    No, I was going to say:

1) Why don't they offer this dollar trial to their existing customers? It looks like Samsung has given up on trying to keep their customers from switching, and are trying to poach Apple upgraders.

2) it's not confidence then they have absolutely nothing to lose by doing this. What's the worst that could happen? Not a single trial customer switches to Samsung, so they're back to square one, but now they have a list of names and contact info with implicit permission to solicit you again in the future. I don't see a downside. It's pure win-win for them.

Exactly. They have nothing to lose. And I imagine that they won't be using brand new phones for the trials. If they did and the user opts to stay with Apple then they now have a phone that can't be sold as new and nothing to show for it. You opt to buy in, then you get a new phone. (That's why you need to return the phone at the end of the trial.)
  • Reply 12 of 80

Nice acid test for both the companies!

• Reply 13 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

3) It's interesting that they test phone has to be sent back to Samsung even if you decide to buy that exact phone.

Maybe they need those phones back because they're 'over-clocked' ones?

• Reply 14 of 80
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Nothing is truly free. Participating in this test program will be a huge waste of time. Yeah, sure, it's a nice phone but it still runs Android with all of the many issues that come with it (and what it doesn't come with, like decent support). I hear the thing still bends like butter, too.

• Reply 15 of 80
    mac'em xmac'em x Posts: 108member

"Samsung says, "There's even more love in store for you," though it's not exactly clear what the company means."

Just bend over...

• Reply 16 of 80
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

Nice way to turn an excess of unsold about to be superseded phones from a negative perception into a supposed optimistic offer, basically they have nothing to lose.

• Reply 17 of 80
    fotoformat wrote: »

My thought exactly.
  • Reply 18 of 80
    Maybe it's the first step to permanently lower the price to $1 ;)

Oh, and dear Samsung: thank you. But no, thank you.
  • Reply 19 of 80
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fotoformat View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

My thought exactly.

I too thought the exact same thing.  Samsung was caught red-handed cheating on bench scores in the past, so it would not surprise me in the least if these "special" phones that have to be returned after the trial period are souped-up, overclocked phones that would normally not exist in the wild.

An unsuspecting iPhone user will then be snagged by Samsung, wonder why the phone is running so slow compared to the "tryout phone", but by then, Samsung already took their money and ran for the hills.

• Reply 20 of 80
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

Not that I plan on getting rid of my iPhone but I may do the test to test our android client we are having done for us. Have to go read the terms and conditions.

You are interested in Google's android spyware ?    :wow: