Apple's Dr. Dre apologizes for past abuse of women, says he's a changed man

Comments

• Reply 21 of 131

Not condoning what he did or his past actions, but one has to wonder about motivation here. The only woman that went to court (Dee Barnes) settled in a civil suit (we'll never know how much money she received - but she obviously received some sort of compensation).

For advocates of woman's rights I wonder what they think of a victim agreeing to be "bought off" monetarily for something that happened to them? Would they not rather have the case proceed criminally so a wealthy person like Dre couldn't simply just settle out of court and buy their way out?

Further, Dre's net worth today completely dwarfs what he was back when these assaults occurred. I can't help but think others might be looking for a quick payout, especially considering how much money he now has. Did they really come forward because of the film and to speak their mind? Or to cash in on something from long ago?

• Reply 22 of 131
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

...that's an industry that was and is rotten to the core.

Isn't Apple now in that industry? Apple core... heh.

• Reply 23 of 131
    qvakqvak Posts: 86member
    Too funny.

So what do the leftists support now?

Muh rape culture or muh black lives matter?

Guess it's hard to keep your story straight when your entire platform is built on lies.
  • Reply 24 of 131

And yet, look how fast Apple "jumped into bed" with him. I guess the all mighty buck is worth more than a few abused women.

Nice move Tim!

• Reply 25 of 131
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

The public kills people for using the n word 20+ years ago yet barely anyone bats an eye when physical abuse occurred in the distant past.

As long as "real" discrimination or in this case physical abuse hasn't occurred recently (10 yrs), I'm willing to give second chances. Actions speak louder than words.

Lol I'm glad we've set up a timeline that conveniently matches up to your blinded support of Apple. 10 years should be the law - all convicts of this crime should be released from prison as long as they've served 10 years. 

• Reply 26 of 131
    qvakqvak Posts: 86member
    thrang wrote: »
    Yet doesn't the Compton film sort of leverage and monetize that time of his life?

Maybe if he said he was donating his profits from the film to women's abuse support groups, his sincerity might be viewed as even deeper.

I don't know what her problem is. All he did was culturally enrich her with his vibrancy. She's just a racist, classist negrophobe.
  • Reply 27 of 131

It's saddening/embarrassing to read everyone here coming to the defense of Dr Dre. Please put your egos and love for Apple aside and honestly answer this question - Would you have the same willingness to forgive if this exact scenario played out at literally ANY other company? Even further, what if this happened at Samsung? 

• Reply 28 of 131
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

I’m positive Tim Cook and the Apple executive team considered this before making the Beats deal and taking on Dr. Dre. These people aren’t stupid and they obviously knew this would surface sooner or later. People like to talk about forgiveness and second chances but the truth is, especially with wealthy celebrities, this almost never happens. They are hounded about their past lives relentlessly, even more so if there’s the prospect of monetary payouts involved. Most ‘victims’ are like that. Revenge instead of forgiveness is the norm these days.

So we’ll see how this apology goes over with the public and if this creates a PR problem for Apple. We’ll know in few days or so.

• Reply 29 of 131
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Too late for Bill Cosby, then image

Bill Cosby will be selling the entire Cosby Show collection to Apple next week for $4 billion.

• Reply 30 of 131
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

I’m positive Tim Cook and the Apple executive team considered this before making the Beats deal and taking on Dr. Dre. These people aren’t stupid and they obviously knew this would surface sooner or later. People like to talk about forgiveness and second chances but the truth is, especially with wealthy celebrities, this almost never happens. They are hounded about their past lives relentlessly, even more so if there’s the prospect of monetary payouts involved. Most ‘victims’ are like that. Revenge instead of forgiveness is the norm these days.

So we’ll see how this apology goes over with the public and if this creates a PR problem for Apple. We’ll know in few days or so.

Why shouldn't an abuser be hounded relentlessly? Paying a fine and attending a class is an easy out for a dangerous person.

• Reply 31 of 131
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

It's saddening/embarrassing to read everyone here coming to the defense of Dr Dre. Please put your egos and love for Apple aside and honestly answer this question - Would you have the same willingness to forgive if this exact scenario played out at literally ANY other company? Even further, what if this happened at Samsung? 

So there’s no way for Andre Romelle Young to redeem himself? Only his destruction will suffice? I suppose you want Apple to drop him like a hot potato, erase him from their website like he never existed like the WWE did to Hulk Hogan when an old tape surfaced of him using the “N” word? 

• Reply 32 of 131
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Can people truly change? Should we forgive them? 

Yes, it's about growing wiser. We all make mistakes that we later regret. Do you want someone to hold one of your mistakes against you for the rest of your life, despite your best efforts to live a respectable, healthy life?

I feel sorry for Dr. Dre having the past being dug up on him like this. And if he can stay true to him current path, without letting these skeletons mess with his head, then all the more respect for him.

• Reply 33 of 131
    Quote:

So there’s no way for Andre Romelle Young to redeem himself? Only his destruction will suffice? I suppose you want Apple to drop him like a hot potato, erase him from their website like he never existed like the WWE did to Hulk Hogan when an old tape surfaced of him using the “N” word? 

Yes, actually. 

• Reply 34 of 131
    ncil49ncil49 Posts: 30member
    What a bunch of drivel. If he were white and used the word ni••er he woul be gone. If he beat someone because they were gay...gone. Beats a woman, eh, let him stay. Where is the outrage apple? This should offend every woman at the company in today's touchy feely climate. Eh all part of the 'culture'. Just give me my dividend yield off the backs of millions.
  • Reply 35 of 131
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

Yes, actually. 

Boy I sure hope you don’t have any skeletons in your closet Mr. Perfect.

• Reply 36 of 131
    Quote:

Boy I sure hope you don’t have any skeletons in your closet Mr. Perfect.

I do. 

• Reply 37 of 131

It's funny that those who have responded to me haven't answered my question. 

• Reply 38 of 131
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    lkrupp wrote: »

Was this timing purposely done the day after Jared Fogle admitted to raping underage prostitutes?

coolfactor wrote: »
    Yes, it's about growing wiser. We all make mistakes that we later regret. Do you want someone to hold one of your mistakes against you for the rest of your life, despite your best efforts to live a respectable, healthy life?

So if there is forgiveness for the past where and what are those demarcation points. For example, do the people that say Dre should be forgiven and we should never speak of it again also feel the same way about Cosby, Fogle, or Josh Duggar? Should we make true forgiveness a blanket that allows for no special accountability to judge the core moral fiber of their being? If we do draw lines who draws the lines? How can we be sure they are accurate? As for 'where', I mean where in he past do we draw the line to say it's no longer considers the present? When did Fogle last rape a child? When did Cosby last drug and rape a woman? Should society forgive everything after a certain time? If so, what is the timeframe?
  • Reply 39 of 131
    ... and in all this, once someone has pleaded guilty in court, made restitution, and even settled a lawsuit, how is the victim justified in publicly dragging it back up years later?

Domestic abuse is a seriously despicable act that should never be tolerated, but we live in a country that has constitutional prohibitions against trying people for the same crime over and over again. We might never look at someone the same way after they have paid their penalty, but when the penalty has been paid, it should be the end of the story.

On the other side of this, if a civil case was settled and one of the parties is now going public with all this, isn't there a possibility that they themselves are violating a legal agreement of some sort?

And what does it say about the situation once you realize that all this happened a long time ago, but it's only being raised to the current level of attention because of a movie. Wasn't it just as bad before the movie was made?
  • Reply 40 of 131
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    mac-daddy wrote: »

Do people here really care about Dre at all, or about the products and services they want to buy? To put more directly for you, it's not about Dre. Yes, there are many other companies that people wouldn't care about this info (Beats, for staters, since they rose to the top and got bought out by Apple with Dre as the figurehead and name on their products), and yes there are other companies that would make this story more juicy as if would back up preconceived notions.